Status: Finished!

Lone Survivors

Focus

“Mandy!” Daryl cried as he dropped, slamming into the Walker. With ease, he shoved a knife into its skull and then helped me back to my feet. He growled as he effortlessly reloaded the gun and put it back into my hands. “Come on! Focus! You can do this!” I gulped and nodded, not wanting to let him down, but the intensity of the situation seemed far too much for me to handle.

“I can do this…” I repeated and after inhaling slowly, I concentrated and fired once more.

“I need you to cover me! I’m gonna move forwards and try to get rid o’ the tank!” Daryl shouted as he crouched at my side. I took out another Walker before I looked across at him and saw how serious he was. He really thought that he could take on the tank.

“Okay, be careful,” I pleaded as he shifted forwards and grabbed the Walker that had almost killed me. I gave him a hand at heaving it up and once Daryl was sufficiently hidden behind it, he moved out from the shelter. Daryl distracted the enemy so I took the opportunity to give them a burst of bullets. I wounded one right before Daryl chucked the grenade at them, taking care of them for good. “You good?” I called out as Daryl pressed forwards, still firing, but he didn’t reply, perhaps from concentration. A Walker behind me demanded my attention and I sunk a knife into its skull, noticing how many more were making their way towards us.

“Grenade!” I faintly heard a man shouting and I fell to the ground behind a metal table. A massive explosion rang out from behind me, stunning me for a few moments. After I fired at the next Walker, I forced myself to rise and check if Daryl was still standing. My eyes widened as I saw that the tank was on fire. He did it. Daryl actually took down the tank. I chuckled with disbelief and hope as I spotted him aiming his crossbow at something out of my view. When he fired it, I knew that we would be just fine. I directed my attention back to the few Walkers behind me and ensured they were truly dead before I exited my cover. Daryl was making his way towards me, even more Walkers behind him.

“Let’s go this way,” he ordered with a nod as he passed me, but I didn’t follow.

“But- the bus!” I stuttered as I faced the other way, searching for the vehicle.

“It’s gone! We need to go!” Daryl called out as he fired his crossbow, taking down another Walker. I sighed as the Walkers blocked our route to where the bus had been, and then ran after Daryl. If anything, he would be able to keep me safe.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks again to TBPFelton18 for the comment :)