Status: New story

Open Your Eyes

Mummy.

"Ohana means family. Family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten."


"Kona!" I exclaimed. "Bad dog! No potty on the floor!"

I swatted her nose and hurried in the kitchen for paper towels. This whole dog thing was something I was starting to regret. Could you get refunds on pets? Or was that not allowed? Once her mess was cleaned up, I put her outside in the backyard. Her timeout was being out outside. I loved Liam, don't get me wrong, but why did he have to get a dog? He didn't have to worry about potty training it and cleaning up after it. He was always off working either in the studio or doing press stuff.

"Mummy, where's Koko?"

"I put her outside. She went potty in the house," I answered. Her eyes grew wide. "She did a no-no inside!?" I couldn't control my laughter. Her face was priceless. Her wide eyes and her mouth open in shock.

"She's a bad doggy!" She exclaimed. "She no get any treats!" I told her to go get her shoes on through laughs. She did as she was told all the while mumbling to herself about Kona being a bad dog. While she was upstairs, I went to the backdoor and hollered at Kona. She came barreling in the door and started jumping on my legs wanting a treat.

"Go get in your pen." I pointed to her pen in the laundry room. She sulked in there with a few whines. Once I made sure the pen was locked up and she had food and water in there, I shut off the light and headed back to the foyer. Presley came jumping down the stairs in her Timberland boots that Liam got her.

He came home the other night from being in the studio late and had two bags; one big and one small. He handed me the big one and Presley the small one. She refused to go to bed until he got home so he could tuck her in. She tore open her bag and pulled out a box of shoes. Timberland boots to be exact. As soon as she opened them she gasped and exclaimed that they were just like the ones her new Daddy was wearing. When I opened my box she let out another gasp and couldn't believe that all three of us had the same shoes. I guess we were big supporters of Timberland boots. They weren't my normal choice of shoes, but they were cute and a girl would never turn down a free pair of shoes. So I thanked him and told him I loved them. Presley immediately put hers on and jumped up to thank him, then allowed him to take her up to bed, but only if she got to sleep in her new boots.

"We wearing our Timber-boots, Mummy!" She exclaimed. I chuckled. "We are! Now we better hurry, Paul's supposed to be here pretty soon." After I said that, a horn sounded from outside. We hurried outside and she ran to his car while I locked the door and set the alarm. He was buckling her up in her carseat when I got in the car. They were having a chat about our new dog and how she did a no-no in the house.

"I can't believe she did that," Paul gasped. "Did your Mum give her a timeout?" Presley nodded, abandoning the conversation for the passing scenery outside the window. Paul turned to me. "Where to first?" He questioned.

I shrugged. "Anywhere but that house," I answered. "It gets lonely in that massive house with just me and Pres."

"Liam been working a lot I take it?"

"Yeah." I sighed. "I don't like being alone but I'm not going to tell him that. They're working on their third album and getting ready for their 2013 tour. If I tell him, he won't want to do any of that stuff and he needs too."

Paul nodded in understanding. Him and the lads were only home three months out of the year and didn't get to spend a lot of time with their families. So he understood one hundred percent. I couldn't tell Liam that and not expect him to feel bad. He was just that kind of person. "How about we go get some food and take it to the studio?" He suggested.

Presley was now back in the conversation. "Yay! I gets to see Daddy!"

"What about Harry, Liam, Louis, and Zayn?"

"I's e-cited to see them too," she answered in a duh tone. My child and her attitude.

&&&

"Now you behave, do you hear me?" Presley nodded as she held my hand. "This is where Daddy and your uncle Harry works, so you have to be on your best behavior."

"Pwomise Mummy," she spoke, taking a sip of her drink. We had decided on Chinese takeaway and she wouldn't leave unless she got her orange pop. So of course she got her orange pop and we got out food and left. Paul was carrying a big box filled with all the food. He ordered what he knew the guys liked and me and Presley got lemon chicken with fried rice and two egg rolls. "Just a little ways down here," Paul spoke up.

"Look Mummy; The Beatles!" Presley exclaimed. "And Elvis!" I grinned. From the time she was born, she was listening to The Beatles and Elvis. Her first word was Elvis. She was one of those kids that whenever one of his songs came on, she started dancing. So far she has grown up on those two and many other older bands-slash-singers. She didn't like anything else. My dad said she was an old soul just like I was.

"Those are awesome, yeah? We'll have to get some pictures of them for your room." She went to reply but Paul stopped at a door and knocked. It opened a few seconds later to reveal Zayn. He saw us and grinned. "Well if it isn't my three favorite people!"

Presley looked up at me with hearts in her eyes. "ZZ said I'm his favorite person." Oh lord. She's got her first crush and she's only two. Lord help me and Liam. "I heard, now go in so Paul can put down the heavy food." She hurried out of the way and all but attacked Harry when she spotted him. He was sitting by the sound board with all the buttons and knobs. I was a nervous wreck when she did that. Images of her spilling her drink all over it ran through my head making me almost cringe.

"Pres—" Harry cut me off. "She's fine, Lenna. Calm down," he spoke nonchalantly. How can he be so calm when she's got a drink that she could easily spill that close to something which I know costs thousands and thousands of dollars!? That's insanity! I would be freaking out! Well, I am, but I can't help it. My daughter was a klutz sometimes.

"Liam's in the booth," Louis said, as I handed him his food. The other had gotten theirs and were scattered around the couches, stuffing their faces. Presley was eating a little bit of everyone's food. She was such a mooch sometimes. I nodded. "Okay. How's today been?"

He shrugged, dropping down on the couch beside Harry and my mooch of a daughter. "Pretty good. Nobody has gotten their knickers in a bunch." When he said that, he not so discretely motioned to Harry. That made Harry try to stab him with his fork. Presley wasn't having any of that. "Hally, you be nice to Lulu or youse sit in timeout!" She said firmly. Mini Mum right there. She's been around me too much.

He rolled his eyes. "Yes mother." She shot him a satisfied grin before stealing a bite of his egg roll. He went to protest but was cut off by her excited shout. "Daddy! Hi Daddy! We took youse food and came to work!" She jumped off the couch and ran at him as he came out of the recording booth. He greeted Presley with a big grin and peck to the forehead.

Louis and Harry both shot me questioning stares. "Daddy?" They asked in unison. There was honestly nothing I could say. I didn't know why she started calling him that. I had no idea what went on in her little mind. So I gave a shrug and immediately plastered a grin on my face when Liam walked over.

"Hey babe," he greeted. He bent down and placed a chaste kiss on my lips. My heart skipped a beat as cheesy as it sounded. But that's what he did to me. I hadn't felt this way since James and I first started dating. But this was different. This was real love. This was what my Mum and Dad used to have. What Anne and Robin have. What Louis and his girlfriend have. What Zayn and his girlfriend have. This was what I had always wanted. A true love that left me feeling like I was on top of the world and nothing could bring me down.

"Hi," I whispered as a blush appeared on my cheeks. Harry scoffed, mumbling things under his breath. Louis snorted. Presley made a disgusted face with her nose scrunched up and all. "Mummy, Daddy, that's icky! Yuck!"

Harry loudly agreed. "Amen sister!" He held out his big fist and she pounded her tiny fist against his. She let out a small giggle. "Amen sister!"

&&&

Stop.
Take a moment of your life
To find out where you are going
And crawl
Through the barren land
Of your plan to the beauty of not knowing

And come on down to the place where we met
And I sent you that shot of whiskey
Smoke was in your eyes—


"Why'd you come to the studio today?" Liam questioned. Instead of giving him the real reason, I settled for shrug. We were in the middle of a fairly busy Starbucks and now wasn't the time or place to start something. Plus, we had just got done with a big argument. We didn't need another one. I didn't want a relationship that only consisted of fights and nothing else. I didn't want another relationship like James and I had.

"Can I get a cake pop?" Presley looked at us with those big green eyes of hers and I instantly caved. "Ask the man with the money," I spoke, tossing a thumb in Liam's direction. She pulled out those puppy dog eyes of hers and worked wonders on him. He caved in record time.

"I want a pink one!" She said. "And a pink slush!"

Liam looked at me in question. "A strawberry banana smoothie." He nodded. "What do you want?"

"A venti peach green tea lemonade and a piece of banana nut bread," I answered. He nodded again. "Go sit at a table and I'll order." He placed a short kiss on the corner of my mouth before I walked away.

I let Presley choose the table. She chose the one right by the window. She liked to people watch. It was quite odd for a child her age to like to people watch. Kids her age tended to be going a mile a minute. They never got wore out. But she was different. I say it was because she wasn't raised like a normal child. Her life thus far had been insanely different than most. She was forced to grow up faster. Even at two she knew things most kids that age didn't.

Please don't get down on your knees
And act like you're repenting
I know you know I know you better than this
And I am done mending

What was meant to be a broken joke
Get out of my house
Go have a smoke
I'm on my way to wonderful
My future is bright
Don't get blinded by the light—


BANG. BANG. BANG.

"Mummy, look at the cwazy lady." Presley's voice and her pointing to the window made me move my attention in that direction. There outside stood a woman with pin straight hair, trashy clothes, and an oversized bag with big, fake jewels on every inch of it. The woman knocked on the window again and waved, her mouth moving.

Lennon! It's me, your Mum!

My Mum? My Mum ran off and hasn't been seen in years. My Dad hasn't heard from her. I haven't heard from her. Harry, Gemma, and Anne haven't heard from her. She practically fell off the face of the earth. She turned to drinking and drugs when I left, and fell off the deep end. But here she was looking somewhat like her normal self.

BANG. BANG.

Without a second thought, I grabbed Presley and put her on my hip. Liam appeared in front of us with furrowed brows. "Where's the fire?"

"That's my Mum out there," I mumbled, subtly motioning to the windows. "She's a drunk and a druggy. I don't want her anywhere near my daughter."

He nodded and held the cup holder and bag of food in one hand, placing his free hand on the small of my back. As soon as we exited the building, my Mum was right there. Her massive heels clicked against the cement as she hurried over. Liam swiftly moved his hand from my back to my side in an instant. Presley was squished between us, but she didn't seem to mind. My Mum however, didn't seem to get the picture.

"Lennon, honey, when did you get back?" She questioned. "Who's kid is that? Are you back to babysitting? She looks absolutely adorable! And you look good, dear. How's... what was that blokes name? Jake? Jim? James? Yes, James! How's James? Are you still with him?"

When I didn't respond, she placed a hand on my arm. I instantly jerked away as if her hand was on fire. This wasn't the time nor place for any of this. There was never a time or place for this. Life would be a whole lot better if I just pretended I didn't have a mum. She left my dad when he really needed her. Granted she left because I left, that still didn't excuse her leaving him like that. She chose drugs and alcohol over family. She was a poor excuse for a human being.

"Lennon Annaleigh," she snapped. My head whipped around to glare at her. We were at the car now and people were starting to stare. Liam quickly put the drinks and food in the car, then got Presley in her seat. "I don't have time for you, Ophelia," I snapped back.

Now it was her turn to glare. "I'm your mother, you don't speak to me that way!" She was yelling now, so I ignored her and climbed in the passenger seat. That made her angrier. "Don't bloody well fucking ignore me, you twit! I'm talking to you! Don't drive away from me!"

"Who the cwazy lady?" Presley asked with a mouthful of cake pop. Liam glanced at me out of the corner of his eyes. He was expecting a reaction, but I wasn't going to give him one. I'm not going to waste my time or energy on her. "Nobody, Babygirl," I replied.

And that was the truth. She was a nobody.
♠ ♠ ♠
Liam
Lennon
Presley

I'm so sorry about the wait!