Status: Finished!

Lone Survivors

Laughing Again

I was in Dale’s RV a few days later, sitting under a blanket, trying to conserve heat as I read a book. Sleep had escaped me for so long now, and the words on the page were beginning to blur and my focus faltered. All I had been able to think about was my uselessness and how I was a waste of space, or at least to this group. I had been considering my options for leaving them, but it wasn’t a quick and easy decision.

There was movement at the door and I looked up to see Daryl stomping in, a bit dirtier than usual and looking physically exhausted, crossbow and bloody arrows sticking out from behind him. I ignored him and looked back down at my book, knowing he wouldn’t have any business here to do with me.

“Want some squirrel?” he asked, taking me by surprise. There was no one else in the RV, so he must have been talking to me. I glanced up at him again and saw he had a few furry bodies in his hands.

“No thanks,” I mumbled, wishing he’d just leave.

“I ain’t done repayin’ you for what ya did, so come on,” Daryl countered before leaving the RV. There was no way I could argue against that, so I set my book down and followed him, taking the blanket with me to cover up my rather exposed body. I only had one change of clothes, and they were still drying, so I was left with the summer’s dress I had been wearing the day the world went to shit. Daryl was trudging back to his tent and I mindlessly followed him. I took a seat on a wooden stump by the fireplace and watched as he lit it before sitting and starting to skin a squirrel.

“You probably shouldn’t waste it on me. Give it to Carl or Beth; they’re just children,” I remarked, still watching his handy work on the animal. I’d never seen anyone do it before, but it seemed like Daryl was pretty good at preparing them for a meal.

“I caught enough for everyone,” Daryl growled before shoving the meat onto a stick and setting it above the fire. He didn’t even waste the organs, and positioned them so they would get cooked too. I was thoroughly impressed. Daryl was set to provide for himself in a zombie apocalypse, as well as a whole group. He was so vital to everyone’s survival, the complete opposite of me. I hung my head at the thought, trying to convince myself to leave. It would be best for everyone. “I’m sorry for not talking to you lately. Carol’s been upset about Sophia, and so have I. I just needed some space.”

“Don’t worry about it…” I muttered. It didn’t matter. I was used to it now.

“I see the way everyone acts ‘round ya, and I was there when you shouted at Rick. I know how you feel, and I’m sorry I’ve been making it worse lately,” he continued quietly, just staring at the cooking squirrel. “You’re a nice girl, an’ ya do what ya can around here. I don’t get what everyone’s problem is.”

“But I do jack squat, and I’m an outsider. I should be shot alongside Randall.”

“Don’t say that. You’re a medic, a masseuse, a cook, and a friend,” Daryl said as he turned the squirrel over. In my periphery I saw him looking at me so I met his eyes and saw the smirk on his face. “Besides, I don’t think anyone else would be able to help me out so much when I go an’ fall down cliffs.” I smiled, remembering how much crap he had endured during that trip. What bad luck he had had. Daryl chuckled a little, and I found myself laughing along with him. I didn’t know why, but I didn’t care. It just felt so good to laugh again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks so much to anapanics, princess_annie, DareToDreamXX, TheGoodLlama, sillyfrancais, HotRanger69 and zombiexlollipop for the comments on the last update.

I'd really love to hear what everyone thought of this one and what Daryl said/did. Next one will be even better (well, in my opinion it is...), so the more comments I get, the quicker I'll update it!