Status: Finished!

Lone Survivors

They're Too Dangerous

“I want to go,” I pleaded but Daryl shook his head.

“I’ve got three other people for backup. I’ll be fine,” he repeated more sternly, showing his frustration with my nagging. I glanced over at Michonne who shook her head, showing her agreement with Daryl.

“What if someone who isn’t with Hershel needs medical treatment?” she questioned. I sighed, knowing that it was a fair point. Even though I had been reading the medicine book, I still didn’t think that I had as much knowledge as Hershel, but at least I wasn’t useless.

“Fine… Just come back alive… both of you,” I said, worrying about them both. I was supposed to have their backs, a promise Daryl and I had made, as well as Michonne and I to Andrea. The two nodded and got in the car, and all I could do was hope that they would watch out for each other for me. I went about my chores, cleaning a few items of clothing before going back to reading about the cardiovascular system with Comet to keep me company. Rick came around the corner hurriedly and gestured with his head to follow him. I silently set the book down and left Comet, joining Rick outside in his vegetable garden.

“I have something important to say, Mandy. You can’t tell anyone,” Rick said anxiously and my heart dropped into my stomach.

“What is it?”

“I need your help with something. This conversation stays between you and me, got it?” he repeated with frustration and I frowned, noticing that he was struggling with an internal battle.

“Yes, of course! I won’t say a thing!” I promised as he rubbed a hand through his hair.

“Carol and Axel killed Karen and David,” Rick said with a bowed head. I froze with shock.

“Why?” I breathed. I honestly hadn’t thought that the happy couple would do such an awful thing. Since I heard the news of the murders, I assumed that it was one of the people new to the group who I didn’t really know yet.

“They were trying to protect us, stop the infection from spreading,” Rick explained and I shook my head. Karen and David had been put into isolation to prevent the spreading of the disease. Death was unnecessary. “I want them to leave the prison.” My heart skipped a beat as the seriousness truly dawned on me. Rick had only ever invited people into the group, not kicked them out.

“I do too,” I decided. “They’re too dangerous.” There was no way that I would be comfortable with them still living with us and having access to weapons.

“I’ll pretend we’re going on a run for supplies. I want you to come with me as backup, in case things go wrong,” he said and I nodded, glad that I was going to get to leave the prison and help keep someone safe after all.

“Of course. I won’t leave your side,” I agreed and Rick gave a tiny smile as his thanks.

“This isn’t easy for me,” he remarked as we began walking back to the building.

“I know. But it has to be done.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So, um, is anyone still interested in this story? I haven't had a comment for ages Image
Feedback is always appreciated too - let me know what would make this story better!