Status: In Progress

Better Together

Old Friends and Change Heart

“Dani Everest?” I heard someone ask. I looked up through the tears to see Jake’s somewhat cousin, Alice Fleury.
“Alice, hi,” I wiped the tears away and looked to her.
“What’s wrong?” she asked with concern as she led me to a bench in the downtown district of Pittsburgh. She was a shorter girl with a strong French accent that she got honestly. Her hair was short and in a pixie cut and her skin was a single tone above pale. But it suited her; she was one of the most beautiful people I have ever met.
“I dropped some big news on Jake and left him there to ponder it. I told him not to come after me, but I kind of hoped he would anyways.”
“Can I ask what you told him?” she was also the nicest person I have met. Another quality she got honestly, let me tell you. The Fleury’s – Vero and Marc Andre – they accepted me into their family more than the Crosby’s did even when I spent three quarters of my time with Jake in their house.
“Well, I’m pregnant and he’s the father. We only started dating in March and that’s when we conceived too.”
“Oh, you poor thing,” she quickly gave me a hug. She was only a year older than Jake and I, but one would think we had a few years between us with her maternal instincts. “Come on, have you had dinner?” when I shook my head she led me into the nearest bistro. “Get whatever sounds good, it is on me.”
I ended up spilling my head and my heart out to Alice. She didn’t seem to mind and gave me some advice on things. She even drove me back to campus. I was forever grateful for running into her. She and I promised to stay in touch after exchanging cell phone numbers when we reached campus. I thanked her with a big hug and then got out of her nice little convertible.
When I returned to my dorm, Candy was out but there was a note on our message board.
“Call me, J.” I sighed and went into the room. I didn’t even bother changing. I just crawled into bed and fell asleep.
I awoke far too soon as the bile rose in my throat. I quickly sprinted to the bathroom three doors down and let it all out. I then flushed and stood to wash my hands and face at the sink. When I returned to our dorm, I felt drained in all aspects. I changed into my favorite yogas and a tee that Jake gave me before curling up in bed again.
Candy got up and went to class to leave me all alone. I slept for another two hours and then Candy came back with food.
“You have to eat and I know you didn’t get up,” she claimed before shoving a 7 up and sandwich in my face. I thanked her and opened the drink first. Just as I was getting ready to sit up and eat the sandwich, there was a knock at the door. Candy got it and then glanced at me. She wanted to know if she should let Jake in. I nodded and she let him in and made an excuse to leave us alone.
“Hey,” he said quietly as he stood near the door awkwardly. I slowly sat up and sipped some soda.
“Hey,” I let out as my voice squeaked.
“How do you feel?” he asked shoving his hands in his pockets. I shrugged.
“I’ve been better. Today was the first day of morning sickness.”
“Oh,” he said before we reached an awkward silence. He looked to the ground and then back at me. I never let my eyes leave him. He decided it would be good to close the distance between us and came to sit next to me, on the edge of my bed. “Dani, I meant what I said when I said it. But you know that is only an idea. When I am faced with something in the moment, plans change. I’m willing to give this a try because of you. Had this happened with someone besides you, I don’t know if I would do it this way. But I love you, Danielle Lacey Everest. I’m pretty sure I have loved you since we were fourteen if not before. There is no way that I am going to give up an opportunity to be with you.”
“I love you too, Jake. And I would kiss you, but I’m pretty sure my breath still smells,” I giggled and he leaned in to kiss my cheek.
“Now I wish the draft was earlier so we could set up a home somewhere. God, why didn’t I draft last year and defer for school?” he mumbled to himself more than anything.
“Jake, it is okay. We have somewhere to stay until then and that is all that matters.”
“Which teams did you say had good schools in the area?” I laughed at his sudden enthusiasm that came with the change of heart.
“Boston and Raleigh have great educational systems.”
“I have to call my agent and have him throw out some bones. What city do you like the best?” he asked looking deep into my eyes.
“Raleigh,” I replied. I based my answer upon how far it was from Nova Scotia and Pittsburgh as well as how beautiful the city was year round.
“You like the idea of beaches, don’t you?” I smiled without an answer. “Do you need anything?”
“No, I think I am going to eat this sandwich, brush my teeth, and then go back to sleep. Go ahead and have fun. I’ll try and meet you for dinner.”
“Okay, sleep well. If you need anything, text me, I love you,” he kissed my forehead and was gone before I could say I love you too.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, I made two chapters into one. Sorry, not as many chapters but better length. I have the entire ending typed, so I would like one or two comments before updating again! Thanks for reading!