From Beauty to Ugly

From Beauty to Ugly

Rick looked in the mirror and hated what he saw looking back at him. He would do this everyday. He would wonder why he was cursed with this look. ‘Ring, ring,’ the phone rang. He let it go to voice message.

“Hello Rick. You’ve just been promoted as our top reporter! Aren’t you happy? I know you’re there. Pick up so we can talk properly. Congratulations!” Bob, Rick’s boss, said into the phone.

This added to Rick’s mood. It made him madder. He didn’t want to get promoted. He barely even liked his job. He slacked off the most out of the entire news company he worked for. All he did was sit in a chair eating Doritos why everyone else worked. He wondered how in the world he had gotten promoted. He didn’t even have to wonder because he already knew the answer. His look.

The main thing Rick’s look bought him his girls, ladies, and women. They could be pretty, ugly, fat, skinny, black, white, Asian, Chinese, Japanese, you name it, they were all attracted to him. Once he was passing by a mother and her daughter and he heard the daughter gasp and say, “Wow, mom! He’s the most handsomeness man I have ever seen in all my life!” The fact that little girls admired him made him feel queasy.

“I’m sick of this! I hate my look! I hate myself!” Rick yelled into the mirror.

A lady appeared out of nowhere. She looked him up and down. She stared at his blonde locks. She looked appalled by the height of him. She gazed into his baby blue eyes, admired the perfect weight he seemed to have had, and touched his smooth skin. The thing that was stranger than the fact that she appeared out of nowhere was that she kept a straight face as she was analyzing him. Well, and that she was ugly. So very ugly. The ugliest thing Rick laid eyes on. He was flabbergasted at how unappealing, hideous, and revolting she looked.

“Do you wish to become ugly like me?” she asked. Her voice wasn’t at all like her look. It was a soft smooth voice. “I was once as beautiful as you are handsome. One day I couldn’t stand it and yelled at my mirror. A tornado formed right in the middle of my room and knocked me out. When I woke up I was like this, as you see me now. ‘You are as you willed to be. Enjoy,’ the voice of a teeny fairy told me. She’s made me appear to you through some kind of device.”

“This is a dream. I’m dreaming,” Rick muttered.

“This is no dream,” the woman said and vanished suddenly.

24 hours later

Rick woke up. He looked around and noticed he was wearing a gown. He was laying on one of those hospital beds. “Doctor?” he called.

“Oh, you’re up. You’ve been unconscious for a whole day exactly. How do you feel? Your blood pressure dropped immensely,” the doctor said.

“Can I have a mirror?” Rick asked. The doctor handed him a mirror. Rick was dumbfounded at what he saw looking back at him. He saw a vicious, foul face looking back. He took a glance down his body. He was fat. Not chubby fat. Overweight fat. He realized how the woman who visited him was looking. She was looking down in the dumps. That’s how he felt just now.

“Is anything wrong sir?” the doctor asked.

“Nothing,” he replied and they let him check out.

Later on he found out he had a job as a garbage man. It’s like the entire universe changed from his one change.

“Be careful what you wish for,” he heard a tiny, creepy voice say. The funny thing is, he didn’t exactly wish for it. His mind was wishing it but he didn’t wish it in words. He wondered about this. Rick shrugged his shoulders and walked off into the world.