Walking Travesty

Fourteen

The week comes to an end, and my dad doesn't come back. I keep almost asking my mom about it, but stop when I see the sad look in her eyes. Had he truly left this time then?
My phone rings and I'm brought back to current reality. I stop stirring my Ramen Noodles and answer the phone. "Hola, Fagkarth," I greet cheerfully.
"Hello skank," he replies with a small laugh. "My mom's bitchin' about you not coming over for dinner yet."
I laugh when I hear his mom yell at him in the background. "I'm not doing anything tonight," I offer as I take the cooked soup off of the burner.
"Sweet. How does six-thirty sound?"
"Mah-velous dah-ling," I say in a cheesy accent.
"Okay, awesome."
I hang up just as my mom walks into the kitchen. "Hi sweetie," she says as she opens the fridge and starts looking around. "What sounds good for dinner?"
"Um, actually, Alex just called and I was gonna go over there for dinner." I grab a container out of the cupboard and pour the soup into it, then stick it into the fridge.
"You guys are getting pretty serious, huh?" she asks with a wide smile.
I shrug and nod a little. "I guess."
"He's a sweetheart," she informs me as she starts making a dinner for herself. "And I know I'm nearly thirty years older than him, but he's a hottie."
I laugh and lean against the counter, watching her cook. "You're such a pedophile."
She smiles, the skin around her blue eyes crinkling. "Go get dressed," she orders, waving her spatula in the direction of the stairs. "And remember, he might be a total babe but-"
"I can never get my virginity back," I finish for her with an eye roll as I walk towards my room. "And 'babe' is so eighties, mom."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"So Lina," Alex's mom asks halfway through dinner. "What are your plans for the future?"
"Um," I laugh a little nervously and chew and swallow a piece of pork chop before answering. "I haven't really figured it out yet."
She smiles, and I can see a little bit of Alex in her face. "Well, if you could do anything, what would it be?"
I cock my head to the side and purse my lips as I think. "I don't know. I like writing."
Her eyes brighten. "Then become a writer!"
I laugh at her enthusiasm. "There's like, a one percent chance I'd make it."
She rolls her eyes and takes a sip of wine. "Who cares? If you like it, do it. No one's stopping you."
I'm about to answer her, when Alex interrupts. "Are you done, Lin?"
I glance at him, then at my empty plate. "Yeah. Do you need any help with dishes?" I direct my question to Mrs. Gaskarth, who, like my mom had when Alex had offered, shooed us away.
"Sorry," Alex says as we walk into his room. "She was on her second glass of wine, and if we didn't get out then she would have given you an inspirational lecture on following your dreams."
I grin and sit cross legged on his bed, which is sort of hard to do in my skinnny jeans. "I like her." I really did. I was a little nervous pre-dinner because I was afraid of saying or doing something stupid, but she and Alex's dad had been so nice that I felt like we were all the same age.
He smiles and lays down next to me, crossing his arms behind his head. "You never told me you write."
I start playing with his hair, pushing it around and messing it up. "I'm awful at it."
"I doubt that." Suddenly his eyes widen and he sits up. "Oh my gosh, I completely forgot to ask you!"
I look at him confusedly. "What?"
He jumps up onto his feet, then dramatically gets down onto his knee. "Lina, I know we've hardly been going out but..." I giggle and watch as he digs into his pocket and pulls out a crumpled up ticket. He frowns at it for a minute, trying to smooth it out, but gives up and holds it out to me. "Will you go to senior ball with me?"
I raise an eyebrow and stare at the wrinkled piece of paper. "I don't know, I'm not really into dances..." I tease.
He frowns and sticks his lower lip out as far as it will go. "Pleeeease?" he whines. "This ticket cost me half my soul practically."
"And you crumpled it in your pocket," I say with a laugh. His frown deepens. "Of course I'll go with you, douche bag."
His face brightens and he jumps back onto the bed, attacking my lips with his. "Yay, I have a date."
I roll my eyes and snatch the ticket from him before he can cause anymore damage to it. "Don't be surprised if I show up in my pajamas."
He shrugs his shoulders. "Jack's threatening to show up naked, so no one will notice you."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alex drove me home, and when we pulled in my mom's car was missing. I debate on whether or not I should invite him in, but decide against it. I really don't want my parents both coming home and arguing, with Alex to witness it again.
He kisses me softly in the dark car, and I return it before pulling away. "I'll see you at school," I say as I unbuckle my seat belt.
"Goodnight," he replies, kissing me once more.
"Night." I get out of the car and shiver a little at the cool night air. I hurry inside and watch Alex's headlights disappear, then shut the front door and flip on the lights.
In the kitchen I find a note on the counter.

I'm assuming you're a good child and are reading this rather than being impregnated by Alex. Went out with some friends from work. Be home late xoxo

I frown at the piece of paper. Friends from work? My mom didn't have friends. Not that I knew of anyways.
I shrug it off and head upstairs to take a shower.
When I get out I change into pajamas and crawl into bed, feeling surprisingly tired. I turn off the light and fall asleep in a matter of minutes.
♠ ♠ ♠
Lina's outfit: http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=64502150
I'm sorry. This chapter sucked. But I gained eight more subscribers since last night, and two comments! Thank you so much :)