What They Really Think

The Rock

Knowing that my journey with this mineral was over, I threw it in the city’s dumpster, knowing that soon it will end up in the ocean where I hope nobody would be able to find it. I don’t want what happened to me happen to anyone else.

It all started on a bright and sunny day. I was out one afternoon walking in the park when I came across a stone lying on the ground. It had a mysterious purple glow. Entranced by it, I immediately picked it up and put it in my jean’s pocket. I always felt kindly towards rocks, ever since I was a little girl. Now I have this beautiful rock to add to my collection. Some people think it’s strange for me to have ten shoe boxes full of different types of rocks.

I slammed the door and started the car. I had to hurry and get home before I somehow lose my latest addition.

A minute after I got home I heard the doorbell ring. I was admiring the rock and I wrapped my fist around it as I rushed to the door. I took a glance out the window, and seeing that it was my boyfriend, Wilbert, I opened the white wooden door. Me and Wilbet have been going out for approximately 2 years. I practically loved him, and not just for his handsomeness. He had sloppy brown hair, brown eyes, and a great laugh.

“Hey Trina, just wanted to see what you was up to,” he said, flashing his pearly whites.

‘Ooo, that is one great body,’ I heard inside my head. “What did you say?” I asked.

“I said I wanted to see what you were up to, was thinking about going to a nice fancy restaurant tonight,” he replied.

‘oo, yeah, she working that,’ his voiced popped into my head.

“No not tonight babe,” and at that, I slammed the door. “What just happened?” I asked myself. A sudden pain entered my hand, and that’s when I realized that I was still clutching the rock. I was holding on to it so tight that it caused blisters on my hand. I ran into my bedroom, pulled out the box with the brightly colored rocks, and carefully placed the plum colored stone on top. It looked great with the various hues of yellow, green, and blue.

I cooked me some chicken and rice for dinner then prepared for bed. As I sat up in my bed I thought about my boyfriend’s voice inside my head. I still didn’t know if I was just hearing things in my head or was that his thoughts. I laid my head on the fluffy pillow and pondered over this until I finally drifted into a deep sleep.