Status: Finished!

Lone Survivors

Just a Bit Further

I ran. I moved my feet as fast as I could down the countryside road that the cars had just driven down on. Once again, I was alone, the other survivors long gone, and zombies chasing after me. But I was tiring, and they weren’t. That and the fact that the vehicles had alerted any that were in the bush next to the road, so I truly didn’t know how much further I could go before they got me. I tried not to think about it, but then I saw one up ahead on the road, staring at me approaching it. I slowed to a stop, huffing as I aimed the pistol and fired. Its decaying brains were splattered onto the road, so I continued on my way.

My jogging became slower and slower, my lungs not able to handle much more. They were starting to ache, even though I was willing them on. Just a bit further… I just had to keep going! If I gave up now, I’d be eaten alive, and I didn’t want that at all.

More and more zombies were coming out of the bush and were straying onto the road ahead of me. I came to a stop, wondering how to get past. They were behind me, in the trees, in the paddock, and now in front. I was surrounded, which meant I was going down. This was it.

With a gulp, I raised my gun, thinking the least I could do was take a few of them down so they hopefully wouldn’t go on to hurt any other people. I was about to fire at the ones that were chasing me from the farm when I heard it. That deep rumbling noise of a motor that had to be from a bike. Smiling and full of hope, I spun around and saw Daryl’s bike riding towards me very quickly. He came back! Daryl was returning for me! I focused my aim on the undead creatures that stood between us and shot them. Once most of them were out of the way, I tried to rush through the remaining ones, avoiding the rotting hands that attempted to grab me. Daryl was skidding to a stop and turning his bike around. I managed to get through and jump on behind him. The second I was on the bike, it sped away, leaving the hungry monsters behind. My heart pounded in my chest as I leaned against Daryl’s back, so glad he had returned for me.

I don’t know how it happened, but we all somehow ended up at the same spot. People were rushing out of cars and into other people’s arms, so glad to see them alive. I smiled at the family reunion that Rick was having as I walked past them, and then searched the group. Obviously Daryl was still alive, and I was happy to see Hershel, T-Dog and Glenn were okay, but…

“Where’s Andrea?” I asked, my voice wavering. The reality was already sinking in. No answer was needed for my mind to know. “Oh God…” My knees seemed to buckle, as if my muscles no longer worked. Arms caught me in mid-fall and pulled me back up, allowing me to cry into a chest.
♠ ♠ ♠
So thank you to my regular commenters, HotRanger69, sillyfrancais, Zombiexlollipop, and TheGoodLlama, and also to anyone who had recently recommended this story :)