Status: In Progress

Better Together

Graduation Day

As the days went by, Jake and I started to plan more about our future. We went and saw a doctor who confirmed our baby and a due date in December. Now we are at our graduation day. Jake and I went to dinner with our parents last night and we’re planning to leave for our rental house in Berry’s Bay, North Carolina after the ceremony. Jake’s mom had quite the baby belly going on and picked up on my budding bump. We spilled and everyone seemed happy enough.
“How do you feel today?” Jake asked as his arms made their way around my waist. As his hands rested on my small bump, I felt at peace.
“I feel really good. No morning sickness, knock on wood,” I smiled and knocked on the window pane as I stared at the campus in front of us.
“That’s great, are you excited for Berry’s Bay?”
“Yes, I can’t wait to hit the beach!”
“I’m ready for a new city. Sure, I’ve been to Carolina before, but now we will get a chance to live there, for a little while at least.”
“What’s the chatter been saying about the draft?”
“That I will go top ten. We could end up somewhere nice,” he said before kissing the side of my head.
“Okay, so the first ten are Pittsburgh, Carolina, Winnipeg, LA, Edmonton, Montreal, Boston, Colorado, Florida, and Peoria?”
“Yeah and I think Winnipeg or Colorado are the best bets on picking me up. Not where either of us wants to be, but it might be where we end up.”
“Alright, when would we be moving?”
“Sometime in July, we should get settled before you are too far along, don’t you think?” I agreed and sighed.
“Can’t we just hideaway on the beach forever? We haven’t even gotten there yet but I know I am going to love it there. I hate Northern winters.”
“We will have to wait and see. Come on, it is time we enter the real world as Crosby graduates,” he tugged on my hand and I followed him out.
The ceremony was long and Jake’s dad spoke for a while as the founder. Then we received our diplomas and were dismissed to a small gathering of people in the field house.

“Congratulations, Danielle,” my mom said as she squeezed me tight. I smiled and went to see my dad next, then my grandparents and Jake’s too. Rita was the last one I went to and I was super glad she was here. She raised Jake and me through our teen years and I was glad she got to see us finish.
“Dani, Jake, Rita has asked to work for you starting the first day of preseason this year,” Sidney said. I looked from him to Rita and smiled before hugging her.
“We would love to have you, Rita,” Jake said patting my back as I continued to hug her. “What are you going to do when the baby is born?” he asked his parents.
“Rita is going to interview and hire her replacement by the draft and train her. We just want Rita to be happy with her work and she’ll find that with you two.”
“Thank you, Dad. Rita, you will find a great replacement; I know you will.”
“She will, now we better head out to make our flight. Your mother is getting tired. I’ll see you at the draft, Jacob. Good luck until then,” and everyone left us. We made our rounds by our friends and then we went to his dorm.
“I can’t believe this is the last time we’ll live here. There are so many memories on this campus.”
“I know, but we are moving on to a better life. I’ll play hockey and you’ll be a dotting hockey wife and mom. It is for the better.”
“You just said wife, are you planning on popping the question, Jacob Crosby?”
“What would you say if I did?” he looked serious and I thought about it carefully before replying.
“It really depends on the ring, you are my best friend and should know what I like,” while I babbled he obviously pulled out the ring box and hit one knee because when I turned around, there he was.
“Marry me, Danielle Everest. Because you are my best friend,” he opened the ring box and inside was a little handwritten note that read ‘because you are my best friend.’ After seeing that, I didn’t bother looking at the ring, but agreed nonetheless.
♠ ♠ ♠
YAY! What do you all think? I would love comments! I have the rest written, just waiting to post it. Help me out people!