Step Into Surrealism

The First Step

"No, mum no, I'm fine. I'll be totally fine there. I know it's a big deal- Yes, I know it's a really long way... No- NO Mum. Mum stop. I'll call you tomorrow when you've stopped crying. I love you. Yeh, okay. Okay bye."

Huffing, I hang up the phone and bury my face into my hands, groaning audibly into my empty flat.

My mother could be totally impossible sometimes.

Let me just recap...

My name is James Weaver. People call me Jimmy because that's so much easier than James... (sarcasm of course) I live in Manchester, United Kingdom and up until this point my life hasn't hand any kind of direction at all...

I recently graduated from University with a major in writing and literature...

Needless to say, it's always been one of my dreams to write for one of the biggest music magazines in the world...

When I graduated back in July, I busied myself looking on the internet for any and every writing opportunity I could find here in England, or in the States. Coincidentally, one of the best music magazines in the United States had what seemed to be one of the more promising job offers.

Alternative Press magazine, centralized in Ohio but stretched across to the bigger cities in the United States, had an opening for a paid internship position.

As I read about it, I was convincing myself more and more... That I needed to do it. I need to do this for myself, and for my career. I'd never lived outside of England. I'd never really been out of the country as pathetic as that sounded.

To me, it was time for a huge change. So I applied, not really thinking that I would actually get the internship. Little did I know, a few days later I'd be getting an email from the Editor in Chief of AP Magazine, asking me when I could start...

All of this is happening very fast for me. I just barely grew the balls enough to call me mother and tell her what I'd done and where I was going...

Being a Mumma's boy, she was struck dumb by the fact that I was moving so far away from her. But like I've said. It's time for a huge change. And now I have one. Now I finally have that boost forward that I needed...

Standing, I walk to the window that overlooks Manchester, and I breathe deeply , taking in my lovely city for one of the last times. My job at Alternative Press starts in 2 weeks, and in that time I have to pack everything away, ship it to America, and then get myself to America and settle into my new flat.

I guess that's one perk of this job already. They're providing me with a fully furnished apartment that I don't have to pay a cent towards... Except for food and internet, I'm basically living for free.

Seriously, someone please slap me or pinch me or something?

Shaking my head as if to rid myself of all of these jumbled thoughts, I pull my pack of cigarettes out of my back pocket and light one quickly, blowing the smoke out from the balcony of my flat.

Watching the smoke rise and be carried away by the wind, I can't help but feel wistful and... new. This is a whole new chapter in my life. A strange, fantastic, terrifying chapter. I don't know if I'm ready but honestly it's ready or not, here comes life.

Get your shit together, Jim. It's time to explore...
♠ ♠ ♠
Well. This is unexpected.
I got this idead at 5am this morning because
I couldn't sleep and have been obsessed with British YouTubers...

Whatever, I really like this story.
I might suck at updating but I"m at least going to try.
Comment if you like it. reccomend it if you love it.
Subscribe for all of the above? :)