Here, Darling.

Because I Never Got A J-O-B

Over the next two weeks Max and Alaska were email each other frequently, each sending and receiving roughly fifteen emails a day, detailing aspects of the upcoming nuptials and anything that Alaska could do to help.

Amidst these emails Alaska had never once mentioned to Max that he was an uncle, she didn’t feel the need and felt like if she did it might take the shine off of Max’s big day, something she was adamant against doing.

She was excited, something which was an understatement, she didn’t know what she was looking forward to the most, seeing her brother get married or just simply seeing her brother. Between the bakery, working at O’s and seeing to Ava she hadn’t really had time to see Zack something that she missed doing but didn’t have time to think about, allowing her mind to dwell on the fact and beginning to feel guilty as though she wasn’t appreciative of sweet and kind Zack, terrified that he might ditch her and find a better girl who was more suited to him, one that was in his league.

The pair had constantly texted each other and talked on the phone late at night when Ava was tucked into bed and Zack had nearly finished recording in the studio but they both agreed at this stage, with Zack working hard on finishing his record and Alaska focusing on trying to straighten her life, that it wasn’t the best time for the pair to hang out.

Alaska wasn’t allowed to hear any songs on the record, back in the early day’s when she was allowed to pop into the studio every now and again to see everyone she was given the privilege to listen to the boys record their instruments, little bits here and there, but she was banned from hearing any lyrics, that was a definite no go area.

Whenever Alex was in the recording booth one of the other band members that was free always made up an excuse to take her out somewhere, whether it was for lunch at McDonalds or to go be silly in one of the hipster shops down the street. They wanted it to be a surprise for her when the album was released, getting her full opinion when she could hear the full songs for the first time all together.

Alaska felt like this was a huge deal, getting chosen by the band to listen to their music and have them waiting for her total opinions, which made her even more nervous because of the fact that she had never listened to a single one of their songs, not sure if she would actually like their sound or not and then accidentally offend them all by admitting this and see their faces fall in front of her, something that she knew could possibly ruin the foundations that their friendship was built on.

Max had already begged for Alaska to come back home the following weekend, saying that he would love the chance to be able to catch up with before the wedding, giving the pair chance to bond again before having to face their parents together. Something they were both dreading but Max’s fiancé was adamant that he invited them, saying that it might help heal the families broken relationship.

Alaska was so excited. She could hardly wait, though she hadn’t told Ava where or when they were going yet knowing that if she did the girl would blab to the boys, something that she was looking forward to, not sure if Zack was expecting an invitation to the wedding to attend as her plus one. She wasn’t too sure on the protocol of these kind of things or what kind or relationship her and Zack was, after all they hadn’t defined the relationship or whatever it was they were.

Alaska wasn’t fussed about that tiny little detail at the moment, she just enjoyed his company and how he made her feel free and alive and like the old Adelaide. He was just the medicine the doctor ordered for her.

Also she had big fish to fry, such as helping Jack land a date with the ever so clueless Lucy who had only just started coming around the house again after she had to slap Chris from being ever so forward and trying to lay his hand on her boob when he got heavily drunk, Chris had finally got the message that he would never be able to get Lucy to like him, let alone date him.

Alaska was running late, she had promised the guy’s she would pick them on her way to drop Ava off with Lucy. Jack, Rian and Alex had a day off from the studio while Zack worked on his bits, trying to get them as perfect as possible, so the other three quarters of the band had offered to keep Alaska company while she interviewed for people to work part time at Darling’s Bakery. That’s what she had decided to call it, not being able to think of anything catchy or ironic so in the end she just stuck with her last name.

Lucy loved spending time with Ava, claiming that she was now reliving the childhood she never had, always wanting a little sister to spoil and play with, however she was only stuck with Zack someone who was never keen on playing Barbie Dreamhouse or Fashion Makeovers, so now she was doing all these things with Ava, and the little girl loved that she was getting spoilt.

“Be good for Lucy, okay baby?” Alaska called to Ava who simply lifted a hand in the air as she ran up the drive way, her favourite mini mouse bag swinging from her other hand as she knocked frantically at the door, practically jumping up and down as she waited to be allowed into the house.

Alaska sat in the car, waiting until Lucy had opened the door and waved at her, allowing Ava to step in before she shut the door behind her before pushing her foot down on the gas, speeding down the road as she tried to remember her way to Jack’s and Alex’s flat.

After two wrong turnings she finally got back on track, seeing Jack, Alex and Rian sprawled across the lawn, playing some game she didn’t even want to know about. She hooted her horn as she headed down the street, coming to an abrupt stop in front of the lawn as Jack knocked his hip into Alex causing the boy to fall onto the floor as Jack cheered, pulling the passenger door open and grinning at Alaska who merely shook her head, a now pouting Alex crawling into the back seat next to Rian who was too busy smiling to himself as he taped away at his phone to some girl that no one had met yet, and probably wouldn’t meet for another couple of months.

Jack chatted away to Alaska during the small car ride, telling her all about how his Mama had brought him some triple chocolate cookies yesterday and cooked him Mexican food while she did his washing, because she is so proud of her little bambino making it in the music business.

Alaska simply just shook her head again, chuckling now and again at little anecdotes he would tell her from him child hood while she muttered that he was taking advantage of the poor woman, getting her to do all his house work.

“So what are we even doing again?” Alex questioned, an eyebrow raised, as he grabbed Rian’s phone out of his hand, holding it out of the other’s boy reach who retaliated by punching Alex on the shoulder causing the phone to drop from his clenched fist and onto the middle seat where Rian scooped it back up, tagging quickly at the touch screen before shoving it deep into his pocket, shooting Alex a glare.

“You guy’s offered to help me interview people to help me out in the store” Alaska said, glimpsing at Jack who stuck his chin out as though he was some superhero that had just saved some orphaned children and a pregnant lady out of a burning building, nearly risking his life in the act. “and in return I feed you guy’s some baked goods” Alaska continued, getting a cheering sound from Alex who from what she could only tell was perfecting his hair in her interior mirror, his head blocking her view of the cars behind causing her to receive some angry honks now and again from having to break suddenly.

“So do I get to act like Simon Cowell?” Jack questioned, shortly followed by a loud yelp as the back of Rian’s palm made contact with Jack’s head causing his hand to reach up, rubbing the now tender spot.

“Sure if you want to...” Alaska trailed off, her attention now drifting from the conversations around her as she focused on the road, trying to figure out the quickest route to the shop so she could finally get back on schedule, she hated being late. It was one of her pet peeves, hating to have to make other people wait, seeing the look of annoyance flicker in their eyes before returning back to normal.

Finally a couple of minutes she pulled up in the car parking space that was allocated to her in front of the shop, jumping out the car and urging the others to quickly follow suit as she started to mess around in the boot, chucking the shop key’s to Rian, the most trustworthy out of the three, so they could get inside while she tried to stuff all the things in her bag which had all seemed to fall out in the drive.

After locking the car and hurrying inside the store, dumping her stuff under that chair she sighed, noting Jack and Alex chucking bits of donut into each other’s mouth trying to see who could do it the furthest away. Alaska couldn’t help but sigh; she now knew that today was going to be a long day.

The first girl was too chirpy they said. Alex made a vague comment about it being like she was trying to force feed happiness to you by shoving it down your throat, and it was safe to say the others agreed, not liking her dyed blonde hair and chirpy attitude, with a closing comment from Jack saying she made him feel like ending it all. Mariella was a definite no go.

The second girl got mixed reactions. Jack liked her a lot and said she was perfect for the role, Alex said she was a bit gloomy sometimes and seemed like she didn’t care about anything while Rian had mixed reactions saying he was on the fence about her as was Alaska, the two pairs decided to the end the debate after it started to get a little out of hand, Jack jumping on his chair and shouting at Rian while trying to smash bit of brownie’s into his hair.

The third had never worked a day in her life, the only job she had ever have was spending daddy’s credit card which she must’ve been good at by the look of her expensive outfit and accessories. Number four was a boy that accidentally called up the wrong advert, meaning to audition for a band that was looking for someone to tap at the keyboards instead of temporary retail staff. And finally the fifth girl, didn’t even get through stating her name before bursting into tears, rushing out the room and taking with her all Alaska’s hopes of finding anyone suitable with her.

With a sigh, she clamoured out of her chair, beginning to scoop all her items into her bag as the boy’s stood from their seat, stretching their arms over their head as they began to pace the room trying to get feeling back into their legs.

She was ready to leave; dying to get home and let this dreaded ordeal be over with, it was safe to say she wasn’t going to be employing any members of stay soon. Quickly she grabbed the last remaining brownie square, popping it into her mouth before the other boys could argue about it, Alaska didn’t need any more arguments today.

“Hey, are you still interviewing?” A meek voice asked from the doorway, causing Alaska to snap around, her arms still mid air from trying to stretch her back. The girl had long pale pink hair, curling softly against her shoulders, making the white of her vneck shirt stand out even more.

“Er –“ Alaska broke off, biting her lip as the rest of the boys turned to look at the pair, Jack immediately jumping back into his seat as Alex followed suit, turning to beam at the girl, their hand waving them in front of the table.

“Of course we are” Alex beamed, tapping the seat next to him, trying to get Alaska and Rian to sit back down behind the table, both of them rolling their eyes at each other before heading back to the table. “And what is your name, bubblegum?” he continued, holding his hand out for her CV as though this was his store and not Alaska’s.

“Katie” the girl smiled, beaming up at Alaska and Rian who had now returned to the table, Rian tapping away at his phone and smiling now and again before turning to the girl and giving her an apologetic look.

“So Katie, have you had any previous work experience?” Rian asked, now paying attention to the situation and getting down to business, out of all three guy’s Alaska felt like Rian was her ally and was going to help her find someone that was actually half way decent unlike Jack and Alex who so far had only been rating the girls on a scale of how hot they were, something that wasn’t going to help Alaska out in the long run.

“I used to work in McDonald’s but I hated getting burnt so...” Katie trailed off shrugging slightly as Rian handed Alaska the piece of paper, her eyes scanning the sheet before looking at the girl.

Alaska had to admit that Katie had skills, and she really needed someone soon and with the way the girl was putting up the silly banter that Jack and Alex was inflicting on her Alaska could tell she was more than capable of sticking it out.

“You’re hired!” Alaska beamed at the pink haired girl, holding her hand out over the table.