Status: Finished!

Lone Survivors

I Feel Like I'm Losing You

“What is it?” Daryl asked when we got to our sleeping quarters. He shut the door behind him and I turned around, arms crossed and prepared to give him a piece of my mind. Regardless of the struggles of everyday life in this new crappy world, Daryl was always there for me, but now it didn’t seem like it.

“Is there something going on between you and Carol?”

What? Are you outta your mind?” Daryl retorted. “What makes ya think that?”

“Whatever was happenin’ just before. How you call me your girlfriend, and then said you came back to the prison for me, but she’s the first person you hug and I’m the last-”

“You’re overreacting, Mandy! You know I’m friends with her! Don’t misjudge my friendly actions!” he shouted, cutting me off. Daryl then exhaled loudly, giving me a look of disbelief. “If you don’t wanna do this anymore, just say so. Don’t give me stupid excuses.”

“They’re not excuses! I do wanna be with you, but lately it’s been different! We promised to always have each other’s backs, and guess what? I took a bullet because you stayed behind for your filthy brother! You weren’t looking out for me and now you’re spendin’ more time with Carol and-” I yelled back, stopping myself as I realised my loud voice probably wasn’t going to get my anywhere. “What am I supposed to think, Daryl? I feel like I’m losing you…” I breathed my last words with defeat. I was so confused about his actions and it was making me tear up. He had changed since the time he saved me from the farm’s Walkers.

“You took a bullet?” he asked with a confused face. I rolled up my right sleeve to expose the bloodied bandage on my forearm. I hadn’t replaced it for days because of a lack of supplies. Hershel would be mad. “Oh shit…”

“You didn’t even notice I was bleeding and in pain when you were leaving?” I sighed. I couldn’t believe it… Maybe we really were falling apart, just like Beth had said.

“Come ‘ere.” Daryl offered his comforting arms, so I shuffled across the room and let him embrace me. My forehead rested against his shoulder as I willed myself not to cry. “I’m sorry… I didn’t mean to hurt you, emotionally or physically.” He pulled away slightly and took a hold of my right arm, making me hiss with pain.

“It happened when I was climbing over the fence. You were supposed to be covering us, supposed to have my back, but you ran off,” I explained with sorrow. It hurt me so much every time I relieved the moment.

“I promise, I’ll always have your back, no matter what, from now on,” Daryl said strongly, staring into my eyes.

“Not Carol’s back? Not even Merle’s back?” I wondered. Daryl hesitated and I anxiously awaited his reply.

“Na, just yours,” he said with a slight smile.

“Okay,” I breathed, accepting his apology and promise. Daryl’s hand ran down my bandage until he was holding my hand, and I followed it with my eyes. Once he stopped, I looked up to see he had lent in, and within a second his lips were on mine. The kiss was wonderfully soft and meaningful, lacking the heat our kisses usually had because they preceded sex. I wanted to feel it forever, and never think about the horrors that awaited us once we stepped outside of our room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Commenters: Zombiexlollipop, TBPFelton18, Talooshig, and HotRanger69 - thanks so much for your thoughts!

This story has hit 200 subscribers, and the comments aren't very far behind! If we could get it up to 200 comments soon, I'd be seriously so happy :D

Question for this chapter: Did you think Daryl deserved all that heat from Mandy? Should she have been worrying so much?

Also, how many of you have seen the trailer for season 4? I have, and I'm excited! My blog about it for discussion.