Status: Finished!

Lone Survivors

Wonderful

“Hey, are you busy?” Maggie asked as she popped her head around the corner. Rick was helping to cook the meal Daryl had caught, so he’d asked me to look after Judith. Daryl was busy cleaning his arrows so I didn’t mind having a task of my own.

“Well…” I started, gesturing to the bundle cradled in my arms. It depended on what she needed me for.

“I just thought you might have some time to cut my hair. I could cut yours too, if you’d like,” Maggie suggested kindly, showing me the scissors she had found. I pulled a hand through my tangled hair and noticed how much longer it had become. It hadn’t even crossed my mind to cut it… There were always more important things to think about.

“Sure,” I shrugged. We headed outside to a barricaded walkway, bringing Judith with us to get some sun. Maggie offered to cut mine first, so I sat down in front of her and gently played with Judith’s fingers.

“How are you holdin’ up?” Maggie asked softly as she grabbed a lock of hair and brought the scissors to it.

“Fine.” I knew she cared, and I was grateful, I just didn’t feel like talking about it.

“I’m glad to see you out of your room,” she remarked. I was happy about it too, even though I hadn’t necessarily done much so far. Not many newcomers had spoken to me either, perhaps unsettled by my unsociable behaviour.

“It’s still hard not to think about her,” I breathed, the distraction of Judith the only thing that kept me from crying.

“I know… She didn’t deserve to go that way,” Maggie continued. I felt the blunt side of the cold scissors moving across the back of my neck as they hastily chopped off more strands. We both fell silent for a few moments, and my mind filled with joyous memories of my friend. “Did you enjoy the hunt?”

“Yeah, actually. The fresh air and being surrounded by nature was wonderful,” I replied with a small grin. And Daryl. He was wonderful too.

“All done,” Maggie announced as a lock of hair fell back to my cheek. My dirty blonde hair was now back to shoulder length, exactly how I wanted it to be. We swapped places, and Maggie cradled Judith while I began to cut her hair shorter than mine. “I was wondering somethin’.”

“What?”

“Would I be able to go on hunts with you two?” she questioned.

“Why?” I asked as I cut a large chunk of hair off.

“Well, I want to look out for you and everything, like we promised,” Maggie started, interrupted by a squeal from a delighted Judith. “But I also want to learn from Daryl, in case I ever have to hunt for myself.”

“I can ask if we need another pair of hands,” I agreed, deciding that her reasoning was fair. As we continued to converse about hunting, I tried to imagine myself hunting without Daryl. I deduced I wouldn’t be able to catch anything, and that made me panic. Without him, I was really screwed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Past 50 chapters, over 1000 readers, and over 200 comments and subscribers. Thanks so much to everyone :D I am dreadfully sorry for the late update - I had no internet for a while, and now I have the excuse of NaNo keeping me busy XD (if you want to check it out, it's Shadow Morphs).

Thanks to Under_Your_Spell and HotRanger69 for the comments - please keep 'em coming! I know it's a bit of a filler, but hopefully it's nice to see Mandy interacting with her friend?

I'm finding the new episodes more and more interesting - the character development is great. I'm glad to see Carol go, though I can't help but think she'll be back, but I really don't ship her and Daryl. Just no. Do you feel the same?