Status: Finished!

Lone Survivors

A Grateful First Kiss

Things were hectic. People were running off looking for Randall, and Rick was suspicious about Shane; it was making us all anxious. I was concerned for Daryl, even though I knew he could protect himself better than anyone in the group, but I just had a bad feeling. The whole group was trying to stick together, but I could sense it falling apart.

And then they came. The huge herd of Walkers heading straight for our safe house. We had to leave. I was in the farmhouse when I noticed, but there were things in my tent that I needed, which included my backpack with the first aid kit and my gun in it. That was the only thing I needed. That one bag was so important! Of course I ran out of the house and threw myself into my tent, throwing Andrea’s gear aside as I tried to search for it. The adrenalin pumping in my veins was making me more nervous than I should be, and keeping calm right now was crucial. I cried out when I eventually found it and pulled my gun out. It was loaded, so I was good to go.

I then started to make my way back to the house. Others were already in cars, ready to leave as I ran towards them, zombies hot on my trail. I noticed the barn was on fire, and I hoped that whoever did that was okay. There was a loud growl from behind me and I turned around. The Walkers were coming quickly from every angle! With a terrified cry, I aimed and shot at them, wasting precious ammo in my frightened state. Once I was good to start running again, I turned around only to see cars leaving without me. No matter how loud I screamed, none of them seemed to notice. Desperate to leave with them, I ran on the road after them, hoping someone would look in their rear-view mirror and recognise me.

Panting, I came to a stop on the road and looked behind me. In the light of the fire I could see undead silhouettes. They were all pretty far behind me, so maybe I did have a chance. But how would I know where the rest of the group was going? The chances were that I’d never find them again. And then I heard a motor. A loud rumbling motor coming from the farm. A motorbike came into view and I recognised it as Daryl’s. Oh thank God… I could get a ride out of here and catch up with the others after all! He slowed down as he neared, and then came to a stop next to me. My face dropped when I saw Carol on the back, her arms tightly around Daryl’s waist and a face distraught with fear.

“Mandy! Why aren’t you with the others?” Daryl shouted.

“They left without me!” I replied angrily as it sunk in that I wasn’t going to get a ride. “I clearly can’t fit on, so just go without me. I’ll run for as long as I can.”

“I can’t leave you!” he said.

“I’ll get off,” Carol offered, but I shook my head.

“This is how I’ve survived so far. I’ve just kept on running,” I told them. “Just get out of here. I have a gun. I’ll be fine!” I looked back at the farm, seeing that the shadows were getting closer. They had to leave. I couldn’t possibly be responsible for us all dying.

“I’m coming back for you!” Daryl told me strongly. I smiled at his kindness, then walked up to him. Not caring for Carol’s presence, I leaned forward to hug Daryl.

“Thanks for everything,” I said in his ear, truly grateful for all the times he had cared for me. When we pulled away, I grabbed onto the sides of his head and brought him into a brief kiss. “Get outta here!” Daryl stared at me, revving his engine before taking off down the road. I noticed there was a Walker coming out of the bush by the road so I shot it, then started running after Daryl, holding on to some hope that I’d live to see another day.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you HotRanger69, Zombiexlollipop, explodenamerda, and TheGoodLlama for the comments on the last update :) Hopefully this one gets more of you readers commenting!
This story has hit 100 subscribers (yay!), so I'd really like it if more of you shared your thoughts!

This chapter is a lot longer than the usual, so I hope you enjoyed it!