Status: Finished!

Lone Survivors

Useful

Eventually the sounds died down and a young Asian man came out and walked over to me.

“Hey, I’m Glenn,” he said warmly, stopping just one step away from me.

“Mandy,” I replied to be polite, though I was sure he’d know that already. He nodded slightly but looked uncertain of what to say. “So, they send you out here to do the deed?”

“Wha- No!” he stuttered, the corners of his lips turning upwards as he laughed at my mistake. “No, they just wanted me to find out more about you, to see how much of a threat you are or how useful you would be. You can’t blame them, though. I mean, it’s not everyday this happens…”

“Not everyday there are zombies everywhere…” I remarked and we shared a little laugh. “Okay well, before all of this I was a masseuse. I have only handled a gun since I met Eric, a guy from my old group. He taught me how to aim, though I’m not really that good, and I still can’t reload very quickly… I can’t push one of those things off me because I never worked out so I’m not strong whatsoever. I relied so heavily on the other survivors, so I’m really surprised I’m not, well, undead right now…” I sighed as I looked away.

“You’re screwed without us huh?” Glenn asked and I bit my bottom lip briefly.

“Yeah… If you guys don’t want me, seriously just shoot me in the head. I’m sick of this crazy world, and I’m lonely as hell,” I told him honestly, depression once again sinking in.

“Don’t say that…” he murmured. “Um, what do you think you could offer to the group?”

“Free massages? I dunno… In the other group I was the medic who dealt with minor injuries... But I will do whatever needs doing here. I’ll be a stereotypical woman and help out wherever I can. I’ll be forever in debt to you guys,” I replied, not really knowing what to say, but hoping that what I did say would be enough. Either way, I’d respect the decision of the group. “I realise I probably don’t sound that useful, but I will be. I just…”

“You have to be,” Glenn finished and I nodded.

“I want to help…” I whispered. No one deserved to die the deaths that those monsters made happen, and if I could do something to prevent more innocent people from dying, I’d do it, even if it meant essentially being a slave for these people.

“I’ll see what I can do, okay Mandy? But I can’t promise you anything,” Glenn told me and I nodded. He left to go back inside and I watched the nature that surrounded me. It relaxed me slightly, and I realised that this could be one of the last moments of my life; looking at green scenery and listening to its peaceful sounds. At least I wasn’t being taken down by a horde of hungry zombies.
♠ ♠ ♠
So a big thanks to Average Lifesaver;; and Ravenclaw Raves for the comments! Every time I get one I'm just more motivated to continue this story, so truly, thanks. :)