The Bakers

Moving

I've been in school for 2 months, now. It's October and everyone's getting ready for Halloween.

“Will Penny Baker please come down to the main building? Repeat: Will Penny Baker please come down to the main building? Thank you,” I heard over the loud speaker.

Me, Maya, and a girl named Angela was working on our Halloween project together. I stayed seated and continued working, ignoring the announcement.

“Penny, you heard the announcement! Get to the main building,” my teacher, Mrs. Welch, said.

“Yes ma'am,” I mumbled. I slammed the door as I left the class. I see Lillian making her way down to her class. She bumped into me, and I could tell it was on purpose.

“Sorry, trash, I totally didn't see you there,” she said.

“Must be bli-,” she was already in her class before I finished the sentence. I wipe that last statement from my mind and exit the building. I then enter the main building and make my way to the office. Everyone calls it The Principal's Corner. I see my parents, Rose, and Mrs. Hayley, the principal.

“What's the matter?” I ask, cautiously.

“I'll just leave,” Mrs. Hayley says awkwardly to my parents.

“What's going on?” I question.

“Were moving to Florida. You can no longer attend AGPS,” my dad says.

My worst nightmare entered the living. “What? Why? You can't just relocate us in the middle of the school year! I've been going to school with most of these people all my life! It's all I've ever known!”

“I can, and I will. Go to your dorm room and pack your things. Were leaving in 4 hours,” my dad said to my outburst.

“Penny you are not the boss of this family! Now, listen to your father and pack your things! We're big your little, we're tall your short, we're smart your dumb and there is nothing you can do about it, young lady!”

Turns out, while I was at school my family was busy packing up the house. That's how I found myself pouting in the back seat of our Chrysler. I didn't even get to say goodbye.