Walking Travesty

Twenty-Four

"LINA!" a voice screams, jolting me awake. I groan and throw an arm over my closed eyes, trying desperately to block out the sunlight that's piercing through. "Lina, get the fuck up. You're in so much trouble."
"Mom?" I ask, my voice scratchy and full of sleep.
She starts yelling again, rambling on an on, making my headache worse. "I thought when you weren't answering mine or Emily's calls you were hurt, or sick or..." she trails off, then her voice rises again. "Get the fuck out of that bed right now. Both of you."
Both? Suddenly blurry memories from last night hit me, and my eyes fly open. First I see my mother who currently looks like a serial killer, then I look beside me to see a tired, frightened looking Alex. And he's naked. We both are. "Shit," I mutter under my breath.
My mom's still yelling, and Alex is trying to reach off of the bed to grab his pants while still covering the bottom half of his body with the blanket.
My mind is going a million miles per hour, which my hangover doesn't particularly like. I slept with him. We had sex and I can barely remember it. God, mom's going to kill me .
Alex manages to get his jeans off the floor and starts sliding them on under the blanket. His cheeks are flaming and he seems to be looking everywhere but at me and my mom.
When he finally becomes decent he stands and makes eye contact with my mom. "I'm really sorry. We were drunk and I-"
My mom laughs and I squeeze my eyes shut. "Oh, okay. The fact that you guys were underage drinking makes me feel so much better about this."
"I... just, it's not Lina's fault. Neither of us were thinking straight and I'm really, really sorry," he continues to apologize. "Don't punish her though. It's completely my fault."
My mom laughs again and I look up to see her angry eyes flipping between me and Alex. "Unless you forced her, which I highly doubt you did, it's both of your faults."
Alex's shoulders droop as he lets out a sigh, and I can't help but notice the scratch marks up and down his back, and my face heats up even more. "I know we shouldn't have done it, but I mean... didn't you ever make mistakes when you were our age?"
I quietly groaned, knowing exactly what she was going to say in response. "Yeah, and I wound up dropping out of high school to take care of a baby."
"We used protection," I lie, hoping to lessen her anger.
"So did I, sweetheart," my mom says, but her voice goes from angry to annoyed. "It doesn't always work." Alex continues to apologize and take the blame, and I know if I were my mom I would be smiling and telling him it was okay, but it doesn't seem to be working. "I don't want you seeing my daughter anymore," she says simply.
"What?!" I yell, starting to stand up, then sit back down when I remember I'm naked.
"You heard me," she says with a shrug.
"Please," Alex begs. "We won't sleep together, I swear."
"Go home, Alex," she says, crossing her arms.
"But-"
"Go home." The anger in her voice scares me, and obviously works on him too, because he grabs his shirt off my floor and gives me a sad, apologetic look before leaving my room.
"Mom, you can't just do that!" I yell.
She raises an eyebrow. "I think I just did." She walks over to my nightstand and grabs my phone. "If I catch you communicating with him anyway whatsoever, except for at school, I swear to God, I'll kick you out."
Before I can argue with her she leaves my room, slamming the door behind her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next morning my mom insists on driving me to school, and neither of us say a single word the entire ride. Actually, we haven't spoken since she'd kicked Alex out yesterday.
She pulls up to the school and I immediately jump out of the car, slamming the door behind me. It's pouring out, so I hurry into the warm building. I'm already late, so I skip my locker and head straight to English.
"Thank you for joining us, Lina," my teacher says sarcastically.
I roll my eyes and don't grace him with an answer. I look over at Alex as I make my way to the empty seat beside him. His eyes are focused on a notebook he's scribbling in, and he doesn't even look up when I sit down.
"Hey," I say softly as I set my backpack down next to me.
His eyes dart over to me, and he smiles, but there's something off about it. "Hey," he replies, then his eyes go back to his notebook and he continues writing.
Okay then ...
I don't speak to him for the rest of class, but my eyes keep shooting over to look at him. Was he intentionally ignoring me? Mom probably freaked him out
I let out a sigh of relief when class ends, and stand at the same time he does. "I'm sorry about yesterday," I apologize as I follow him out of class. "She'll probably forget about everything in a few days."
He stops at his locker, opens it, then finally looks at me. "Lin, we need to talk," he says quietly, and I notice he's not looking me directly in the eye.
"About...?" I ask, and I have a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach that whatever he has to say won't be good.
"I um... I think we should take a break," he stammers out, running his fingers nervously through his hair.
I stare at him for a minute, before I can finally speak. "Oh," is all I manage to say. I cough uncomfortably and cross my arms. He was breaking up with me?
He sighs and shuffles his feet. "I just... I think it would be good for both of us. I mean, maybe after graduation we could try again or whatever. I'm sorry, I just-"
"No, I understand," I interrupt, though I don't understand in the slightest. "Um, I gotta get to class." I quickly walk past him, trying desperately to fight away the nausea that's forming in my stomach. Rather than go to class I head for the front entrance and escape into the fresh air.
I start walking and try to ignore the rain and try to ignore the fact that my heart feels like it's slowly twisting and breaking apart into a million pieces.
He broke up with me. The one person who made me completely happy. The day after I slept with him he fucking broke up with me. I'd lost my virginity to him, can hardly remember it, and he broke up with me.
I feel like punching something or crying.
I finally get to Emily's apartment complex, praying she doesn't have classes today.
I'm relieved when I see her car parked in front of her door. I ring her doorbell, and a minute later it opens. "Lin, what are you..." she trails off. "Sweetie, what's wrong?" she asks, worry filling her face.
"Alex broke up with me," I say simply.
Her eyes widen, and she pulls me inside, immediately crushing me in a hug. "What? Why?" she sounds horrified as she drags me down the hall and into her apartment.
"He said we should 'take a break'," I sigh as I sit down on her couch, not currently caring that my clothes are dripping wet.
"Well, that's not really breaking up..," she says. I glare at her, and she loses her optimistic behavior. "Okay, that's breaking up. Did he say why?"
I shrug my shoulders and lean against her when she sits down. "Not really. Just that he thinks it'll be good for the both of us."
"What a dick," she mutters under her breath. She puts her arm around my shoulder, giving me a half hug. "Whatever, you deserve better."
"No I don't," I say softly. A lump is rising in my throat, and I can feel tears coming, but I swallow and force them away. "I don't know what I did wrong." Had our sex been bad? I can't really remember.
"You didn't do anything wrong," she assures me, pulling me closer. "Guys are just crapwads who don't give two shits about girls feelings." I sigh, and listen to her give me a sort of pep talk on the terribleness of the male gender, even though none of what she says relates to Alex. Whatever reason he had for breaking up with me, it was probably because I had done something wrong.
I always have to fuck stuff up
I close my eyes and cuddle closer to her, and try to clear my head.
♠ ♠ ♠
Dun dun dun.
Sorry, this chapter's really random and a tad dramatic but yeah.
Anyone got any predictions on why he broke up with her? ;)