Status: Finished!

Lone Survivors

Don't Have Too Much Fun Without Me

After Michonne was bandaged, I was told that Daryl was outside digging graves, so I went out to find him. He wore a black bandana to shield his mouth, presumably from the disease the dead bodies had, which reminded me to not get too close. I cleared my throat to grab his attention.

“Stay back, Mandy,” he warned with a growl.

“I heard it’s the flu,” I stated as he jabbed the shovel into the ground, angling his torso towards me as he took a break from digging. “I had it once, back in 2009 when there was that Swine flu pandemic. It spread through the parlour within a few days, and we were closed for a month.”

“Shit,” Daryl remarked, perhaps surprised by how serious the infection was.

“Anyway, I spent a lot of time at home in bed, so I Googled what the flu was and everythin’. I ain’t no expert, but I remember a few things and I think you should tell Rick and the others,” I said, explaining part of why I had come out to see him. Daryl nodded, wanting me to continue. “The first thing that’s important is that flu is a virus. That means the drugs I have, the stuff like penicillin, ain’t gonna work. We can’t treat it with that, and we don’t have any antivirals.”

“We need to get some,” Daryl nodded, saying it before I could.

“The second thing I remember quite clearly, because it made pigs turn from a cute baby animal to a nasty one,” I said with a tiny grin. “The flu… it mixes in pigs. They’re the source of the real dangerous ones.”

“Hershel mentioned that too… Damn, I was looking forward to that pork,” he sighed. We both paused, staring into each other’s worried eyes as the unknown once again tormented us.

“I hope you’re not sick,” I breathed as he pulled down his bandanna, wiping his arm across his sweaty lips.

“I hope you’re not either.”

“I’ll give you your present when we can be together,” I said softly, smiling at the glimmer of hope that we might be allowed to touch again in the near future.

“I’m lookin’ forward to it,” Daryl grinned while holding my gaze.

“It won’t be the same without you in my bed,” I added, voicing my thoughts and killing his happy expression. My stomach sank even more.

“Yeah, well, don’t have too much fun without me,” he remarked and I couldn’t help but laugh. Shortly after, we said our goodbyes and I headed back inside, my world turning grim once more. I had no idea if Daryl and I would ever share a bed again, and the pain was already tearing up my guts.
♠ ♠ ♠
Have you guys seen the trailer for the next half of the season? Looks intense, I can't wait!

Sorry for the delay in updates - as you know I'm running out out chapters and I need to wait until the season starts up again. Even then, how would you prefer the updates? Every week and then a break until the next season, or slower so there is less of a break?

In case you didn't know, my other TWD fan fic, Skin Deep (feat. the Dixon brothers), is active again so go and check it out if you're keen for another story with Daryl in it XD I promise I won't stop updating until it's finished!