Here, Darling.

Is It Too Soon To Say, 'Perfect'?

By the time Alaska had arrived home, suffering from very awkward dance with Zack as one went in for a hug while the other went for a handshake which continued back and forth for a couple of minutes until Zack finally managed to stop Alaska and hold her still while he wrapped his arms around her in a tight hug before sending her a slight smile and a wave over his shoulder as he headed back into the car, not climbing into it before she stepped into her house, everyone else was fast asleep.

She had been looking forward to chatting to Lucy about everything, dissecting everything to the point that they didn’t even make sense anymore, seeming more like the lives out of one of the characters out of one of her romance novels instead of real life events that were happening to her.

Instead she had walked into an empty house, the faint sounds of Lucy’s snoring was coming from Chris’s bedroom which she had taken over for the night since he was still away in a different state, probably cosying up in bed with some childhood sweetheart he was madly in love with at high school.

Alaska sighed, pulling her coat from her shoulders and draping it over the chair not even bothering to hang it on the hook in the hallway as she pulled her boots off her feet, practically sighing with joy as he toes curled against the linoleum floor. It felt like heaven.

She didn’t feel much like sleeping, she was far to awake for that, instead she turned on the little TV that she had for the late night bake-athons she used to have when she was pregnant, craving extra-chocolate brownies or peanut butter and chocolate chip chunky cookies.

Ah, how she missed those days. She smiled as she opened one of the kitchen draws, sifting through the video’s she had collected over the years, her smile widening as her hand ran over one of her favourite movie, eagerly pulling out of the box and popping it in her VCR player.

Bridget Jones was one of her favourite movie’s, never ceasing to make her smile, even if she was ill or had just gone through a recent heartbreak or a life changing event, all she had to do was turn the film on and go on a journey with Renee as she struggled over her decisions about delicious Daniel Cleaver or Mark Darcy.

Three hours later Alaska was more than content, licking the extra bowl of cookie dough she made as she was now in the middle of ‘Ten Things I Hate About You’, only partially drooling over Heath Ledger, her teenage crush who she used to be crazy about.

These were the films she loved, cheesy romantic comedy’s that made her wish her life was like a movie. She used to grow up wanting people to randomly declare their love for her in the middle of the hallway, someone wanting her so bad that they fist pumped in victory once they could finally call her theirs. Someone that would stand under her bedroom window, playing a song that described their relationship perfectly as loud as possible, calling up to her window to tell her how much he loved her and how she should be with him. And if there was a sweet musical number like in ‘Ferris Bueller’s Day off’ then that was just an added bonus.

Sadly, she came to realise that all this was just a fantasy. Something that would never happen to her as she realised that boys in real life were polar opposites to what she had imagined as a young child, they were far from proclaiming their love, all they wanted was a meaningless fuck and then to move onto the next girl.

She had lost all hope until she found Josh, he seemed different to most guys especially since he was her brother’s best friend, or was until Josh started Max’s sister which was something that Max was clearly not comfortable with.

He was not always the perfect gentleman but he always tried his best, only having the occasional slip up’s now and again when he had far too much to drink at parties and started slurring his words, hanging off his small girlfriend who wasn’t strong enough to support his weight or look after him.

That was until she met Zack, but it was too soon to say he was perfect, after all she had only known him for a few short months. Sure he was great with Ava and always seemed to care what Alaska had to say, always valuing her opinions on certain things.

He seemed genuine and had a great personality always seeming to put over people before himself, trying to look out for everyone and make them all happy, he was just great.

The date was something that Alaska had not been expecting, she had just presumed that they would be going out to a movie and dinner, something predictable that didn’t have much planning to it and could be changed at the last minute.

But where Zack took her was special, after all it had a lot of meaning for him, the place that held a lot of childhood memories and he was willing to share that with her, opening himself up bit by bit to her, allowing their relationship to grow stronger.

She had never been ice skating before, something that was painfully obvious with
Zack having to save her from falling onto her ass every couple of minutes, she was literally like Bambi on her ice, her feet going every which way except from forward.

But other than she really enjoyed it, it was something she wasn’t used to, something that was out of her comfort zone and it was one of the best date she had, and she couldn’t complain about the company either.

She was just worried now if Zack had felt the same way about her, wanting to go out on another date or would he have seen the error of the way’s, deciding that this was not the relationship he wanted with her, much preferring for the pair to be friends and for him to just pop around from time to time to catch up with Ava who was even more besotted with Zack than before.

Alaska sighed, stretching as she stood up from the table, before heading over towards the counter, reaching to turn the TV off as Julie Stiles headed to prom, her baby sister wearing an outfit that could never be classed as a prom dress.

She was tired now, her mind racing with thought’s of her childhood dreams, reaching her to a even more dream like faze than where she was when she came back from her date, her stomach now full of heavenly food that made her feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

It had only felt like five minutes since her head touched the fluffy white pillow and she had entered dream land when she was awoken by screaming, she leapt out of bed, running straight into Ava’s room automatically thinking that it was her who was shouting.

When she entered the room she was met by the sight of her daughter sound asleep, the quilt wrapped around her so tight that she looked like a caterpillar in a cacoon. Alaska’s eyebrows furrowed, trying to wonder who was in distress if Ava was still fast asleep, finally the event’s of last night clicked in her head, instantly remembering that Lucy had stayed over and was tucked up in Chris’ room.

Quickly she grabbed the baseball bat she kept in her room on the way down the corridor and now to the only room available down on this side of the corridor, throwing the door open as she raised the bat over her head, swinging the bat as quick as she could and striking the intruder hard in the middle of the back, causing him to call out in pain as he sank to the floor, arm reaching out to cradle the now bruising area.

Alaska took this opportunity to turn the light on, the bright light causing her eye’s to flinch her eye’s not used to the sudden change causing her to rub them harshly before opening them, eye’s instantly widening when she saw Chris, laid on the floor in nothing but boxers and a wild-eyed Lucy sat up in bed, clutching the quilt tight to her chest.