When the Lights Go out You Will Understand

Part Three

Skip first period with me tomorrow? Meet in Starbucks at 9? Love Frankie xo

I remember I was quick to reply, smiling as I did so.

Sure thing =] Love G xo

Frankie never skipped classes, so his change of attitude confused me slightly, but it meant I got to spend more time with him so I didn’t even think to question him. I should have taken it as a warning.

I woke up feeling refreshed despite my hatred of Monday mornings. School had been less than pleasant since I had started being associated with Frank, but it was all worth it.

Frank felt extremely guilty that I too was now a target of the idiotic adolescents in my school, and it seemed to bring him down, no matter how many times I assured him that it didn’t really matter.

Perhaps this was the reason we we’re meeting in the local Starbucks rather than going to English.

English on a Monday was always a nightmare due to it being mixed abilities, meaning most of the assholes that bullied Frankie, and now me joined us in the small classroom.

After washing and getting dressed I skipped breakfast, deciding to grab something when I met Frank.

The journey wasn’t long, however about half way to my destination a sudden realization dawned on me; On Friday I had left my precious sketchbook in my grimy school locker and I desperately wanted to show Frank this idea for a comic book I had hastily scribbled down. He was my muse and he had such amazing ideas.

I stopped walking, feeling the bitter breeze brush past my flesh as I pulled up my sleeve to check the time. Skipping breakfast had left me a bunch of spare time, so I decided I might as well go and grab the book from school first.

The scruffy yard was deserted when I reached the looming building, signaling classes had already started.

”The quicker I get in, the quicker I can get out.” I muttered to myself before making my way towards hell.

I managed to get to my locker without being seen, but the more time I spent dodging staff and pupils, the more I realized that it had been an idiotic idea. I rapidly spun in the combination and the dented metal coffin sprung open with a slight creak.
Spotting the aging front cover of my sketchbook, I grabbed it and gently closed my locker for the last time.

I had almost made it to the door when I felt a hand press down on my shoulder, making me jump.

”Going somewhere Mr. Way?” came the gruff voice of the principle, Mr. Richards

”I... Uh, I’m going home ill Sir?”

”I highly doubt that. Where are you supposed to be now Way?”

”English Sir.” I recited miserably

”Come along then.” He growled before marching me down the hall.

We stopped sharply outside of my class and Mr. Richards knocked loudly on the wooden door.

I was in turmoil. What would I tell Frank? This couldn’t be happening!

Mrs. Oliver’s serious face peered out of the window before she ripped open the poor door with such force that I was sure the handle would come off in her hand.

”I believe this belongs to you Stacey?”

”Thank you Tom, I was just wondering what happened to him and Iero today.”

”He's not in either?” The principle questioned.

”No, he’s not turned up. Unusual for him.”

”I’ll keep an eye out for him. Kids these days seem to think they can turn up to lessons when they please.”

Usually I would have laughed at the phrase “kids these days” however I was sulking and too disappointed in myself.

I sat in my usual place, the crooked old desk toward the back, away from the judging eyes of my peers.

But not from their mouths apparently.

”Out fag fucking Iero hmm?” hissed someone to my left, I didn’t look up from my desk.

”Hey Gay Way, how’s your midget boyfriend? Have you paid him yet?” sneered somebody to my right. I was too engrossed by studying a doodle on my desk to pay attention.

And so the lesson continued like that for a few more minutes, but when the door slammed open I actually looked up.

Frank stood there looking scarily determined.

I was confused, why was Frank in school? Unless he was looking for me… I checked my watch, no he should still be in Starbucks, he would have waited longer for me than 10 minutes.

”Mr. Iero, how nice of you join us. Care to take a seat?” Mrs. Oliver snapped at Frank as he walked in and closed the door behind him. I felt anger bubble up in my veins. How dare that bitch speak to Frankie like that.

”Yeah whore, sit down. It’s what your ass is supposed to be used for.” Snickered some smart ass jock from the front row.

”I’d shut the fuck up if I was you Jackson.” Frank sneered making everybody, including me, gasp. Mrs. Oliver looked like she was about to explode, however that expression rapidly melted into one of horror.

Frank had stuck his hand into his jacket quickly, and with a flash of silver he stood with a gun pointed straight at Jackson’s head.

”Still wanna say something?” Frank laughed cruelly.

Nobody dared speak as Frank waved the gun around, pointing it at different people.

”So, nobody has a word to say? Not one? I’m going to make you pay, every single one of you. You think you can get away with tormenting people for your own sick pleasure?” Frank’s voice increased in volume with every word he spat at the silent class.

”Well maybe I would have accepted it. Just maybe, but no you had to go and pick on Gerard…” Frank spoke menacingly but as he glanced at my desk him mouth opened in shock.

”Gerard?”

I swallowed hard and nodded as a few people turned to stare at me.

”What the fuck are you doing here?” Frank asked hysterically.

”I got caught and brought here.”

”Shit… shit you’re not supposed to be here Gee….” He muttered as he dragged his fingers through his hair.

Somebody in the front row made the mistake of snorting in amusement and Frank’s wild eyes where on them in a flash. Along with the gun, held in his shaking hand.

”You really wanna test me fucker?”

Mrs. Oliver seemed to break out of her terrified trance and moved closer to Frank, meaning the gun was now on her.

”Now come on Frank. Do you really want to do this? You have so much going for you.”

”Since when do you care, you’ve been nothing but a bitch to me since school started” Frank spat, focusing the gun on her heart as she looked down ashamed.

I stood up slowly, the screech of my chair against the flooring making everybody jump.

Frank spun around, his eyes filling with tears when he faced me.

”Frankie… put the gun down.”

”I...I can’t Gee.”

”Yes you can, you’re stronger than this.”

”They’ve terrorized me all my life Gee, it’s got to stop.”

”It will stop Frankie, just not like this. You can do this, please… for me?” I spoke slowly and quietly, trying not to upset him.

A deathly silence rang over the room as we all awaited Frank’s decision.

I stepped around my desk and stepped closer to the frozen Frank, the whole room holding their breath.

One Step.
Two Steps.
Three Steps.

SMASH.

The noise echoed around the room as the gun hit the floor. Frank kicked it away and slowly began moving towards me.

”Oh Frankie…” I whispered as I saw the tears running down his cheeks while Mrs. Oliver saw her chance and picked up the abandoned gun.

I pulled Frank into a tight embrace as he neared me and he out his arms around me and began sobbing.

”I…I’m so sorry Gee”

”Shh, it’s okay Frankie.”

”I almost did it though… I almost lost it.”

”But you didn’t, that’s the difference. Your stronger than you’ll ever know Frankie and I love you for it.”

The door was kicked down before I could register. Before anybody could register.

The noise of the gunshot bounced off the walls.
Screams.
Shouts.
Tears.

I watched in horror and disbelief as Frank’s eyes widened in shock.

Students ran as the SWAT team filed into the classroom.

The noise was deafening, but I couldn’t care less.

I was too focused on the broken, bleeding boy in my arms.

He fell to the floor; there was blood, so much blood.

I felt warm tears burn my cheeks as the fell.

”Frankie?” I whispered.

”G…Gee?”

”I’m here Frankie, I’m here.”

Somebody pointed a gun at my face and told me to put my hands up. I ignored them.

Mrs. Oliver was screaming at them. I ignored her.

”I love you too. I fucking love you Gerard.” Frank said, bringing memories of him hanging out of the window to my mind.

”I’m gunna miss you Gee-“

”Stop right there, this is not goodbye. You have to hold on!”

”I can feel it Gerard. It’s too late.”

”No Frankie, you’re gunna be okay, and then we’re gunna live happily ever after.” I sniffed.

He brought his hand up to mine and our fingers intertwined.

”I love you Gee, I always will.”

”I love you too - so damn much” I whispered as I bent over.

Our last kiss was full of sorrow and pain.

I broke away for breath but Frank didn’t need air anymore.


Once Gerard had finished talking he had tears streaming down his face. He stood up and left without another sound.

Mrs. Corner waited until the door closed before wiping the water from her eyes. Her hand burned from all of the writing, but hopefully it was for a good cause.

She ripped out the page she had been writing on and added it to the pile before putting them all together in a file.

She reached for the box of tissues while placing the file on her desk, the official writing standing out against the navy blue file.

Evidence Against: Officer P. Brown
Case: Belleville High
Victim: Frank A. Iero
♠ ♠ ♠
3/3 Tis complete!
I wrote this at 2:25AM and I found it really hard to write.
Sorry it was slightly delayed, exams kinda killed me and my inspiration.

I'm really doubtful of this so please, some feedback would be awesome ^_^