Status: Enjoy

The Whisperer

The Whisperer

The first thing that caught me was its eyes, the pupils swirling from red to blue to yellow; a rainbow trapped in a spider’s web. I didn’t want to look, and yet I found myself unable to turn away.

“You are not like the others” it said, not aloud for its lips never moved, but the voice bouncing off the inner walls of my mind. I was unable to reply, stricken with a frozen horror –only minutes ago I had stepped out onto my deck for a burn and yet it felt like hours; the weed still sat on the ledge smoldering, whispering.

“There is no need to fear me”

Something in its tone was calming, like the being was incapable of deceit. My clenched muscles relaxed.

“Wh-what … are you?” I stammered, speaking, but somehow I knew I needed only to think my question to be heard.

“I could never explain, only show”

This statement floundered me; what could it possibly mean?

“I am not truly as I appear to you now” it said. “This form is only one that bends to the rules of your world. In my own, we would be something quite different”

It’s words were seductive; like a tasteful bribery, I found myself becoming swayed into … what? He had made no demands, and yet I was already most willing; his stare continued to penetrate me.

“Why me?” I asked, meaning to enquire as to why he’d chosen to contact myself above all others. I had no reason to assume he hadn’t confronted anyone else, but somehow I knew I’d been selected.

“My kind does not function as yours does” it sighed, “our mental processing is strictly biased towards logic; this trait has delivered our species through countless intellectual feats, however we lack in creation; we don’t have what you refer to as, imagination”

For a tenth of a second I glimpsed his reality; in a single eye blink I saw, felt, tasted and heard sensations I could have filled tens of thousands of paged with description and still achieved no clear image. I was mortified, yet infatuated in its impeccable beauty. This being had thrown its hook and I’d riveted in the bait.

“Your mind wanders onto paper, leaving brilliant tracks in its wake. Come with me and you will be a God”

“But my life is here” I protested, but we both already knew I had been captured. Both me and the creature knew what continued could have only been described as humoring.

“Life as you know is nothing; your kind will never learn or acquire what is really there; your own manifested desires will be your undoing”

I knew he was right, I’d seen it for myself. It had shown me everything.

“How could I ever benefit you?”

“Lend us your mind”

It held out a hand, humanly enough though impossibly pale and webbed like that of a duck. Its grip in mine was neither hot nor cold, but sweet.

Reality flickered, and I was home.