Status: Finished!

Lone Survivors

I'm Gonna Pretend He Did

I sat on the porch, watching the view changing dramatically. The sun was setting behind the tops of towering trees of the forest, taking away its light and heat rather quickly as we headed into the colder months. The orangey glow spread across the fields of thriving grass and to the camp of survivors, my new group. There, the women busied themselves with washing and cutting some vegetables while chatting. Somehow, smiles were made, a few laughs sounded, and a positive atmosphere was maintained. Part of me wished to join them, to forget that the world I had known no longer existed, that it had crumbled into the hands of the undead, but the rest of me refused to do such a thing. I just wanted to stay here with my thoughts.

The men were working in general around the campsite too. Some were atop the RV with guns, keeping an eye out for any creature that dared approach the farm. Others were checking things like that the tents were still secure in the ground, that the fire was going strong and that there was enough wood to keep it that way, and other little basic activities to aid the group. Everything seemed to be running smoothly, as if they were all just friends out camping, or on a hunting trip. It’s amazing how deceiving the scene was.

I was still in shock from the incident that had happened earlier with Daryl. Even though the sun had been in Andrea’s eyes and Hershel hadn’t been around, it still stunned me that such an event had occurred and that I had essentially been put in charge. I wasn’t a leader. I was a mere woman who couldn’t do much at all. Once everything had calmed down and I had finished, I had left to sit out here and just think. This world was so hectic. I needed time to just pause and get away from it all.

A pair of small birds flew past, tweeting so joyously it made me jealous. What was I doing here? The group was full of lovely people who obviously could survive well enough on their own. Surely I was just a risk? Wouldn’t I end up weighing them down when it came to escaping, or simply just depleting food sources quicker? I was a burden. Patching up one person and massaging a few others wasn’t going to change that. This new world, these people, they don’t need me… Next time there’s a conflict I should just-

“Daryl’s awake. He wants to talk to the one who saved his butt,” Hershel said from behind me. I turned and gave him a weak smile.

“He said ‘butt’?”

“No, but I’m gonna pretend he did,” he replied with a small smile. He gestured towards the door of his home and I stood, ready to see Daryl.
♠ ♠ ♠
Bit of a meh chapter, but at least you know what's going on inside her head a bit more. Probably won't be updating this as often because of NaNo, but I'll try my best to remember.

Thanks to Bakers Gonna Bake for the comment and rec. You others should get commenting too! At least tell me what you think of the new layout! And of my Halloween costume ;)