Status: Active

The Stones On Your Window

Five

The following Monday morning, the Conrads sat around the breakfast table in silence. The clock ticked and spoons scraped bowls, but no one spoke. Sophia glanced down at her Cheerios, the small pieces of cereal now just soggy lumps floating in her milk. She forced another spoonful into her mouth, knowing she wouldn't be allowed to leave the table until she was completely finished her food.

"So," she started to speak, "what's everyone doing today?"

Silence filled the air once more until Dean cleared his throat. "Well, I'm working until 6 this evening and after dinner I might head down to the golf course. Amelia, what about you?"

The redhead simply shrugged as she stirred her oatmeal. Amelia was definitely not a morning person.

"If you don't have any plans, you can come to the office with me this morning." Esther said. "My assistant won't be at work today and I could really use a hand with some things. Sophia, you're welcome to come along too."

Sophia thought about this, spend the day with her selfish sister and frantic mother?

"No thanks," she spoke, "I think I'll stay at home today."

"Oh good," Dean folded the newspaper he had been reading, "I need you to stick around here. Those hooligans that crashed into the wall start work today, I'd appreciate it if you'd keep an eye on them for me, make sure they aren't causing problems."

Ahh yes, the ginger and his reluctant pal. The pair had been in Sophia's thoughts since the incident. Unanswered questions had bombarded her mind ever since the two left the house that day. Who were they? Were they musicians like she'd assumed? How did they manage to crash into that wall anyway?

Hopefully she'd get to speak to them at some point today, preferably the friendly ginger.

"Why? Do they give you bad vibes?" She teased. Dean rolled his eyes but smiled at his daughters question.

"No, they don't give me bad vibes. I just don't know anything about them. I don't want them stealing from me or taking advantage of Delia's kindness and since I have to work, I can't watch them. Also, I trust your judgement sweetheart. If you say they're good boys, then I'll believe you."

Sophia grinned at his reasoning. "Of course I'll do that for you, dad."

Dean's grin matched his daughters. "Thank you! Now go get dressed, they'll be here soon."

She chuckled slightly and rose from her seat. As she left the kitchen, she heard Dean call out to her.

"Don't wear anything too revealing, Sophia! You're supposed to be inconspicuous, not distracting them from work!"

The blonde shook her head as she climbed the stairs. She was sure her dad was losing it.

--

As she stepped into the shower, Sophia's thoughts turned to Matthew. After meeting at lunch the other day, they had spoken briefly, learning small pieces of information about each other.

He had told her that he was 21 and was currently 3 years into a 4 year Architectural Studies course at UCLA. He had also said that he, like herself, didn't enjoy bein part of a wealthy family. They hadn't talked about themselves much, instead they spent the majority of their meeting laughing at Daniel and Amelia, who barely said two words to each other.

Sighing, she rinsed the conditioner from her hair and switched off the shower. When would she see Matthew again? She wished she could contact him somehow. The next time they meet would be unexpected, Sophia guessed. This meant she would have to look her best at all times. She didn't want him to see her looking like a slob. The poor guy would run a mile and her mother would scold her for scaring off the only man crazy enough to want to be with her.

Sophia dresses quickly and examines herself in the mirror. Her damp hair had been brushed and had now been left to air dry, resting over her shoulders and hanging down her back. Her pale skin looked glowing thanks to the moisturizer she had just applied. She moved her hands to smooth down the black and white baseball tee she was wearing and pulled up the jean shorts she had thrown on. She shrugged at her reflection, feeling somewhat satisfied with her appearance, before making her way downstairs.

"Ah, the princess is finally awake!" Toby smirked as she entered the kitchen. Across the table from him sat the friendly ginger and the brunette, who was still sulking.

"I've been up since 6am, I'll have you know!" She retorted, grabbing four bottles of water from the fridge and sliding one to each of the boys. She held her hand out to the ginger. "I'm Sophia."

"Jared," he replied as he shook her hand, "this is my buddy John." He nudged his head toward his friend.

John gave her a small smile, but said nothing.

She discreetly rolled her eyes as she pulled herself onto the countertop.

"So what's going on?" She asked Toby.

"Not much, we've got some weeds to pull and some fences that need to be painted then we just gotta wait till Delia finds us something else to do. What about you?"

"I might take a trip to that bookstore downtown and have a look around. Amelia told me it's great."

"Amelia's never even read a book before, what's she doing in a bookstore?"

Sophia chuckled at this. "I have no idea."

"So you're just gonna go to the bookstore and that's it?"

"Probably." She shrugged.

"Wow, what an exciting life you lead Sophia." Toby rolled his eyes as he took a sip of his water. She let her eyes flicker to the other two bodies in the room, both looked uninterested in their conversation.

"Hey! My life is very exciting, thank you very much."

"Oh yeah?" Toby challenged. "When was the last time you did anything remotely fun? And reading doesn't count." He cut her off as she opened her mouth.

Sophia but her lip as she thought about this. He was right. She hadn't had fun in a long time. She couldn't remember the last time she done something just because she liked it. A smug look crossed Toby's face. "Case closed."

She rolled her eyes in response. "I guess you're right. It does get a bit boring sometimes."

"Have you thought about getting a job?"

Sophia opened her mouth to speak but was interrupted by someone scoffing and muttering an unenthusiastic yeah right under their breath. Her eyes whipped to look at John who was rolling his eyes.

"Excuse me? If you have something to say, just say it."

Once again, he rolled his eyes. "Like you would ever get a job."

She noticed Jared elbow him in the ribs. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Everything about you screams spoiled brat." Apparently his friend telling him to shut up done nothing, "from those diamonds hanging from your ear lobes to the way you carry yourself. We can all tell you think you're better than us."

She gently touched one of her earrings as he continued his rant. "And you don't even have a job? I bet you don't go to college either, I mean why would you need to get an education or earn your own money when you have your daddy to buy you everything you want, right?"

Silence fell over the kitchen.

Sophia cleared her throat and slipped off of the countertop. She walked over to where John sat and leaned across the table, looking straight into his eyes.

"I don't know who the hell you think you are, coming into my home and talking to me like that. You don't know me or my family. I suggest you shut your mouth, stop pouting like a little bitch, do the work you're here to do, and keep your opinions to yourself. Got it?"

She didn't give him time to answer as she marched out of the door and upto her room, feeling more furious than she has felt in a long time.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi!! Life's been crazy these past few months so please forgive me for the long wait for this chapter! I saw The Maine on Tuesday night in Edinburgh and was suddenly feeling very inspired! Expect updates a lot more often now, my laptop should be fixed (finally) this weekend, so no more posting from my phone!

Hope you're all well, let me know what you think and if you want more! xo