Status: Finished!

Lone Survivors

Together

“Andrea’s here!” Carl was shouting. I almost didn’t believe my ears. My friend was alive?

“Everyone grab a gun! Be careful!” Rick commanded as he grabbed a weapon. Without hesitation he passed one to Merle, earning a nod of respect from the one-handed man. “I want everyone out front! Carol, Glenn! Stay up top and keep an eye out for others! Everyone else, you’re with me!” Daryl rushed past me, having acquired his crossbow, and we all filed out of the building behind the Dixons and Rick. By their guiding, we made it to the gate and let Andrea in, Rick checking for weapons before dragging her into the safety of inside. The moment the door was closed, I shoved my gun into Beth’s hands and pushed past the others. I flung myself into Andrea’s arms and she welcomed the hug.

“We thought you were dead,” I breathed.

“I’m so glad you’re not,” she smiled, giving me one last squeeze before letting go.

“I can’t believe I’m seeing you again,” I remarked as I stared at her face. I had truly missed seeing her soft features and blonde curls.

“Me neither,” Andrea said. “I really missed you.”

“Keep movin’,” Rick grunted as he walked past. Daryl followed after a few others, gently grabbing my hand and pulling me along. I didn’t know if he was feeling guilty about earlier or was simply being nice, or even a different reason, but I liked it.

“Wow… You two?” Andrea asked with raised eyebrows as she hurried to catch up with us.

“Yeah…” I grinned. It dawned on me exactly how new holding hands was for us.

“Congratulations,” she said sincerely before Rick called her up to the front of the group. I stopped, making Daryl tug on my arm and then turn back when he realised I wasn’t going forward.

“What is this?” I questioned, gesturing towards our intertwined fingers. “This and that kiss before… It’s different to what we usually are.” Daryl paused for a few seconds.

“Well… Do you wanna be… together…?” he asked, eyes shifting around nervously. “Not intensely together, but just… a next level, I guess?”

“Why do you say that?” I asked, smiling as he unusually stumbled over his words.

“Y’know, when I was out there with Merle… I realised how much you meant to me. It’s been buildin’ up recently, but that’s when it really hit me. That’s mainly why I came back, and- I dunno, I think it scares me that I can feel this way but… I want to keep you. I want to be together, and I mean properly, not how we’ve been doin’ it for the past few months,” Daryl explained quietly.

“That has to be the sweetest thing a man has ever said to me during an apocalypse,” I grinned, making him chuckle.

“So, what do you wanna be?” he wondered as he met my eyes.

“Together,” I agreed. We shared a few pecks on the lips before catching up to the others. Merle was guarding the door and gave us the friendliest grin I had ever seen him give. As Andrea and Carol hugged and talked, Daryl leaned against the table and pulled my back against his front, holding me close for everyone to see.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks so much to Death_to_Roses, HotRanger69, TBPFelton18, and Zombiexlollipop for the comments on the last chapter! We're closing in on 200 comments!!!

How's the new layout?

I'm sure everyone should have something to say about this chapter. Cute Daryl fumbling over his words as he tries to explain his feelings and committing even more to Mandy? Is Merle warming up? Is there Andrea drama coming up?

I really like the next few chapters and can't wait to share them with you :-)