Status: Finished!

Lone Survivors

Scavenging

Michonne and I were out scavenging. She had wanted to take the horse alone, but Rick insisted she take me for safety. Michonne did all of the searching by herself, able to take care of lone Walkers in the buildings, and I waited outside with the horse. That way, I could protect the horse and alert Michonne if any danger was nearby. I had to admit that I enjoyed being outside again. Sitting in my room grieving Andrea had taken its toll on my health, but thankfully Daryl had gotten me active and helping the group again. Michonne and I socialised on the horse ride too, and it was lifting my spirits to have another friend. The horse gave a small nicker and I spotted Michonne exiting a building and heading my way.

“Hey, I found some medical supplies,” she said while holding out her backpack. I traded it for my own empty one and opened up hers.

“That’s so great. We were getting low on penicillin after that small stomach bug outbreak,” I remarked as I spotted the drug.

“There’re books in the house, quite a few on hunting, some on medicine. Want me to grab anything in particular?” Michonne asked.

“Both of ‘em would be useful. And recreational ones, if you find any,” I suggested. With a curt nod, she went back to the house. After a short wait, I heard the inevitable groaning of a Walker. The horse’s ears turned backwards and I sensed her tension. My hand instantly went to my holster, drawing my dagger as I turned and spied the monster. Aside from the decaying flesh, the Walker had patchy hair and an eyeball hanging out onto its cheek. With a bit of focus on the task, rather than the gruesome sight, I remembered a lesson from Daryl and threw the blade at the Walker’s head. I barely hit the target, but it was a sufficient blow to the brain, so it dropped to the ground. By the time I had retrieved the knife, Michonne had returned. We mounted the horse, Michonne taking the reigns, and cantered back to the prison. Shortly after our arrival, Daryl and a couple of cars met us on the driveway.

“Glad to see you ladies back,” Daryl smiled. He was becoming closer to Michonne too, which made me content. He needed more friends, people he could trust.

“Stay safe on your own trip,” I said, taking a few steps forwards to peck his cheek. “I’ve got a present for ya when ya get back.” Daryl looked intrigued, perhaps pondering exactly what kind of present I had in mind. I couldn’t help but be concerned about his outing even though deep down I knew he’d be fine, especially since he had a lot of backup. There had been such a recent build up of Walkers on the fence… With one last look at my lover, I led the horse to the stable and began brushing her down with Carl.
♠ ♠ ♠
A cute chapter is up next so please comment and tell me what you thought about this one, as well as the mid-season finale! Wasn't that episode incredibly intense?!?!