Riveted Dreams

Chapter Three

Image


My gasp of shock when I reached the village was loud. Loud enough to draw attention from the demon who had massacred everyone. To say that I was afraid was an understatement. I’ve never fought before in my life. Which is kind of retarded. How does a demon go about life, never fighting, when her whole world is inhabited by the blasted things humans call evil?

I suppose you could say I was a pretty sheltered kid. My only fear was breaking something and having my dad hit me for it. And he, being a demon as well, hit hard. But he would never hit hard enough to break a bone. That was when he crossed the line, he always said.

But then, one day, a knock came at our door.

“Hello?” a man said on the other side of the door, waiting for us to answer it.

No one replied, the man knocked again.

My dad walked into the room, glanced at me, then at the door with a sigh. “Who is it?”

“’Dunno. I didn’t answer the door. After all, you taught me never to disobey your rules.”

He inclined his head and walked over to the locked wooden thing. He threw it open, only to gasp in shock when a sword went right through his chest.

I jumped up from the floor, yelling, “Father!” My eyes were wide, unseeing. The blood on the floor made me sick to my stomach.

“You,” the man sneered in my direction. “Get over here.” I hesitated. “Do it or I’m going to chop your father’s head off right here.”

Those simple words got me to move. The last thing I would want is my father to die. Especially when it would be my fault in the end. “I love you, Dad,” I whispered, watching his eyes go wide when handcuffs slipped over my wrists, holding them in place behind my back.

“Aww, how sweet,” he growled in repugnance, raising the blade.

“No, wait! I thought--”

The sword was brought down, severing my father’s head from his shoulders. “Never trust a man who breaks into your house, Nikkina. And never trust a man who already knows your name.”


That man taught me something that day. But since I was already handcuffed and my father was dead, I had no reason to hold onto those words.

A giant Cyclops type demon stumbled toward my body, watching with amusement when I took a step backwards. “What’s wrong, are you weak? How dare you call yourself a demon!”

Large, white horns stuck up over his one eye, pointed and sharp. Scales wrapped around his large green body as if he were a snake or a dragon. A foam-like substance formed on his lips, pooling at the corner of his mouth. He stood about seven foot and had a giant club type stick in his hand.

My mouth went dry. Oh, how I wished I had a weapon at that moment. Even a small whip probably would have worked! My eyes cast downward, away from this ugly creature.

His club hit an inch away from my face, a scream leaving my lips. I fell backwards, landing on the ground with a thud. It was a painful fall, no doubt. I didn’t move; I just stared up at the green giant with wide, unblinking eyes. The thing laughed and pulled his arm backwards, getting ready to swing the club again.

I had no reaction time. This thing was going to harm me. I wasn’t a human, but I’m sure this thing could kill me. Especially with my lack of experience.

He swung. I screamed. A flash of silver hair, sword swinging. My head started to pound once again. I closed my eyes against the pain, waiting for the death to come.

The Cyclops yelled in pain and outrage. I opened my eyes against the pain to see what was going on. The Cyclops had a sword sticking out of his chest, dying from it. And, staring straight at me, was the demon that I keep seeing in my mind.

His gold eyes stared confusingly into mine. My blue eyes stared back into his. “Who are you?” I whispered. The pain felt like it was lessening.

A loud thud was heard, the ground felt like it was being shook. Looking over, I saw that the Cyclops had fallen. Is he dead? It didn’t look like he was breathing. The sword was pulled out of his chest, snapping my attention back to my savior.

He was… actually walking away. Without answering my question! I scrambled to my feet and chased after him. “Wait,” I gasped out, fingers closing gently around the sleeve of his Kimono.

“What is it?” His voice was deep, deeper than I had originally imagined.

“I asked you a question…”

“One of which that I chose not to answer. You were not supposed to find out about me. I had your mind erased for a reason. Also, you would do well to let go of my Kimono.”

I felt so extremely weak in this man’s presence. He saved my life. Twice in two days. How many times will he have to save me in the future? I asked myself. My hand dropped but not because of the warning in his tone. Only because I was disappointed; in both myself and this man. “You won’t hurt me.”

“Oh? And why not?”

“You saved me, twice. Why would a person, a demon, save another if they were just going to hurt them in the end? Fate is screwed up by that, you know. Now then. Who are you and why did you save me?”

He turned completely around, staring blankly down at her small form. “My name is Sesshomaru. As for why I saved you, that is information I cannot reveal.”

I stared back up at him, lost in thought. He seemed to be waiting for something. I wondered if it was for me to ask another pointless question. Or maybe.. “Thank you…Sesshomaru.” Sesh-oh-mah-roo. An interesting pronunciation.

He nodded, turned and continued on his way, leaving me there staring at his retreating form.

Damn…
♠ ♠ ♠
Short chapter. :c