Status: on-going

Fated to Love You

Chapter 2.2

Time skipped as she laid there, not asleep but no longer aware of the world around her, when she opened her eyes it was already dark. She sat up and looked around as she waited for her eyes to adjust to the darkness. The school was deserted and the complete silence gave off an eerie feeling that made Abigail wish she wasn’t alone. A bit scared she quickly headed to the exit trying hard to subdue the desire to run from the darkness. She walked along the stone path until finally reaching the metal gate and then turned down the road where the street lamps illuminated the pavement. The small orbs of light relaxed her a bit and she headed toward the café where she had worked. I’m suppose to open the shop in the morning, she thought to herself, but was unsure how her presence would be of any help.

The air was cool, and the wind blew steadily. A strong gust swept by causing the nearby tress to dance under the moonlight. Abigail shivered, although she was no longer capable of the senses she had taken for granted in life her perception for that which should be caused a physical reaction. She stared down at her feet as she walked the rest of the way making sure each step was more precise than the last, every so often looking up to be sure she had not passed her destination.

When she reached the huge windows in front of the café she realized that the sign on the door said ‘open’. What time is it, she thought, cupping her hands she pressed them against the glass and peered into the window of the café. As she strained to read the small clock that was hung above the bar area the sky began to brighten. She briefly looked up at the sky then back through the window where she saw Mr. Henry somberly wiping down the counters. She sighed heavily the feeling of remorse returning then, hearing voices, she looked over her shoulder trying to locate the source. The noise steadily grew louder as a group of high school students approached the café. The noise faded as she watched them disappear down the slope as they headed toward the school. She heard footsteps coming from the road and when she turned to look she saw Jason hurrying across the street toward café -insert name here- a slight smile on his face.

He opened the door to the café, the small bell chiming as he entered. Abigail did not dare to follow him inside, instead she watched through the window her open hands resting firmly on the glass. She watched as Jason spoke, Mr. Henry responded softly as he lightly shook his head, his eyes never leaving the counter. Jason froze momentarily then, in a sudden rush of anger, he quickly leaned across the counter and grabbed ahold of Mr. Henry by the shirt. Abigail could tell he was yelling, but was still unable to hear. He pulled Mr. Henry closer as if to say your lying, but Mr. Henry remained silent still shaking his head wearily. Jason’s eyes grew wider and with a jerk he released his grasp on Mr. Henry’s shirt then hurriedly exited the building, the door slamming behind him, the small bell clanged as it hit the floor. Abigail continued to watch as Jason ran across the street back toward his family’s café and home. He grabbed his bike that was stored at the side of the building and rode frantically in the direction opposite of the school.

Abigail rushed after Jason, afraid of what he might be thinking. She had to run full force in order to keep up with his frenetic pace. She wasn’t sure how long she had been running, but the destination was a river bed on the outskirts of the city. She slowed as she approach a dark-red wooden bridge that was placed over a deep clear-blue river. The bridge sat high above the river and steep hills lead down to the flat shore that was covered with grey pebbles varying in size. The water swallowed toward the shore and Abigail remembered the few times she had walked the edges allowing herself to feel the cool water beneath her bare feet.

She stopped by Jason who had thrown his bike down and was now tightly gripping the railing of the old bridge. He rocked back and forth, still holding the rail, as he stared into the water. “AHHHHH,” Jason screamed loudly causing Abigail to jump. His voice carried, but there was no one around to hear. The river remained desolate during the colder months and only seemed to attract visitors during the summer when the children were no longer in school. Abigail watched helplessly as Jason screamed again this time shaking the railing of the bridge. “IT’S NOT FAIR!” He shouted, the after a brief pause, he repeated “It’s not fair,” this time softer. He turned around roughly and headed down the hill toward the rocky shore. He knelt down briefly, grabbing a handful of rocks and one by one he chucked them into the river. Abigail sat on the hill watching as Jason took his anger and his sadness out on the unsuspecting river. Then when he seemed to have calmed down she made her way down the hill and back to his side.

Jason stared into the rushing water, his fist were clenched tight as he yelled at the river once more, “YOU WERE SUPPOSE TO WAIT FOR ME!” he paused, “she said she’d wait for me,” this time his voice was but a mere whisper, streams of tears falling from his eyes. He wiped them away quickly but, no longer able to hold them back, he sat down and burying his face in his knees he let the tears fall freely. Abigail’s heart dropped as she remembered the promise she had made Jason, and the first date that would never come. She sat down next to him and placed her hand on his shoulder trying to comfort him. She was almost in tears herself, but felt more at fault for his sadness so she wouldn’t allow herself to cry. Her efforts to comfort him were useless and as the frustration grew the tears escaped down her face. She rested her head on the hand that was placed on Jason’s shoulder and softly whispered, “I’m sorry.”

Abigail remained by Jason’s side a while longer clinging to what she believed would be their last moments together. She got up on her knees and kissed his head as her final goodbye. Jason looked up, as if responding to Abigail’s kiss, but he just stared off into the distance, past Abigail who stood before him. A gust of wind brushed past them and Jason laid his head back down still unable to confront reality. Abigail made her way back up the steep hill. Reaching the top she looked back down at Jason, whose frame looked small against the back drop of the river. She wanted to stay with him forever, but she knew it wasn’t possible. Trying hard to suppress her emotions she turned and headed back toward the city.