Walking Travesty

Sixteen

After an after-school-beach-trip that turned into a push-each-other-into-freezing-water-trip, Alex drove us to my house. We both hurried inside, shivering the entire way.
"I hate you with a passion so hot, it could fuel the flames of Hell," I say for probably the forty-fifth time since we'd left the beach.
He grins and we both push off our soaking wet shoes and walk upstairs. "Too bad that hate couldn't warm me up right now. I'm fucking freezing!"
I roll my eyes and dig through my drawers, looking for something that might fit him. "Maybe you shouldn't have pushed me in the water?" I suggest as I toss him sweat pants and a t-shirred that are too big on me."
"Oh please," he scoffed as he catches the clothes and starts stripping off his t-shirt. "You got like, one foot wet. You pushed me fully in!"
"And then you shoved me underwater..." I shiver at the memory, and then try to subtly check him out as he pulls off his dripping wet jeans, leaving him in only his boxers.
"You deserved it." He pauses just before he's about to pull on the sweats. "If you wanna see me naked, you can ask instead of just staring."
I laugh and turn back to my dresser to hide the pink in my cheeks. "Sorry, skinny, hairy band dudes aren't my type," I tease as I grab a sweater and jeans for myself. He laughs and wraps his arms around me and rests his chin on my shoulder. "Don't touch me, I'm wet," I say as I nudge him away.
He laughs again and turns me around so I'm facing him. "You're wet, huh?" he asks with a smirk.
"You're a pervert," I giggle as I playfully smack his arm.
He smiles and kisses me once. "You're the one who's announcing her wetness to me..."
I roll my eyes and pull him in for a kiss. His lips are shockingly warm against my frozen ones, and he moves his body closer to mine, seeming to thaw me the closer he came. His hands go on my waist, pushing me against my dresser, and he deepens the kiss, sending sparks through my body. I bite on his bottom lip, making him moan and dig his fingers into my hips. I knot my fingers in his damp hair and fight his tongue with mine for dominance.
His hands slide under my shirt, and I push him away a little. "My mom's gonna be home soon," I gasp out as I try to catch my breath.
He sticks out his bottom lip that has faint teeth marks imprinted onto it. "I knew we should have gone to my house."
I smirk, then step away from him. "Turn around, I have to change."
He raises an eyebrow. "Are we forgetting I've already seen you topless?"
I blush and motion for him to turn around. "I don't care. Turn."
He laughs and with an eye roll and an exasperated sigh, turns away from me. "You're such a prude, Lin."
"Maybe if you hadn't pushed me in the water I'd let you look," I tease as I pull my soaking clothes off.
"You're mean," he whines.
"I know." I pull on my dry clothes, then sneak up behind him and jump on his back.
He laughs and pretends to stumbled under my weight. "Damn, you're a fatass," he teases.
I smirk and lock my legs around his waist and my arms around his neck. "Take fatass downstairs, she hunters."
He does as he's told, purposely almost-falling on the stairs, making me scream and slap his arm. He skips into the kitchen, but slides to a stop when we come face to face with my dad.
"Hi," he says, raising an eyebrow at the fact that Alex was giving me a piggyback ride.
"What are you doing here?" I ask, my voice sounding angrier than I'd intended.
He raises both eyebrows, but doesn't comment on my attitude. "Just to drop these off for your mother." He holds out an envelope for me and I slide off Alex's back and take it from him.
"Okay," I say as I stare at him, waiting for him to leave, and can't help but notice the lack of a ring on his left hand.
"Bye," he says bluntly before leaving the kitchen and walking out of the house.
I sigh and walk past Alex towards the fridge. I glance at the envelope and frown when I see that the return address is the law office downtown. "You okay, babe?" Alex asks as he walks up behind me and rests his chin on my shoulder.
"Yup," I reply as I open the fridge and stare into it without really seeing the contents. Law office? Why was he giving her a letter from a lawyer?
"You don't seem okay," he murmurs, planting a soft kiss on the side of my neck.
"It's nothing," I mutter, tossing the letter onto the counter, then grab a jar of salsa and shut the fridge. "Do you like chips and salsa?" I ask as I walk past him. He says he does, so I grab a bag of tortilla chips from the cupboard and sit at the table. He follows me, and I notice him watching me curiously. "What?" I ask as I open the chips.
He shrugs his shoulders and opens the salsa. "Nothing."
I raise an eyebrow, but rather than press him, I start eating.
We've finished half the bag when I hear the front door open. "Lina, I'm home," my mom calls out. "If you're having sex with Alex, you're grounded."
Alex and I both laugh, and I reply, "Oops, we're totally having hot, unprotected sex in the kitchen."
My mom's walks in a second later and smiles at us. "Hi Alex, how are you?"
"I'm awesome, Diane, bow are you?" They had somehow gotten to a first-name relationship, which I sort of liked.
"I'm good. Are you staying for dinner?"
Alex frowns a little. "I can't, band practice." He smiles again, revealing his dimples. "I'll take a rain check though."
My mom's laughs and pats him on the head, which makes me smile. "I'm holding you to that, sweetheart."
"Wow, should I leave you two alone or..?" I joke as I stand and start putting away the food.
They both grin, then Alex stands up. "I actually should probably go grab my clothes and get going." My mom's raises both eyebrows, and Alex quickly clarifies. "You're daughter threw me into the ocean. I'm not wearing purple, girl sweats for a fashion statement."
"And yet you wear purple, girl jeans," I tease, before grabbing his hand and pulling him to the stairs with me. Once we're in my room, he grabs me and starts kissing me. "My mom's downstairs," I giggle as I push him away from me.
"You should come over after practice," he says, before kissing me again.
I return the kiss. "I can't," I say between kisses. "I have to talk to my mom about something." My mind wanders back to the letter my dad had delivered. Had it been divorce papers?
He pulls away from my mouth and pouts. "Fine. What about after you guys talk?"
I laugh and nod. "We'll see."
He kisses me some more, leaving my knees weak when he turns to get his clothes. "I will return your clothes soon," he promises with a chuckle.
"Awesome, but they look super cute on you," I say with a grin.
He rolls his eyes and kisses me again, then laces his fingers with mine and walks downstairs with me.
When we get to the door he kisses me one last time, then calls out a goodbye to my mom, and leaves. I walk back into the kitchen where my mom is seated, staring at a thin stack of papers, the torn envelope on the table. "Dad dropped that off earlier," I say carefully.
She looks up suddenly, and her face is emotionless. "Alex is such a sweetheart," she says, ignoring my words as she shoves the papers back into the envelope.
"Mom..."
"Wanna just order Chinese or something?" she asks as she stands up and walks to the garbage can, dropping the envelope inside.
"Mom, what's going on?" I ask, even though I already know.
"I'll give you some money," she says as she walks out of the room. "I'm gonna go out," she calls behind her.
I walk after her, and follow her upstairs. "Mom, answer me!" I yell through her closed door. "What were those? Divorce papers?"
"Don't worry about it."
"Oh, okay, my dad moves out and drops off papers from a law office. I won't worry about it," I say sarcastically.
"Lina, please." her voice is shaky, almost like she's about to cry. "It's not your business."
I laugh. "Actually, it kind of is."
"I'm not talking about this right now."
I clench my fists, mutter "Whatever," then storm into my room and collapse on my bed. A moment or two later I hear something smashing against her wall, followed by faint sobs.
Guilt floods through me for pressing the issue. She had to be torn apart. They'd been together for twenty some-odd years, and he was just... Leaving. For real this time.
Even though I'd never cared much for my dad, I feel tears coming. They were more for my mom than anything.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry if this chapter is lame... Lots of drama is forthcoming ;)
Special thanks to NervousHolyGhost for always leaving amazing comments :)