Here, Darling.

Would You Guess That I Didn't Know What To Wear?

Zack didn’t know why exactly he had asked Alaska out on a date. After all their relationship was great at the moment, they were friends, good friends, probably coming close to being best friends and he had to go and mess that up by asking her out.

What surprised him more than the words falling out of his lips was the answer that Alaska had given him. That’s what had led him up to this point, standing in front of the mirror trying to decide what to wear.

Usually that was something girl’s worried about but Zack’s brain seemed to not be functioning today and he didn’t know why, it was like he was taking one step forward and 49 steps back. Nothing seemed to be going right.

He didn’t even know where he was going to take Alaska and it was bugging him, he needed it to be perfect so he didn’t make an even bigger fool of himself. He hadn’t even told the rest of the guys knowing that they were just going to make fun of him and would taunt him relentlessly if it all went belly up.

Alaska was special and didn’t seem like movie and dinner kind of girl, she needed something special like fireworks and a horse drawn carriage ride, something that you only saw in the movies.

But if he did anything like that he knew Alaska would think it was too cheesy and over the top which made it hard to find the perfect thing to do.

On the other hand Alaska didn’t seem to be nervous in the slightest and was already sifting through her wardrobe trying to find the outfit that she had already decided on wearing.

She hadn’t needed to worry about having Ava fussing around her as Lucy had offered to look after the young girl. It had seemed that Lucy had found her calling and it wasn’t working in a bar, it was looking after children.

She had already pampered herself in an extra long bath, soaking herself within an inch of her life before she washed her hair and reluctantly pulled herself out. Ever since then she hadn’t done much else except sipping on the glass of coke in front of her as she searched the web, allowing her hair to air dry itself in its naturally straight form as the time began to tick tock closer towards the time the pair had arranged to meet.

As Zack hadn’t let on where they were going Alaska was not too sure on what to wear, not wanting to be under, or over, dressed and end up getting embarrassed, in the end she decided to settle for smart casual, pulling on a lacy black top and a pair of dark skin tight jeans.

“Ahah!” she exclaimed, finally locating the top from where it was hidden in the back of the wardrobe, still in the carrier bag from the day she had bought it. She smiled proudly as she shrugged her dressing gown off and pulling it over her slender shoulders, the top fitting like a glove against the skin as she exited the room.

“You look nice” Lucy commented, giving Alaska a knowing look paired with a smirk from where she was sat next to Ava at the table, paint splattered all over the clothing and the table from their finger painting task.

“Too much?” Alaska asked, eyebrow raised slightly as she leant against the fridge, popping open the can she had just took out, practically moaning as the caffeine hit her system.

“Definitely not” Lucy beamed, wiping a hand against her face and smearing a red thick red and blue line down her face as she looked down at her messy picture which looked like some odd shape stick figures and what she could only guess was a tree.

“Are you going to be okay, baby?” Alaska asked as she moved over to sit next to her daughter, wary to not get any paint on her outfit as she hastily pulled on her heeled boots whilst looking down and trying to decipher her daughter’s picture.

“Yes mama” Ava mumbled, not allowing her attention to waver from her masterpiece, finally she gave it a satisfactory nod before looking at her mother, her face splitting into a wide smile “Wow, you look pretty Mama” she gawped, her mouth dropping open as she surveyed her mother’s attire not used to seeing her in anything but her oversized t-shirts, jeans and converse.

“Thank you baby” Alaska smiled, kissing her daughter on the head before smoothing down her hair with her hand, allowing her hand to linger a moment longer before she stood from the table, collecting her bag from the back of her chair as she surveyed the kitchen.

A knock on the door halted any further conversation, Alaska bit her lip, after all know was her time to back out make up some silly excuse where she could curl up and play silly games with her daughter.

“I need to get going” Alaska smiled slightly, turning to look at Lucy who was just staring at the girl a little bemused at the fact of how nervous she was now getting “but you have my number in case of any emergency’s okay?” Alaska bit her lip, her eyes burning into Lucy’s who merely nodded rolling her eyes before making shooing motions with her hand and pointing her towards the door.

“Alright, alright, I’m leaving!” Alaska laughed, grabbing her coat on her way out after giving Ava one last kiss on the forehead, Lucy just chuckled, shaking her head slightly before going back to occupy Ava with the finger painting task.

“Hey” Zack breathed as Alaska headed out the door, wrapping her scarf around her neck, while simultaneously shutting the door behind her. She looked up and grinned at the boy who returned it with a rather sheepish smile, waiting at the bottom of the steps for her before opening the door to his car to allow her to climb in.

“Hello, wow such a gentleman” Alaska chuckled, beaming at him as she straightened her coat before fastening her seat belt, Zack just grinned back, shutting the door before jogging around the front of car and clamouring in, turning to look at the girl who was drumming her fingers on the dash board, looking over at the tall muscular boy.

“So...” Zack mumbled, scratching the back of his neck causing Alaska to shake her head good naturedly before waiting for the boy to continue “I’m going to take you somewhere where I used to always go as a kid at Christmas but if you think its boring or nerdy let me know and I can always take you to the movies or out to dinner or –”

“Zack!” Alaska giggled, causing the boy to break off mid ramble, looking at the girl sheepishly that was now smiling at him, waiting for him to catch his breath “I’m sure whatever you have planned is great and I will have the time of my life, okay? So please stop panicking and being so nervous. Just be you” Alaska, reached over touching his arm slightly causing him to smile before nodding at her and starting up the car, putting it into gear before heading down the street.

“Okay, no pressure. Best night of your life” he mumbled under his breath causing Alaska to roll her eyes, the boy was so silly.