Status: Having problems on posting the chapter

Bittersweet Memories

01

"Mattie! Finally you're here! Come on, Mr. Beary has been waiting for you!" The young brown eyed girl exclaimed as she pulled on the hand of the older hazel eyed boy. He chuckled as followed her to a small table in the backyard. The girl pushed the boy on one of the plastic chairs beside a toy bear. She sat across from the boy.

"What are we having today, Miss Ari?" He smiled at the young girl who had a toothy grin plastered on her face. A hole where a tooth should be was seen on her front row of teeth. "Today we're going to eat cake I made with the tea that you're going to make. Can you handle making hot tea?" The young girl playfully asked the older boy.

"I'm not sure, Mr. Beary will help me, right?" The boy asked. The young girl shrugged. "You should ask him first because he doesn't really like you, Mattie." The brown haired boy faked his gasp, playing along with her small act.

"Why do you hate me?" Asked the boy while poking the bear. 

The brunette girl smacked the boy's hand and he quickly retreated his hand. "Why did you slap me?" He pouted, staring at the girl.

"You shouldn't poke him. You'll make him hate you more." She scrunched up her nose when she caught the scent of an unsatisfying smell in the air.

"Mattie," She muttered, placing the plastic you cup down. He turned to her with his eyebrows raised. "Yes, Ari?" He asked with a smirk.

"Did you fart?"

***

"Ariana? Will you help me?" I heard mom call out. I dropped my bag and walked over to her. She was picking up a rather big box off the ground. She was surrounded by boxes that were filled with stuff to the top. I moved the boxes away and helped her carry it into our new house.

"Where is this going?" I asked and she nodded towards the kitchen. We both carried it onto the kitchen table and I sighed. 

"I'll go and unpack stuff for my room now," I told her and she nodded with a smile. I went up to my room and sighed at the sight. It wasn't fairly big nor was it small. Just average. I decided to unpack my clothes first as I would need to take a shower and change soon.

After spending an hour on the clothes, I made my new bed with a white and purple covers, decorated my walls with posters of my favorite bands and important pictures, set up my desk table and put on my curtains. I was starting to like my room. 

I looked everywhere for my sling bag and realized I left it outside, by the car. I sighed and rolled my eyes. I ran back downstairs to get it. When I got to the car, I found my bag lying on the ground next to it. I crouched down to grab it and heard someone clearing their throat from behind me. I quickly went back up and turned around.

There was a boy who seems to be around my age. He looks nice, with his choice of clothes. Not to mention the charming look on his face. "Hi," He spoke to me first. I smiled back at him. "Hey," I slung the bag over my shoulder.

I looked over him. He was wearing a blue plaid shirt rolled up to his elbows with a black shirt underneath. Dark blue jeans and Vans. His hair was black which was messy but in a good way. Overall he spelled bad boy with a hint of player.

"Are you just moving in?" He asked, eyeing the boxes sprawled on the lawn. I nodded. I watched him smirk and held out his hand. "Cody." I took it and shook it. "Ariana." His smirk got wider.

"Beautiful name for a beautiful girl," My cheeks went slightly warmer and he noticed it. He chuckled and pushed his hand back into his pocket. "So, where you from?"

"Alabama." He nodded.

There wasn't much to talk about, though. We just stood there, in the awkwardness. "Hey, I think my mom needs some help unpacking. I'll talk to you soon." I said to him with a smile and he smiled back.

"Of course, but I can help if you want to." I shook my head no with a smile. "No need to. I'm sure you were just on your way home when you passed this house." He chuckled once again and he pointed to the house next to mine.

"This is my house. I can go back anytime I want. Now come on, I'll help you unpack." He grabbed a random box off the ground and started to make way into my house. I rolled my eyes with a small smile on my lips. I also grabbed another box and made my way in.

"Mom, somebody's here to help us unpack. He's our neighbor." I called out, knowing mom's just in the kitchen. "What's his name, hun?" She asked out loud.

"Cody. I live next door," Cody said loudly and mom walked out with a smile. "Hi Cody, you really didn't have to help us, but thanks anyway. Do you want anything to drink?" Mom asked and he shook his head no.

"Not yet," He smiled at her. "Well, it was really nice of you to help us, so let's start on the kitchen. Come on," Mom motioned both of us to go to the kitchen and Cody immediately went into the kitchen. I dropped my bag on the ground and catches a glimpse of the gift I had received from Mattie. It was a small teddy bear that I couldn't sleep without. Well, at least until I reached the age of 11.

I rolled my eyes, wanting to forget about him as I strolled into the kitchen. They were busy unpacking the plates and bowls. "What took you so long?" Cody asked me and I shrugged. "Stuff," I replied and continued with what they were doing. 

"So what made you guys move here to Huntington Beach?" cody asked and I let mom take this one. "Things went bad in Alabama, so we decided to move here to forget about everything. Besides, we really love the beach." She said and I nodded. Good thing of her to not say things in detail.

"Got a brother?" He asked me. Yeah, he lives with my dad. 

"No." In the corner of my eye, I could see mom eyeing me with suspicion. She's probably wondering why I said that. "Sister?" He asked again and I shook my head.

Cody probably noticed the tension in the air. "S-sorry for asking." I turned to him with a genuine smile. "It's nothing, really." I said and he smiled back. 

After unpacking the kitchen, we went on tithe living room. We finished half of it when we stopped for a break. Mom gave us both mountain dew while she settled with cold plain water. "What school do you go to, Cody?" Mom asked him and I suddenly got interested.

"I go to Huntington Beach High School. Not much high schools here." He shrugged and I saw mom's face lighting up. "Great! You can help Ariana around school! She's going there tomorrow," Mom said and Cody smiled widely. "It'll be my pleasure," My face was scrunched up in confusion. I was going to Huntington Beach High School?

I heard him chuckle so I turned to him. He winked at me with a smirk and I cocked an eyebrow. He stood up and so did mom. I stood up because mom lightly kicked my shoe. "Well, it was nice helping you guys out. Thanks for the soda," He picked up the bottle. "But I have to go back home. Mom's making dinner." He said with a smile and mom smiled back. 

"Thank you so much for helping us," Mom walked over to him and hugged him as a sign of kindness. When she pulled away, she looked at me as if she was expecting me to hug him also. I walked closer and I saw the smirk on Cody's face and the playful gleam in his eyes. I was starting to not trust him. 

I held out my fist, motioning him to bump his fist with mine. He pouted at me but bumped his fist anyway. Mom sent me a look as Cody made his way to the front door. "Goodnight Miss..?" He asked mom.

"Carla Owens." She replied. "Miss Owens and I'll see you tomorrow at school, Ariana. Bye," He waved to the both of us. He closed the door behind him and immediately mon squealed next to me. "He was such a gentleman! Oh sweetie, I can see you both dating already!" I stared at mom expressionless. 

"You seem more excited about him than me. Promise me you won't make us your OTP," I said as I picked up my bag and my soda. I ran upstairs and heard mom call out to me.

"What's OTP?" I giggled to myself and shut the door.