Status: Slow updates.

Louie.

I bet they think we're perfect.

“Ben, we’re going to the mall, get ready.”

My ears catch the words but they don’t process in my brain. I’m curled up in my bed and facing the wall. Sleep runs through my veins and my brain’s already checked out. I haven’t moved in a some time and I don’t plan to. I’m generating body heat intensely and if I move a fraction of an inch I’ll be cold again. It took me hours to get comfortable.

But as I started to realize this summer, I don’t have options anymore.

“Ben, you are going with us to the mall, now” my father says.

My eyes open at his voice and tone. My body jumps out of bed quickly, too quick. As soon as I’m on my feet I can hear a high pitch ring and static. My vision fades and I can vaguely hear my dad criticizing how they’ve been waiting for me down stairs. It feels like pins are pricking my fingertips. I freeze and place my hand on my night stand. My dad pauses when he realizes I’m not okay.

And then it’s gone, and my vision is back. I look up at him, ignore his questioning face and slip past him downstairs.

~

Being in the car feels surreal. I’m in the back of the car with Rockwell beside me and Lorraine on the other side of him. Beatrice sits passenger while my dad drives. Lisbeth and her mother sit in front of us, Louie between them in his booster seat.

Out body heat and the sun should make the inside feel uncomfortable to me, but it doesn’t. I’m still groggy and Rockwell’s shoulder is warm as it presses against mine.

The rattling of the window leaves me to rest my head on my own seatbelt, my head swaying slightly. My eyes start to close again and I start to drown everyone out.

“Ben, we’re here” Rockwell’s voice snaps me out of my state. I realize everyone is already out of the car except for us three because I need to get out first in order to let out Rockwell and Lorraine.

I clumsily climb out of the car, seeing Rockwell's wheelchair already set up, Beatrice standing beside it. He slips into it and props up one of the foot rests to prop up his broken leg, then we head to the mall together.

~

It’s been a couple hours since we’ve been at the mall. Everyone but Rockwell, Beatrice. and I has a shopping bag. Beth has stated it’s time for a lunch break so we head to the food court.

We pass the store my friends work in but I make no move to head inside. I’m too lazy but my blonde friend who jumped into my arms last time, Jared, is close to the display windows and sends me a head nod. I give one in return. And that’s that.

I then realize that a lot of people are staring at us, and then it hits me that we look like a big family. I bet they think we’re perfect.

My anxiety wants to set in but my anger about it pushes it aside and I just ignore everyone.

We finally pick a table and sit down. Beth, Louie, and I remain at the table while the rest go to two different places to get food. My dad goes to a Chinese place with Lizbeth. Beatrice, Lorraine, and Rockwell head for the Italian food.

I’m realizing how bright Rockwell’s cast is when I see it move off of it’s rest. I furrow my eyebrows and see that he’s ready to step out of his wheelchair and he looks angry. Lorraine and Beatrice both look annoyed and a group of boys are talking to them.

But I can already tell that those boys are saying are offending my sisters.

I get up immediately, ignore Beth’s questions and head towards where my step-sister’s and Rockwell are. It’s on the other side of the food court from where we’re sitting and as I scan to look for where my dad , I catch sight of the brunette twins, Will and Miles, and auburn hair, Patrick, my friends.

Patrick catches my attention, he cocks his head to my sister and I give him a nod, we increase our pace.

“Hey, what’s going on here” I hear my voice say. The three strangers hitting on Lorraine and Beatrice look up at me.

“Yeah is something wrong?” Patrick asks, his arm goes around Lorraine’s shoulder. He’s tall and his toned arms are made apparent purposely as he pulls her closer. Will and Miles take a step forward with me, we create a wall between the strangers and my siblings. The guys realize they’re outnumbered, put their hands up in surrender, and walk away.

When I turn back Beatrice is thanking the twins and Rockwell is glaring at the retreating figures.

However I also notice how Patrick still has his arm around Lorraine, their faces are close. His is concerned and her eyes are still afraid.

It comes back to my mind that he was the first one to say she was hot when we came to the mall last time.

Then I realize that I just stood up for my step-siblings.

And when I look back at where we were sitting, I see that the rest of my family as seen the whole thing go done.
♠ ♠ ♠
BAM!
2 months too long. First update of the year.
Hit me!(with comments I hope)