Status: Under construction

Liquid Harmony

Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Andy groaned as the light creeping in from his blinds fell across his face, waking him up. His cellphone, which was laying on the mattress beside him, was ringing and Jinxx’s name appeared across the front. The thought of getting up, let alone going to band practice, made his head pound. It wasn’t the thought of having to sing again, or being around his best friends. Amps and hangovers don’t mix well, he knew from experience. He picked the phone up, knowing he couldn’t avoid Jinxx, he tried to sound at least a little pleasant.

“Hello?” His voice sounded sleepy.
“Hey, I’m here. Are you ready?” Jinxx asked.

“I’ll be out in a minute.”

Rubbing his eyes, he stepped out of bed and crossed the room to his dresser. He pulled open the bottom drawer and pulled out a pair of pants and a shirt at random, tugging them on. He wasn’t in the mood to be fashionable. His hand caught at the delicate silver chains of the two lockets around his neck. He had almost forgotten about that. He fumbled with the tiny clasp and removed Olivia’s locket, carefully opening the drawer and setting it back into its box. He sighed and pushed the drawer shut before a new rush of memories could flood his mind. Making his way through the quiet apartment to the door, he grabbed his car keys and decided to skip breakfast.

When they pulled up to Jinxx’s house, Andy recognized his friends’ cars parked in the driveway. He followed Jinxx inside and down to the basement which the band had turned into their practice area. With opening the door came the sound of laughter and CC’s drums. He ducked as to not hit his head on the low beams on the ceiling above the staircase. Everyone looked up as he entered.

“About time!” Jake joked, slapping him on the back as he walked by. “Where’ve you been?”

“Sleeping,” Andy said as he grabbed the mic off the top of an amp. “Did I miss anything?”

“Not really.”

From one look around, Andy could tell that this had been one of those practices that resulted in little to nothing productive. A couple of empty chip bags lay discarded around the room, and it seemed that at some point a small food fight had erupted while Jinxx was gone. He was kind of disappointed he had missed out on the fun.

Ashley sat in the corner, draped across the leather couch, his nose buried in his phone as he texted someone.

“Another whore?” Andy asked, putting the mic back down and walking over to where he
was.

“No, this one’s actually a nice girl. I met her last weekend at a strip joint.”

CC came over baring his drum sticks in one hand and a bottle of beer in the other. “Yeah,
Ashley ended up with my woman.”

Ashley laughed as he returned to his phone. “I can’t help they want a ride on
this disco stick.”

CC stuck his tongue out at the bassist. “I bet I’ll pick up a good one on this tour.”

Andy felt a small pit form at the bottom of his stomach. The band was doing Warped Tour, and he had secretly been dreading it. The thought of all of Olivia’s things sitting in a lonely apartment tore at him, and it felt too much like moving on for him to be comfortable. As much as the memories were haunting, they were all he had left. He couldn’t afford for them to fade.

The room fell silent for a few moments before CC spoke up. “Well,
who wants to go celebrate?! It’s not like we’re getting shit done anyways!”

Everyone looked at each other for a moment before a chorus of agreement broke out, and the band began shuffling out the door.