Status: Finished!

Lone Survivors

It's Not the Right Time

Andrea had left, and Rick, Michonne and Carl had gone to search for more weapons. Daryl said he had talked to Rick and that he was in charge until Rick returned. I was glad since I felt safer when Daryl was in control. The prison was thankfully quiet, aside from the growls of hungry Walkers, and I was outside hanging up a few washed shirts on a walkway’s fence. The second I heard a silent footstep behind me my hand instantly went to my pistol on my waist and I spun around. Daryl was approaching, light on his feet as always, and a smirk on his lips as he watched the hand on my gun.

“Good to see ya heard me,” he remarked. My hand fell away, relieved it wasn’t his brother. Daryl continued to walk until he’d pressed my back against the netting, his hands gripping my head and holding me in the passionate kiss. It didn’t last. Once Daryl pulled away I couldn’t help but grin widely.

“Save some of that for later,” I chuckled, tapping his ass playfully before turning to hang up another shirt.

“With or without a condom?” he bluntly asked. His tone was so grave it made me turn back around. I was speechless. “Have you taken a pregnancy test yet?” I felt my body relax as I realised this was all he wanted to talk about.

“Yeah… I took one a while ago, but there was never the right time to tell you,” I admitted as I shyly looked at my feet. Daryl had confused me, so I had no idea what result he wanted from the test.

“So…?”

“It was negative,” I exhaled. Daryl slowly nodded, squinting at me with an expressionless face.

“Okay… Okay, good. Wrong time to have another baby ‘round this place anyway,” he said. I had no idea if he meant it or not. He was unreadable because he was so blank.

“I’m glad too, I hope you know. I was so scared of havin’ one.”

“Yeah, I know,” Daryl whispered, quickly closing the gap between us and embracing me.

“It’s an apocalypse, and you and I… There’s just nothin’ that says we’re ready for a baby, right?” I asked for his reassurance, but only received silence.

“Y’know, when I was out there with Merle, and I’d left you behind… All I could think about was you. You’re why I came back…” Daryl trailed off while pulling out of our hug. I was left wondering what was on his mind.

“I know. You’ve told me many times before,” I said, trying to encourage him to continue.

“I thought about how you… how ya might be pregnant. I just couldn’t abandon you like that. I promised I wouldn’t… I came back for the hope I’d be able to give the world a new life with someone I really cared ‘bout,” Daryl finished. For the first time in my whole life I felt truly guilty and disheartened by the fact I wasn’t pregnant.

“It’s not the right time,” I repeated, truly believing in those words.

“When will it ever be? Not in this world… Ya don’t know if you’ll make it to tomorrow. There’s never a good time for anything…” Daryl breathed in a voice full of sorrow. The only thing I could do was wrap my arms around him to attempt to comfort him. Some days even the strongest broke.
♠ ♠ ♠
I have to thank HotRanger69, Blissed, TBPFelton18, and Zombiexlollipop for the nice comments on the last update :D

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this chapter!