Status: Finished!

Lone Survivors

Did You Just Say...?

“Do we really have to get up?” I groaned as I rolled over and flopped an arm across Daryl’s bare chest. He was vigorously rubbing the sleep out of his eyes while yawning.

“You’re the one who wanted to go with Michonne. Blame yourself,” he grumbled while hitting the alarm clock to make it stop. After enjoying a brief cuddle, we slowly tugged the remainder of our clothes on, armed ourselves with small blades and Daryl with his crossbow too, then headed down the winding stairs and outside. Then we noticed the awful sight of even more Walkers along the fence line. I spotted Michonne at the stables saddling the horse, and Rick and Carl doing the gardening.

“I should go,” I stated with squinted eyes from the sunlight.

“And I should find people to clear the fence,” Daryl commented, gazing out worriedly at the gathering. He swiftly took me in closer to him, planting a kiss on my forehead. “Stay safe, Mandy. I love you.” We both parted as we did almost every morning, but after a few steps I froze. I heard Daryl’s boots come to a stop too, and I slowly turned on my heel to look at him with wide unblinking eyes.

“Did you just say…?” I trailed off, unable to even repeat the words. Daryl merely blinked sheepishly, as if it was still sinking in for him too. “Daryl…” I breathed only his name, still incapable of forming any words.

“I don’t take it back,” he said simply. “Don’t know if there’s ever a right time for anythin’ these days, but you know I care about you so much and…”

“I know, and you know I do too.”

“All righ’. Well, I love you, then,” Daryl repeated. His words started to really hit me and I felt tears of joy forming.

“I love you too, Daryl,” I replied before biting my bottom lip.

“I’m never good at these situations, so I’m gonna leave now,” he said after a pause. I chuckled but then nodded understandingly, and we turned and headed our separate ways. I sporadically laughed out loud with disbelief as I headed to Michonne, passing Maggie on the way.

“What’s made you so happy?” Maggie wondered.

“Daryl just said he loves me for the first time,” I hurriedly whispered before squealing with excitement. We shared a moment of joy, full of her congratulations and praise, before joining Michonne at the stable. Maggie blurted the news to her before I could, and then we all started chatting about romance during an apocalypse. It felt as though everything was normal, just three friends freaking out about a man and love. Even though I knew there was the pending task of scavenging and killing Walkers ahead of me, all of that was pushed aside. Life at the prison was good.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks Sarahlamppost for the comment on the last update :)

Hopefully you all enjoyed reading this one, so let me know if you feel like it's the right time for them and everything.

Happy holidays everyone!