Status: Finished!

Lone Survivors

This is the Consequence

“Can I have a minute alone with you, Mandy?” Carol asked and I immediately looked up at Rick. He had just dropped the bombshell on her that she had to leave with Axel and never return to the prison, and her request to be with me alone had made my stomach sink. Rick subtly nodded so I breathed in and walked away from the men with Carol.

“Carol, I-”

“Don’t,” she interrupted my stammering while looking to her feet. “I know what I did, and this is the consequence. I’ll have to deal with that.”

“You’ll be fine out there,” I reassured her and she nodded, bringing her gaze up to look me in the eyes. I finally saw the sorrow that she was masking.

“You will have to tell Daryl that I’m sorry. I know he values our friendship- I don’t want to abandon him,” Carol said quietly. “I know he has you, but with the age difference-”

“Age has nothin’ to do with our relationship,” I countered with a creased brow.

“It’s just that he’s closer to my age and we talk about more mature-” Carol began, cutting herself off as I glared at her. “Never mind. Just send him my regards.”

“I will,” I agreed, feeling as though there was nothing left to say. I already felt differently towards her, knowing that she had killed in cold blood. She wasn’t the Carol I thought I knew, and Daryl probably felt the same way. After Rick had ensured Axel and Carol would be fine, they drove away and we got into our own car to return to the prison. I sighed with relief, feeling the weight lifting off my shoulders. It was finally done. The two murderers were gone, and no longer a danger to anyone.

“I don’t know how to tell Daryl,” Rick stated as we neared the prison.

“We’ll do it together, then,” I suggested with a tiny shrug. “He has to understand… No one would want her there once they found out, right?” Rick gave a small nod and I sensed that he was still trying to reassure himself that he had done the right thing. Once we got out of the car, I ran ahead and searched for Daryl. I found him in our watchtower with a book in his lap and I assumed that he was trying to wind down from his outing.

“Hey, we need to- Is that the hunting book?” I exclaimed as I recognised the front cover.

“Yeah, I found it in your bag,” he shrugged and I sighed. “What?”

“That’s your present. I was hiding it,” I stated slowly and his face relaxed into a grin.

“Well thanks, I like it.” I couldn’t help but smile as I picked up my medicine backpack, pulling out the fiction novel that I had wanted to surprise him with too.

“And Michonne found this book as well. I know you like reading, so I asked if I could have it,” I said quieter as I passed the smaller book to him. Daryl skimmed the back cover and then embraced me.

“Thank you. I mean it,” he whispered before giving me a short kiss. I gazed into his eyes and savoured the moment before I did the inevitable.

“You have to talk to Rick now,” I said with a slightly trembling voice. Daryl’s face fell grim and my stomach sank, sensing that he wouldn’t take the news well.
♠ ♠ ♠
Relieved that there are still active readers of this! Thank you Dixon-Darling., KillJoySynner, avenged angel, Sarahlamppost, TBPFelton18, and amymariemichelss for the comments and showing your interest!
I haven't seen the new episode of TWD yet, but what did you guys think of it?