Status: Updating as often as possible

In The Spring

At Worlds End

The water was ice cold against my skin as my ankles were submersed in the swell and its brisk, bitter bite warned me to retreat.

A sharp, unwavering wind was flying at me, the force of it almost knocking my feet from underneath me, but I ground them stubbornly into the sand, curling my toes against the grains, planting my feet in the seabed until they almost disappeared.

Strands of hair absconded from the clip at the nape of my neck, thrashing and writhing frantically in the wind, swirling around my head as I persevered against the ruthless rush of air. I dragged my feet from the depths of the seabed; heavy, lead weights attached to my legs that screamed at me to let them be as I stepped closer and closer to the horizon.

Further and further into the icy water.

With each step my body jolted, shock coursing through my veins as the cold seeped through my clothes, clawed at my skin, freezing my insides. I thought my heart would stop as the waves cascaded around me, the spray splashing into my face and the rush tried to consume me.

The water was almost up to my shoulders now and with each surge of the sea I had to jump. The ocean was endless, a great, looming vast of watery deep that shimmered for miles and miles and I was captivated. I wanted to keep going, to swim through its mysterious depths, to reach the edge of the world and to see what was beyond.

Earlier as I stood at the shore, my shoes in one hand and the letter in the other, the surf foaming at my feet, I never intended to go this far. But as I drifted amongst the waves, submersed by the blue, I knew I’d done the right thing.

My eyes were stinging from the salt and my sodden clothes were starting to weigh me down but my focus never faltered from the horizon. The infinite line in which the sky meets the land and the world seemingly ends, but this wasn’t about the ending.

The letter had told me to live each day as if my life had just begun.

All of this was about the beginning and feeling alive and I’d never felt more alive in my life.