Innocence Found

Chapter Two

The next day Darcy walked into the main lobby of Stark Tower to find Thor talking to Tony in, what can only be described as, a yelling whisper. Darcy stood in the doorway and slightly coughed to make sure they knew she was there. Just in case they were talking about something she’d rather not know about.

“Hey guys! What’s the haps?” She smiled at both the men she had adopted as her surrogate family since joining SHIELD. She watched at Thor rubbed the back of his neck, he had been spending too much time about Steve, as a nervous habit. She titled her head to the side and squinted her eyes slightly in a warning sign that he should tell her or she’ll threaten to tase him again (she had actually broken her taser in that last incident with him but she wasn’t going to tell anyone that!)

“It appears the substance that covered my brother yesterday had caused him to feel unwell” Thor looked down at the floor and an odd expression covered Tony’s face when Darcy turned to him to ask him how exactly Loki was feeling. Tony assumed she wanted more information and put an arm around her shoulders and directed her to the nearest sofa.

“Basically, Lewis, Reindeer Games hasn’t actually left his bed since yesterday evening. He said he’s feeling dizzy but he doesn’t want any visitors and if anyone ‘dares to enter his chamber’ he will ‘eviscerate’ them.” Tony put on, what Darcy assumed to be, a horrible interpretation of a British accent. Darcy looked around the room and saw that Thor was still in the same position he had been when she entered the room. She assumed that Gods didn’t really get ill and he must be a little worried for his brother. She raised herself up from the sofa and walked over to him, putting a hand on his arm so as not to startle the Thunder God, and assured him that she was sure Loki would be fine and they don’t let any old guy be a God so he was definitely badass enough to kick a little illness in the teeth.

The rest of the day went quite smoothly, well as smooth as things can go when your employers are a bunch of superheroes, Darcy filed the paperwork that Coulson had asked her to and was just about to start packing away her things and head home for her meal for one and trashy TV night when she heard the phone on her desk begin to ring. She sighed and contemplated not answering it but she saw ‘Room 42’ on the caller ID and thought back to Tony telling her all rooms above 35 were bedrooms and Darcy’s curiosity got the better of her and she answered. Mistake number one.

“Hello, Darcy Lewis’ desk.” Coulson and Fury had instructed her on the ‘correct’ way to answer her phone and since she already disobeyed their rule about work attire she figured she owed them at least a teeny ounce of an obeying employee. She did not expect, however, it to be Loki’s voice on the other end.

“Miss Lewis. I need your assistance. Please come to my room at once.” He didn’t even say please! Or goodbye for that matter. He just hung up! Darcy had half a mind to just walk out the door and not even give him a second thought. Of course… The other half of her mind reminded her that Tony had told her that Loki hadn’t wanted any visitors and yet he had sought her out to ask her to come and see him. She put her bag down on her chair and walked down the corridor toward Tony’s elevator and pressed ‘42’ on the panel. The elevator ride only took a short while but Darcy didn’t want to chance walking through the maze that is Stark Tower and missing a chance to rag on Loki whilst he was too ill to defend himself.

When she walked into Loki’s room she was not prepared for the sight that she was met with. Loki was sat up in his bed, propped up by countless pillows, with about three duvets bundled onto the bed and tissues absolutely everywhere. He opened his eyes and looked at Darcy when she came in the room. He looked like someone had just stolen his favourite toy. Darcy never thought Loki, the guy who complained at her when she walked too loudly, could look so sad and dejected.

“Loki? Are you ok?” Darcy cautiously stepped towards his bed and was met with him sniffling at almost every step she took. When he spoke he sounded like he was completely bunged up and she wondered if he previously had a cold or if this was the illness that had befallen him as a result of the orange goop.

“No. Woman. I am not alright. My head is in pain and I can hardly breathe through my nose or my mouth and as a consequence sleep is evading me. I haven’t eaten for a while and although your mortal food is stomach churning I find myself in want of soup. Chicken soup. If you could.” He tilted his head to the side when he decided which flavour he wanted and Darcy smirked at him.

“I am possibly the best person you could have called my good man, er… God! I happen to have chicken soup for lunch every day and I skipped it today so I still have it with me!” She went to turn and retrieve her bag when she cursed herself for leaving it on her chair in the office. She swivelled back around to face the god with an apologetic look on her face.

“I’ve left it in my bag, which is in my office. I’ll be back in like, ten minutes. Tops!” Darcy was planning to send a quick text to Tony to tell him that Loki just had the sniffles and that she, for some reason, had been allowed into the inner sanctum of Loki’s bedroom and did he have anything for God-like-sniffles-induced by orange goop. Of course, Loki being Loki dashed that idea.

“Never mind Miss Lewis. Would you *sniff* sit with me and tell me what *sniff* has happened about the clean up of my *sniff* research room?” She couldn’t help but smile a small amount as his description of the lab he had been working in. Between Loki and Thor she had so many new phrases to describe things around the tower. She stepped over to his bed and sat down on the side of it, pushing her shoes off and placing herself on the pillow mountain next to him. Darcy was always the girl who made herself too much at home too quickly but Loki hadn’t seemed to pick up on it. That or he was too ill to care that she was in his bed. Darcy’s inner devil giggled at the fact that she was in Loki’s bed but the angel admonished her and reminded her that he was sick and needed taking care of. Darcy explained that Bruce was helping some interns clean the mess left behind and that they couldn’t do it after returning last night because the smell in the room was horrible. Darcy was dreading when Loki would bring up the topic of her stripping him and somehow getting him into a bath but he never did. She looked over and noticed that his eyes were beginning to close and she asked if he was ok.

“I am unsure. I am seeing three of you Miss Lewis and under any other circumstances I would deem this aesthetically pleasing but I feel that this is not quite correct to be seeing this.” Darcy ignored the fact that he had basically said that she was pretty, in his weird Asguardian way, and concentrated on pulling the duvets closer around him, in an attempt to keep his chilly body warm, and she told him she would stay with him until he fell asleep. She expected it to take longer than ten minutes so she got out her phone and sent a text to Jane telling her she would be back at the apartment but not until later that night and not to wait up for her. Darcy didn’t expect to find Loki’s bed so comfortable that she would shimmy down next to the sleeping God and fall asleep herself.

Darcy awoke to the entire bed shaking and her first thought was that it must be a fucking earthquake! She shot up in the bed and looked over to the door, wondering if you were allowed to use an elevator in natural disaster situations. She noticed that it seemed to be just the bed moving, not the rest of the room and she shifted her body so that she could question Loki as to if this was normal for his bed and instead of being met with a red nosed god she was faced with a small child, a very naked small child, bouncing up and down on the large bed.

A child that looked suspiciously like Loki.

“Good morning lady!” The small child chirruped in a decidedly English accent and smiled down at Darcy whilst he continued his bouncing.

Oh shit.