Walking Travesty

Ten

I wake up to my phone buzzing. I groan and roll over, grabbing it off my nightstand. I feel well rested for the first time in a while. I'd gotten into a stupid fight with my mom about doing the dishes last night, and had holed up in my room the rest of the night, finally passing out around nine.
I open the text.

Alex:
Hey, where are you?

I frown and exit out of the message and stare at the time. Ten fifteen. "Fuck." I jump out of bed and start getting dressed quickly as I dial Emily's number.
"Hola," she answers cheerily.
"Em, why the fuck didn't you wake me up?" I ask as I tug on a pair of jeans.
"You didn't answer your phone," she says, sounding confused. "And your house was all dark. I figured Alex picked you up."
I groan and pull a hoodie over the tank top I'd worn to bed. "No, he didn't. Can you come get me?"
"Sure thing, Lina-bean," she says before hanging up.
I quickly run into the bathroom and brush out my hair and put my makeup on in a rush. I brush my teeth and grab my bag and shoes before I run out the door where Emily's waiting in her car.
She hands me a cup of shitty gas station coffee that she must have gotten earlier, because it's lukewarm. I drink it anyways. "Tell your parents to leave the door unlocked so I can come wake you up if necessary," she suggests as she speeds down my street.
"Or I could just remember to set my alarm," I say with a little laugh.
"That works." We pull into the school parking lot a few minutes later. "Have fun. Don't lose your virginity in a bathroom stall."
I roll my eyes and get out of the car. "Bye, Em."
I hurry into school, just in time for gym. Great. I kind of wish I'd slept a little longer so I could skip it, but nope. Luck was clearly not on my side.
I hurry to the girls locker room where I quickly change into a tank top and sweatpants. I walk out into the gym while tying my hair up into a messy bun. As soon as Alex spots me he runs over to me. "Hey, where were you this morning?" he asks worriedly.
I shrug my shoulders. "Overslept. Anything new in English?"
He grins. "Apparently Romeo was just lovesick over his ex and basically wanted to fuck Juliet to forget about her."
I laugh and, after Coach Grett yells at us, we start jogging around the indoor track with everyone else. "So the guys and I have a show Wednesday night," he says as we start our second lap. "You wanna come?"
I smile. "Sure."
"Sweet."
We stay quiet for the remainder of the mile jog, mainly because I'm out of shape and can hardly breathe, much less speak.
We finish before the majority of the class, so we walk over to the bleachers and sit. "You had fun yesterday, right?" he asks suddenly.
I raise my eyebrows. "Yeah, why?"
He shrugs his shoulders and pulls the beanie that he's wearing over his hair more. "I dunno, you seemed kind of... mad when you left."
I pull on the drawstrings on my pants. "No, I was just tired."
"You sure?"
"Positive."
"Because if I ever do anything to piss you off, just tell me," he says. "Or punch me. I have a habit of saying things wrong."
I smile at him. "You weren't who I was mad at."
He raises an eyebrow and locks his caramelly eyes with mine. "So you were mad."
I frown and take my hair down and re-tie it up before I answer. "No... just slightly annoyed."
"With Emily?"
I sigh. "It's not important."
"Lin, you can tell me anything."
"It's not important," I repeat, my voice coming out a little snippy. He frowns and I sigh. "Sorry. I just don't want to talk about it."
"That's fine, I shouldn't have pressed."
Just then a tall, curvy brunette girl waltzes up to us. "Hi Alex," she greets with a wide, lip gloss-y smile. "Jack told me about your show, I can't wait."
Alex smiles. "Sweet, I'll see you there."
She looks like she's going to try to drag the conversation on longer, and I would be blind if I didn't notice her green eyes surveying Alex, but then she walks over to a group of friends, leaving us alone again. "She was checking you out," I announce, turning my gaze back to Alex.
He grins and shrugs his shoulders. "Can you blame her?"
I roll my eyes and poke his arm. "Damn, you're quite the modest one."
He laughs and I realize suddenly that he's my boyfriend. He, the guy that that gorgeous girl was just checking out. Weird.

Nothing eventful happens for the rest of the day. Alex and Jack have band practice, so Emily picks me up and drives me home, and I stay in my room doing homework until my mom calls me down for dinner. Then more homework. Fuck, I almost wish my teachers would take pity on the crazy, suicidal girl.
♠ ♠ ♠
Kind of a boring chapter, sorry :/
Comments make me happy :3