Riveted Dreams

Chapter Four

Image


Grunts of pain left my lips occasionally, bark scraping against my legs, tearing skin. Eyes widened when blood splattered across my cheeks. Curious, I glanced down at my leg, where a large cut lay. “Shoot,” I whispered, but forgot about it when I remembered that I healed fast. The cut would heal within at least ten minutes. It wasn’t deep enough to where I would bleed to death, so I started working on strengthening my other leg.

Up it went, slamming into the tree multiple times. Muscles started to ache, cramped after a few minutes went by. That did not deter me, however. It only made me continue more. A person would probably call me stupid. I call myself smart. Strengthening myself so that I will be able to fight off demons without constantly being saved.

It felt like a few hours went by. Sweat beaded across my forehead, back and everywhere it could get to. Muscles ached badly to the point where my legs gave out on me. I hit the ground hard, letting out a small grunt of pain, and gave in to the fatigue. Rest was evidently what I needed at the moment so why deny my body of the things it needs? Heavy eyes drifted shut.

__________

The sweet silence of nightfall fell over me when I opened my eyes. Clearly I’d slept longer than I had originally planned. I honestly felt like an idiot for doing so. Something could have came, killed me. But then, would that guy, Sesshomaru, let that happen? Probably not. But then, anything can happen, right? Right.

Slowly, I stood up, surprised to feel that my body was completely refreshed. I had forgotten what it felt like to not feel pain. It’s nice.

My eyebrows pulled together, my thoughts swirling together at once. I’d trained an awfully long time earlier today, and strengthened my body greatly. I wondered if I could take on a demon yet? It is night, after all, so there would be many out.

I treaded through the grass, the soft blades tickling my skin as it passed. Ears twitched, claws flexed. I felt ready, so very ready. If I had been in my demon form, my hackles would have risen at the sight of the very small demon darting out in my path.

Its eyes narrowed, red and seemingly deadly. Anger flared as it let out a small screech of anger.

I was surprised at how loud it could be. And how inconsiderate. But then, not all demons were good, now were they? Despite being contained for so long, I did not feel hatred toward any humans still. They only did what they thought was right. Only the ones that came after me, I would kill. Those were the ones who deserved the death that waited for them.

A small smile curved over my full lips. They pursed for a second before relaxing. My body crouched, waited, claws poised. Fangs poked out of my mouth when I showed a small snarl.

The demon charged. The thing’s head came to my elbows when I was standing, its skin purplish and deformed. One red eye was larger than the other, too large fangs poking from its mouth. Unnaturally long claws curled back into each other. It was quite a disturbing sight to behold.

I laughed, swiping out my claws as it came near. The thing reared back, perturbed as green blood spewed from its skin. Obviously it had not been injured in a long time. My fingers twitched, eager to use a power that had been contained for too long.

I swiped out my hand once again, five long ropes of light coming from the tips of my fingers. The light was red, poisonous and electric. It wrapped around the demon, sending electric charges through it, causing a scream. As the electric cut through the demon, the poison seeped in. It radiated steam from its body, the poison so strong that the demon started withering away soon after.

I stood, jerking the poison/electric whips back into my fingertips. “That was fun,” I said, smirking. Now that I had my confidence back, I could roam the world without fear. The fear of everything is what holds someone back. It stops them from doing what they believe in. You’ve got to put that fear aside and step up to the plate. Swing that bat and hit a home run.

__________

By the time morning had risen, I was more than energetic. I had slain more than ten demons in one night. Of course, they were smaller, but who cares about size? The point is I did it!

Rustling in the bushes next to me made me crouch, alert. Ears perked up, moving forward rather than back as a slightly familiar scent wafted to my nose.

A head popped up from the bushes, gold eyes staring intently at me. White ears flickered on top of the guy’s head, silver hair blowing as the wind picked up.

I cocked my head to the side, confused. This wasn’t the man who had saved me, and yet he looked a lot like him. Who was this person? Or half demon, rather.

The male stood, never taking his eyes off of my body. He was around my height, maybe five foot, five. Six, maybe. He wore the legendary “Fire-Rat Fur” clothing. It was clothing that was said to protect the wearer from the deadly fire. He was lean, skinny. My eyes narrowed, mouth opening, but before I could speak, he beat me to it. “Who are you?” he asked.

“I could ask you the same thing.”

“I asked first.”

“Only because you beat me to it,” I argued.

“Inuyasha, what are you doing?” A shorter woman with black hair stumbled next to him, Inuyasha’s hands immediately moving to her waist to catch her before she fell.

My eyes softened, mouth curving up into a smile at the obvious display of love.

Inuyasha stared at the girl next to him, eyes never leaving her. She openly smiled at him before turning her attention to me. She looked about seventeen or eighteen and was obviously human, an odd thing to me. A human hanging out with a half-demon? In love, even? The girl was wearing a traditional white miko outfit that brought out her large brown eyes.

“So your name is Inuyasha,” I finally spoke, Inuyasha’s eyes narrowing. His lips thinned into an unhappy line. His disapproval confused the girl greatly.

“Inuyasha, who is this girl? Why do you look so unhappy?”

“This girl is a full demon. I do not trust her.”

My jaw clenched then, teeth grinding together with obvious anger. “You’ve no room to talk, half-demon,” I snarled. “Just because I’m a full demon doesn’t mean I’m going to hurt your precious human. In fact, I was never going to even think about laying a hand on her. So get that out of your mind.” I took a daring step forward. “And another thing, don’t expect me to give out my name to someone who could care less about respecting me.”

“Hello,” the girl spoke softly. “My name is Kagome.”

My eyes snapped back to the girl’s. “You’re going to talk to me? He will let you?”

“I am only trying to keep my wife safe,” Inuyasha snapped, placing his body in front of Kagome as if acting like a shield. This only angered me further.

My eyes flashed red. I leaned forward, my face only inches away from his. “Do me a favor next time, Inuyasha, and don’t assume the worst in me. I would never harm a human unless they attack first. Just because I’m a full demon does not mean I’m horrible. Do you smell death on me? Do you smell human’s blood? That’s because I just came from captivity, you damned asshole,” I snapped, whipping my body around and walking fast away from the two.

“Inuyasha, sit!” Kagome snapped. A thud was heard, then, “Ow, Kagome!”

I ignored them. The girl was fine. I could tolerate her, but if I ever ran into that half-demon again, I swear…
♠ ♠ ♠
Finally! Another chapter.