Status: Finished!

Lone Survivors

A Chance

The group had mixed emotions. Everyone had a different opinion on Merle, and no one seemed to be able to settle on a certain solution. Daryl had stormed off, Hershel had left to talk to Merle, which left me, Glenn, Axel and Rick trying to sort out the matter.

“If he stays here, I’ll kill him myself,” Glenn snarled, repeating himself for the millionth time.

“I don’t wanna be ‘round him just as much as you do, if not more,” I began in the calmest voice I could manage. “But we’re under attack. We could use all of the help we can get, whether that’s Michonne or Merle. We should just hope that Daryl can keep him under control.”

“I agree. Him being good with a gun could be turned against us, but what else are we gonna do? Sit here and let the Governor attack us?” Axel questioned Glenn. Glenn’s eyes darted away, perhaps seeing our side now. “Besides, you guys gave me a chance. Should probably do the same for him.”

“If Merle is kicked out, or killed, Daryl might leave again. We can’t have that happen,” I continued. Glenn’s head snapped up and stared down Rick.

“I’m not happy about this,” he growled before walking off.

“Both of you, don’t hesitate to do the right thing if Merle steps out of line,” Rick ordered before leaving as well. I sighed, relieved that the issue of Merle was sorted out.

“Hey, can I ask ya something?” Axel asked and I nodded in response. “Well it’s… about Carol… Is she, uh, available?” I couldn’t help but smile at his shyness. He must genuinely care about her.

“I really don’t know… She’s gone through a lot since the Walkers came, from what I’ve heard… and seen. I’m sorry, but I’m the wrong person to ask,” I replied with a shrug.

“Oh, I see,” he nodded, clearly disappointed.

“Go ask her yourself.”

“What?”

“She’s the only one who knows if she’s available, so just go and ask her,” I encouraged Axel, but there was still doubt across his face. “Look, right before the shots were fired, that conversation you two were having… It’s like you two were on another planet. Just go for it, okay?”

“Yeah, okay,” Axel smiled, a tiny blush creeping across his face as his eyes looked away. “Um, I’m gonna go get some fresh air, but if you see her, just let her know I’m lookin’ for her.”

“Of course,” I said. Axel then headed towards the exit, and I went up the stairs in search of Carol and Daryl. I was surprised to find them in a cell together, laughing about something. “Oh… Um, this works out well. Axel is outside looking for you Carol, and I was looking for you.” My eyes rested on Daryl, watching his smile disappear. My tone must have been harsher than I realised.

“Excuse me,” Carol murmured, hurrying out of the cell and back down the stairs.

“Watchtower. We need to talk,” I sighed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Next chapter will be kinda intense, yet sweet, so stay tuned :)

Thank you HotRanger69, TBPFelton18 and Sarahlamppost for the comments on the last update. It was interesting to read your answers to the questions, and they'll be answered within no time. Question for this update: Axel and Carol, yay or nay?