Status: on-going

Fated to Love You

Chapter 2.3

Abigail dragged her feet as she walked feeling the weight of the moment upon her. Now what? she thought to herself, her eyes directed toward her feet. Not conscious of where she was going, she ended up at the scene of her accident. She looked at the crosswalk, where dead leaves had began to gather, and then at signs that had failed her. Heading toward the middle of the road she shouted, “NOW WHAT!”, her arms were outstretched and her head tilted back, her eyes fixated on the sky. Her voice echoed, but nothing happened. Shouldn’t there be a tunnel of light that comes to take me away…or worse a darkness so deep that my eyes would never adjust…shouldn’t there be something. Confused by the silence Abigail sat down on the pavement, bathing in the glow of the sunlight. What am I suppose to do, I don’t know what to do, her thoughts were frantic. Abigail was a perfectionist in life, she enjoyed planning out her days and setting goals for her future. The past few days had been nothing but chaos and her current situation, as uncontrollable as it was, left her feeling helpless.

She laid down on the blacktop her arms and legs outstretched in her acknowledgment of defeat. She had given up, she recognized that this event was uncontrollable and realized she could only go with the flow from here. She sighed, almost in relief, and closed her eyes. She let her mind wander thinking about the possible outcomes that may occur in the future. Would she be stuck how she was now forever, not alive, but walking the earth unable to connect with those around her. This thought frightened her. Taking a deep breath she gathered her negative thoughts and with the exhale she released them. She lied there in silence trying to keep her mind clear when she was startled by loud voice bellowing from above her.

“Abigail Conner,” the voice was deep and piercing causing Abigail to open her eyes instantly. They met with a tall man who stood just to the right of Abigail. She sat up quickly and looked up at him. The man was dressed in white from head to toe. His white satin suit was paired with a white dress shirt and tie that matched. Even the shoes he wore were white. The pure bright color beneath the shining sun made the man appear as if he were glowing. The only item that contrasted his monochromatic attire was a tiny sterling-silver set of angel wings which he had pinned to his breast pocket.

Abigail stared in disbelief, “A-angel?!” she blinked a few times to confirm that she wasn’t hallucinating. The man seemed to take no notice of Abigail’s awe as he flipped through a handful of papers he had fastened to a wooden clipboard.

“Well everything seems to be in order, your case is certainly a rare one,” he said in an unconcerned tone. He handed the clipboard and a silver plated pen to Abigail who was still seated on the pavement. She took them instinctively, then looking at the top paper she read the title aloud, “Rebirth.”

“What is this,” she questioned looking back up at the man in white.

He knelt down beside her and leaning in he whispered, “ It’s your resurrection and his salvation.” He grasped her hand lightly and guided it toward the solid line at bottom of the page. When the tip of the pen touched the paper he asked in a serious tone, “Don’t you want to live?”

“I-I don’t understand,” she said confused, her voice was shaking. She looked to the man for guidance, but only felt the pressure to sign the document he had placed before her. She wanted to read it over and understand the decision she was about to make, but she could feel the man’s gaze upon her as he stood back up and began to slowly pace the cross-walk. She took a deep breath and signed the bottom of the page. I hope I don’t regret this, she thought to herself as she stood up handing the clipboard to the mysterious man.

He eyed it carefully, then lowering the clipboard he looked at Abigail and in the same unconcerned tone he said, “Perfect.” With that he snapped his fingers and for a split second everything went dark. Abigail looked around her, they were no longer in the middle of the street, but instead in the high school. She looked behind her briefly, noticing a stairwell, then, facing the front once more, she eyed the long hallway lined with rows of tall grey lockers. They seemed to be endless except for the few doors which interrupted the flow, each one leading to a classroom. The hall was dim and although there were lights overhead, the main light source seemed to be a small window that was positioned to the right of Abigail just before the row of lockers began. She focused her attention back to the strange man as she tried to understand the situation.

“Why are we at the school,” she questioned trying hard not to sound demanding.

“It’s time for you to meet the kid that will save your life,” a small smile was on his face, but it did not feel like a happy one, instead it radiated an aura of sadness and caused Abigail to worry. The bell rang and students began to flood the hallways. Abigail and the man moved to the corner of the room and observed the fast pace of the scene. The students were quick to go to their lockers and then they cleared the halls once more. When the silence once again filled the room the man said, “There,” his arm was outstretched pointing somewhere in the distance. Abigail followed the invisible line with her eyes and came across the only kid remaining in the hall. He was stooped down on the floor collecting his fallen books.

“Him?” she questioned turning around to face the man in white, but he had already disappeared, leaving her with questions unanswered. I guess so, she thought to herself as she moved closer to the boy. His jet black hair was slicked back and the excess gel made it shine under the hallway lights. Abigail watched as he stood up and headed toward a classroom. She eyed his baggy uniform, as he walked, wondering the actual size of the boy. Using his index finger he pushed up his oversized black-rimmed glasses, which had begun to slide down his nose, then turned the silver knob on the door that was in front of him. Abigail followed the boy into the class room and remained by his side. She could hear whispers and giggles from the other students as he took his seat. She looked around the room feeling nostalgic about her high school days and with a heavy sigh she whispered, “I hated high school.”

The boys seat was located next to a wall which Abigail leaned her back against and sat down. She could hear the teacher speaking, but her mind was too filled with her own thoughts to comprehend the lecture. She looked up at the boy who was staring intently at his text book, so he is going to save me, she thought, but how? Her mind rushed with the possibilities, maybe it will be like Frankenstein’s monster and I’ll rise from the dead, she chuckled at her stupidity. Maybe he can see the dead and that’s why he looks so nervous…he knows I’m here. She looked back up at him and began to wave her arms fiercely, “Yoo-hoo, down here if you can see me then look this way.” The boy didn’t even flinch. That’s not it, she thought as she slide her legs in closer to her body hugging her knees.

Abigail zoned out until she once again heard the sounding of the bell. She watched as the other students left the room, but the boy remained seated staring at his clasped hands resting on his desk. Abigail stood up expecting the boy to eventually move as well. Standing in front of him she laid her hands on his desk and bent down to observe his face. He looked up, but made no notion that he could see her. If you can’t even see me, how are you suppose to save me?, she questioned feeling a bit lost.

She walked over to the door and peered down the hallway. In the short amount of time they had remained in the class room the school had become deserted. Abigail looked back over at the boy who had begun to collect his books. He gently placed them in his back pack and headed out of the classroom. He walked through the halls slowly, as if lost in thought, while Abigail trailed behind him. She continued to follow him until he reached the huge gate at the front of the school. I don’t think it would be right to follow him home, so I’ll just wait here, she thought to herself still following the boy with her eyes. When he was out of sight she sat down against the stone wall and waited.