Walking Travesty

Nine

After we're done sticking our tongues down each other's throats, we pack the car back up and drive to his house, where Emily and Jack are just waking up.
"Good morning," Alex yells in a singsong-y voice.
"Fuck you," they both groan in unison as they sit up in his bed and rub their eyes.
Emily seems to realize she's topless, because her face turns beet red and she quickly pulls the blanket up to cover her chest. "Uh, could you pass me my shirt, Lin?" she asks as she nods her head to her discarded piece of clothing.
I pick it up off of the floor, along with her bra and hand them to her. "You guys look like you had fun last night..."
Emily bites her lip and grins, glancing over at Jack who's giggling like a little girl. "No idea what you're talking about," Emily says as she manages to put her bra on while holding the blanket up.
"What about you two?" Jack asks, wiggling his eyebrows up and down. "You were alone together all night."
"Please tell me you at least kissed her," Emily asks as she pulls her shirt on and stands up. "She was convinced you hated her the other night because you didn't."
Alex looks at me and I blush. "I didn't say that!"
She rolls her eyes. "Whatever, you were thinking it. So did you?"
Alex smirks and slides her arm around my waist. "Maybe."
"Awww," Emily says, holding her hands up to her chest, then reaches down to grab her jeans. "My baby's growing up so fast."
I roll my eyes. "God, you're acting like he's my first boyfriend."
She buttons the jeans and studies us for a minute. "Well he's the only one that's not a dick."
Alex laughs a little and pulls me closer to him. "Thanks."
"It's hard for him to be a dick, seeing as he doesn't have one," Jack informs us as he stands up, wrapping the blanket around his naked body.
"Oh, like you do," Alex teases back.
"He actually does," Emily says with a giggle.
We stand around talking about sex organs for a while. Well, Emily, Jack and Alex do, I just kind of stand there laughing at their immaturity.
"Okay," Alex says, changing the subject. "Jack, get dressed, wash my contaminated sheets and blankets, call my mom and apologize for any disturbance you might have caused last night." Jack snickers, then Alex and I leave the room. We go into the kitchen where he starts making scrambled eggs for our hungover friends. "You didn't really think I hated you, did you?" he asks suddenly.
I pull myself up to sit on the counter and pull on the loose threads of my distressed jeans. "Um, I don't know," I shrug. "Emily reads into stuff too much."
He glances at me, then looks back at the frying pan. "I just didn't want to scare you off," he says as he walks over to the cupboard to get two plates. "I mean, I knew you weren't into the whole date thing."
I raise my eyebrows. He had been afraid of scaring me ? "I don't get scared off too easily," I say with a laugh. "I'm crazy, remember?"
He fills both plates with the food and sets them on the table. "See, you keep saying you're crazy, but you seem perfectly normal to me." He turns to face me, and the way his eyes are studying me makes me fidget a little.
"You hardly know me," I point out. "After a while, I just... get weirder."
He smiles a little. "You can't get much weirder than Jack, and I've been best friends with him forever."
I laugh a little, and as if on cue, Jack and Emily walk in, arm in arm. "Aw, Lex you made us breakfast," Jack says, patting Alex on the head before he and Emily sit down at the table. "Such a good little housewife." Alex rolls his eyes and sits next to me on the counter, and we watch the two scarf down the eggs in a matter of seconds.
"Did you call my mom yet?" Alex asks.
"Stop rushing me man," Jack says as he puts his plate in the sink. "She's gotta be all bitchy about the fact that I screwed someone other than her."
Alex looks at me. "See, you can't get much weirder than him."
Emily's head pops up and she grins. "Uh, Lina can."
I roll my eyes and stand up. "I'm gonna go use your bathroom, okay?" he nods and I walk around the corner into the small room.
I can just hear them through the door, and apparently they were staying on that same subject, because Alex says, "I don't believe you."
"She's weird!" Emily insists with a chuckle. "She's always had this weird obsession with dying. You know how normal little girls plan their weddings?" she asks "Well when she was seven, she had her entire funeral planned out."
I frown and take my time peeing so I can eavesdrop a little. "Why?"
"No idea. I mean, I love her to death, but she can be a little... odd sometimes."
"She seems really nice though," Alex says, making me smile.
"I'm not saying she isn't," Em clarifies. "It's just... I wouldn't blame you if she scares you off. Just... be nice about it if you break up with her. I don't want her trying to kill herself again."
My frown comes back, and I quickly flush the toilet and wash my hands. When I come out of the bathroom, they've changed the subject to baseball. Alex smiles at me and wraps his arm around my shoulder, but I can see a worried look in his eyes. After a few minutes I clear my throat. "Well, I need to get home. My mom wanted help with something," I lie smoothly.
"Yeah, I should get going too," Emily says.
We all walk to the door and Alex tilts his head down to kiss me once. "I'll see you at school tomorrow," he says, smiling again.
"Yep, see ya." I hurry outside to Emily's car and wait for her to finish saying goodbye to Jack.
I know I shouldn't be, but I'm mad at her. Everything she'd told him was true, but that doesn't mean she had to say it. I frown and slouch in the seat and kick my feet up onto the dashboard.
She gets in the car a few minutes later, smiling and humming tunelessly. She notices how miserable I look and frowns. "You okay, Lina-bean?"
I shrug my shoulders. "I don't feel good." That isn't really a lie. My stomach is starting to churn and the car seems too confining.
"Get me sick and I'll murder you," she threatens lightheartedly as she starts driving.
I grumble in response and press the side of my forehead against the cool window and watch the houses go by.
♠ ♠ ♠
Unedited, so it might suck horrendously. :P
Thoughts on this chapter? :)