Innocence Found

Chapter Five

Bruce found himself fascinated; both by the boy and his own feelings about him. He was aware of the fact that if this was the grown up Loki smirking up at him he would have no qualms about hulking out and tossing him around like a ragdoll until he bled however looking at the young boy, drowning in Darcy's hoody, leisurely rocking the chair to and fro Bruce knew he would bend over backwards for this young boy before causing him any pain and the thought of what he had done previously to Loki caused a constriction in his stomach.

Still this opportunity to learn about Loki's younger years was something not to be ignored and Bruce resigned himself to the fact that if he could not test if Loki had retained his physical attributes there were other ways to test the child. Bruce wanted to see what made him tick and, more importantly, if the foundation for the cat-bag crazed mastermind began as early as 4. So when Loki jumped down and told Bruce he was bored, Bruce grabbed a new notebook and set to work. He asked Loki about his date of birth, information about his parents and the way he felt about Thor. Bruce listened raptly as Loki described how strong and awe-inspiring his brother was and Bruce couldn't help but want to call Thor down. He wanted to watch Thor with this young child and he wanted to observe the God of Thunder in a way he hadn't seen before. But, instead, he just sat and he listened.

It turned out that Loki had a wonderful love of literature and music of all kinds. His mother would play him music on a piano situated in the Throne Room of Asguard for him and his father every day. Loki could read Latin even though he had never been to 'Midguard' and when Bruce explained to him that's where he was Loki wanted to see everything it had to offer so Bruce showed him pictures on his tablet of different landmarks and Loki did not even question the device but he sat with an awed look on his face and giving small gasps every time Bruce showed him a new picture. Bruce learned that Loki being apt at researching and learning new things definitely stemmed from a young age. It was not adapted or learnt. It was purely him.

A couple of hours later Darcy returned with a couple of bags overflowing with clothes and other items and Loki threw himself off of the desk he had climbed up on to see the pictures better and grabbed onto her legs, shouted her name at her and smiling when she bent down to hug him.

"I said I'd come back, didn't I little Loki?" Darcy was surprised at his grin when she had returned. She assumed that maybe not everyone kept their promises with this little guy. "I brought you some clothes dude. Shall we get dressed?" It was then that Loki noticed her bags and he hopped up and down on the balls of his feet and nodded once again. Darcy pulled out some jean and a jumper for him to wear. She let him attempt to put on some underwear and helped him when he found it a little difficult.

"These clothes are very different from home Lady Darcy." Loki looked down at the jumper she had pulled over his head and stroked it with one hand. Darcy looked up at Bruce and Bruce filled her in, briefly, about what had happened whilst she had been gone. Darcy was not surprised that Bruce had told Loki about where he was and she was happy to find that the boy was not upset by it but more that he was excited. Darcy pulled out her phone and asked Loki to smile for her. She took a few pictures of him in his little blue jeans and green jumper. She wanted to remember exactly the way he looked in this moment. Complete trust in his eyes and warmth in his smile.

Darcy handed Loki some pencils and some paper and watched him lie on the floor, on his stomach, and begin to doodle and colour in bits of the white paper. Darcy went over to Bruce and they both watched the young boy swinging his legs up from the floor and humming to himself. Bruce turned to Darcy and contemplated how to say his next question.

"Darce… When you found Loki, the other day, covered in that orange stuff. Did you touch him?"

"Well, yeah, I didn't transport him to the bath!"

"Well, that begs another, more important, question Darcy. Why has Loki only changed? If the substance touched you too. Then surely you should be pint-sized." Darcy contemplated his question for a short while and simply shrugged her shoulders "Luck of the draw?" Bruce told her she should go home, rest, leave Loki with Bruce and Bruce would make sure he got back to his room ok. Bruce's room was closer to Loki's than Darcy's was, by far, so it made sense. Darcy nodded her agreement and bent down next to Loki. She looked at the picture he was drawing, told him it was very good and he explained what he had drawn.

"See. This is home." He pointed to a large golden house that he had coloured in a very bright yellow. "And this is me." A stick man with a rounded green body. "And this is you. See I coloured in your hair all brown." A taller stickman with a green body too. "It's for you!" Loki handed her the piece of paper and she saw in the corner 'To Lady Darcy, lots of love Loki' it was in an unmistakable young boys scribble, accompanied by big X's down the side of the paper.

Darcy laughed "Oh, cutie, I absolutely love it. I'll take it to my room and put it above my desk! K?" Darcy took a deep breath and prepared herself to tell Little Loki that she would be leaving him with Bruce again. "Loki? I have a couple more errands to run and I'm starting to get a little stinky. I need you to be a good boy and stay with Brucey for tonight and I'll come see you in the morning, K?" Darcy looked up from the floor into the young boys eyes and knew this was not going to be a pretty scene. His bottom lip began to quiver and he balled his hands into fists at the side of his body and completed tensed up. His green eyes shone with tears once more and with a large cry of "No!" he flung himself forward at Darcy, wrapping his arms over her shoulders, pulling himself as tightly as he could go and cried as if she'd broken his heart.

Darcy stroked Little Loki's back and cooed at him to calm down. "Don't cry Little Lokes, I promise I'll be back in the morning and I keep my promises don't I little dude?"

"No, no, no, no! Please don't leave me Lady Darcy" he sobbed harder. "I'll be good. I'll be better than good!"

Darcy knew she was becoming far too attached to this young child than was good for her and she gently pried Loki's fingers from her shoulders and held him at arms length "I'm sorry Lokes, but I have to go now." The boy fell on his bottom on the floor behind him and continued to cry. He gave one heartbreaking cry into the room before a black cloud engulfed the boy. "Bruce! Oh shit" Darcy called for Bruce and he came hurtling 'round the corner of the lab and shouted Loki's name into the room. The cloud disappeared and Darcy ran back toward the young boy and gathered him into her arms. "I won't leave Lokes. I won't. I'll stay, tonight. I promise."

Bruce could not place what the black cloud was but he knew it was Loki's magik. It could be nothing else. But the boy did not seem aware of what had happened. He was more content about the fact that Darcy had agreed to stay with him and he calmed himself down enough for Darcy to see him yawn and decide that it had been a very tiring day for him and said that he should get changed for bed and they would go to his bedroom once he had changed. Darcy went over to the computer and sent a quick e-mail to Jane telling her she would be staying out again and not to worry. Bruce busied himself helping Loki change into his pyjamas and Darcy made a mental note to tease the good doctor Banner about dressing the God of Lies.

Darcy took Loki's hand and led them back into the elevator and into his bedroom, with Bruce on her tail, she set him down in the large and tucked him in. By the time she lent up to kiss his forehead he was already snoring lightly and grumbling in his sleep. Bruce tilted his head slightly at Darcy, in question, and she whispered that she would be fine staying here with him and that she thought it best that she keep an eye on him. See if it was a 24 hour thing. Bruce nodded and gave her a quick hug before leaving the two to sleep. Darcy gently lowered herself onto the bed and curled up next to the sleeping mini-God.

Far too early the next morning Bruce awoke to the sound of crying from down the hallway. He quickly pulled on a t-shirt and padded out of his room and toward the sound. It did not surprise him that it was coming from Loki's room. However it did shock him that it did not sound like the young boy had the day before. He pushed open the door and gasped at the sight before him.

He found Loki with his arms around a very upset young girl. A young girl with rosy red cheeks and thick brunette hair. Her eyes ringed with red and her breathing laboured as she continued to cry. This girl certainly bore a striking resemblance to… Darcy.

Bruce ran his hands through his hair and thought aloud "Well. I suppose that's the answer to that question."

"I live with two gods, a manchild, a child that is a man, two master assassins and I share my own body. These things happen. Of course these things happen." Bruce muttered to himself, whilst wearily rubbing his eyes, looking at the two children on the bed together. Darcy's transformation was not a complete surprise but Bruce was silly enough to hope she would be spared and that he would only have to play nanny to one child. Bruce sighed to himself, standing in the doorway wasn't going to accomplish anything in light of recent events. He walked to the edge of the bed.

"Loki, can you tell me what happened?" Bruce spoke clearly and concisely. The very model of the authority figure that these small children needed to make sure the situation was kept calm. Bruce did not expect the children to continue to sob in earnest. He tried to think back to the way Darcy had handled Loki yesterday. It was the only situation in years that he had been around a child so it was the only experience he could draw on. He sat down on the edge of the bed and opened his arms up to the small bundles in the covers. He found himself instantly cuddling two very soggy children. One of whom was only wearing a large green t-shirt. "There now, children." He fumbled for words whilst stroking their backs with each hand "It's all right. There's no need to be afraid."

When the crying had begun to die down Bruce disentangled himself from their grips but remained on the bed with them. Hoping that his consistent closeness would prevent any further tears. "Loki, I'm very sorry that I scared you. Do you remember me from yesterday?" The small boy nodded and wiped his tears with the edge of his pyjama sleave. "Yes, sir."

"I'm glad. You can call me Bruce, however, there's no need to be so formal." Bruce took a deep breath and glanced toward the other small child. "Loki, I need to ask you about the little girl. Do you know who she is?"

The small girl reached over and tugged on the back of Bruce's hair. "I'm right here mister. I'm Darcy Lewis. I don't have no middle name 'cause mama says I'm special enough anyways! My mom's name is Lynda and my daddy's called David." The little girl stood, shakily, on the bed with her hands on her hips, set in a stubborn stance. A posture Bruce had seen many times over the past few months. "Why am I wearing a big green shirt and where's daddy?" Bruce took, yet another, deep breath and prepared himself for more tears but he was saved from having to create a plausible lie when Loki spoke up. "Lady Darcy, you informed me yesterday that Bruce would help me find my mummy. Maybe he can find your daddy too!" Loki smiled at Darcy in a comforting manner and patted her lightly on the shoulder when she sat down next to him.

"I don't 'member you." Darcy set her mouth in a straight line and scowled at Loki. She scratched her chest and pushed the little boy away from her "and you make my chest itchy." Not put off in the slightest by Darcy's treatment off him Loki continued to smile at her, sat up straighter and poked her in the shoulder. "Well, you were a lot taller yesterday. Possibly when you shrunk so did your brain."

"I'm smart!" Darcy countered, still scowling at the young boy.

"I'm smarter!" Lokie puffed out his chest at the girl in his bed and Bruce could see that if he did not step in soon that this would escalate further and, to be perfectly frank, he was happier when they were crying.

"You're a nerd!" Darcy stuck out her tongue at Loki and Bruce could see the confusion in his eyes at the insult but knew he was unsure about what it meant. Nevertheless Loki's eyes began to shine with unshed tears and Bruce pulled Loki onto his lap and told Darcy not to call people names because it was mean. He told her she should also apologise to Loki. Darcy, stubborn as ever, mumbled something akin to an apology and slid off the bed on to the floor, away from the two males.

Darcy wandered over to the edge of the room and Bruce could hear her sniffling. He wasn't used to Darcy crying like this, she was always so sure, but before he could react Loki had jumped from his lap and ran over to Darcy's location.

"It's fine if you're afraid Lady Darcy. I was yesterday and you made me feel better." Loki picked up one of her hands from the side of her body, hoping that she wouldn't push him again, and squeeze slightly. "If I might, I could return the favour?" Loki cocked his head as he watched a myriad of emotions flit thought Darcy's face before tears began to fall freely down her cheeks. Loki tugged his sleeve over his free hands and used it to wipe the tears from Darcy's face. Thor had done this many times for Loki when their father had shouted at Loki or when Loki found himself frustrated when Thor could climb the large trees in the courtyard and Loki could not. Thor always told Loki that he would always take care of him and Loki wished to do the same for this crying girl. He wanted to be the big protector this time.

"I'm not scared." Darcy whispered to Loki, even as she leaned her small head into the sleeve that was stroking her tears away.

Bruce sat on the bed, completely shell shocked and intrigued, this gentile little boy would become the God of Mischief and Lies. For some reason when Bruce thought of Loki's childhood he imagined him setting fire to things and pulling wings off of butterflies. Loki was certainly a walking mess of contradictions. Bruce remembered a conversation with Thor about them doing everything together when they were younger and Bruce could not fathom why he never saw the two gods just as children. He always saw them as princes, Thor as a warrior and Loki as a trickster.

Having seen the interactions between the children Bruce conceded to himself that he might have been wrong in his assessment of Loki and that he should really speak to Thor about their upbringing in able to learn more about them both. Bruce, being lost in his thought, was obviously not paying attention only noticed that the children were still in the room when he felt a tug on his pyjama trousers.

"Mister. Loki said you would make us breakfast. I'm hunnngry." Darcy elongated the word hungry. Bruce assumed to make sure that he knew just how hungry she was. He smiled down at the girl and nodded.

"That sounds like a fantastic idea Darce. Shall we go to the kitchen?" Bruce hoped at this time of the morning that no-one would be up just yet so that it would be safe to take them down so that they could eat at a table. He made sure Darcy's t-shirt would stay on her small frame and took her hand, called Loki over and Loki took Darcy's hand and they walked out of the bedroom into the communal kitchen. Bruce helped both children onto a chair and began making gathering ingrediants to make pancakes. He could hear the children chattering behind him and he smiled to himself, happy that they were getting on now. The same could not be said for their adult counterparts, most of the time, once Bruce had finished he plated up the pancakes onto two separate dishes and found some plastic cutlery in the drawer. He put the plates infront of the two children and laughed as they both began to devour their breakfasts.

Whilst the children finished their meals Bruce pulled the Starkphone from it's cradle in the kitchen and called Pepper. He thought if anyone could keep a clear mind about this situation it would be Pepper. Bruce hardly saw her as maternal but he really just needed another adult to talk to after all this shrinking business. Bruce thought back to Darcy shopping yesterday and sincerely hoped that she had brought clothes that could be passed off as girls too.

When Natasha walked into the kitchen in her casual attire Loki had just announced that he was done with his breakfast. He tried to jump off the chair and landed squarely on his behind which induced two sets of giggles as Darcy did the same. Pepper smiled at the two children. "Babysitting now, Bruce? Why didn't you just tell me that on the phone. I'm sure Tony won't mind having kids of his own mental age around."

Bruce panicked and thought maybe it was best not to tell Pepper who the children were straight away. He waited until the children had run into the adjoining living room and turned to the new addition in the kitchen.

"Um, my cousin dropped them off unexpectedly this morning. I was hardly awake myself. Obviously not in my right mind when I agreed." He nervously laughed at he followed Pepper into the living room. Smacking his hand to his face when he saw Darcy standing on the coffee table, dancing to music on the TV whilst Loki watched on, puzzled at how music was coming from the black object on the walls. Pepper began to laugh and put a hand over her mouth to stifle more coming out and startling the children. "Oh Bruce. Really? They are mini versions of Loki and Darce! There is no way you could convince me otherwise! And after living with Tony for four years, I've seen my odd share of things. This definitely being one of the top three! What happened?!"

"H-how d-did you know?" Bruce stuttered.

"Just looking at them you can see the adults they'll become." Pepper said, delicately, trying not to hurt the man's feelings. "I did so much research with Tony when we agreed you'd all stay here this past month. I'd recognize them anywhere."

"Oh. Well that saves me from having to explain." Bruce did not fancy trying to explain the whole ordeal to Pepper and then to every one else in Stark Tower. Bruce asked Pepper to watch the children for the morning whilst he showered and went to run tests on the orange substance that he assumed was the cause of this. Bruce said he would be calling in Natasha and Steve next to explain in the afternoon so that he wouldn't be taking all of Pepper's time through babysitting.

Pepper relaxed, relieved that she wasn't needed for anything out of the ordinary. Glancing at her watch, she figured herself in for an uneventful afternoon until the relief shift arrived.

Six hours later she was staring at the door of the living room, anxiously awaiting the arrival of Steve and Natasha. And as soon as they were spotted halfway down the hall, Pepper called out her goodbyes to the children, looked apologetically at the recently returned Bruce, and grabbed her bag, not waiting for replies. She doubted anyone would hear her, anyway.