Status: Hello readers, sorry I will not be updating till 5th June (due to exams) hang on until then please:)

The Fortune Teller

But there's a black chandelier, it's casting shadows and lies.

“Okay, our plan for the day is to go shopping after you teach those cute little kids. Meet me in town, text me half an hour before you get there.” Rissa informed Charlotte, as she walked into the kitchen.

Charlotte nodded her head, taking a sip of coffee. This was a newly formed bad habit. She knew she should be staying away from anything that might disrupt the functioning of her body but this daily caffeine boost kept her alive and from succumbing to sleep half way through the day.

She was prim and proper today, her blonde hair twisted into a tight bun at the top of her head, a pink ribbon securing it in a neat bow. A black three quarter length sleeved leotard, along with baby pink coloured tights underneath. She had her wellies on her feet, since the snow started to fall early morning. Charlotte was taking no chances today. She certainly didn’t want to end up at work with colourful bruises to match her pretty leotard. Plus the little kids were brutal when you didn’t look immaculate. More intimidating than Madame Lavelle and that is saying something.

“Alright, I’ll see you in a bit!” Charlotte called out to her as she headed towards the door.

Placing her coffee mug by the front door, she picked up her bag pack and wrapped herself into her coat. She walked slowly towards her car, praying to god even though she was not remotely religious, that her faithful car would not break down. She sat in the driver’s seat, turning on the engine, letting the windows defrost and allowing herself to adjust to the freezing conditions in the car.

“And a bit of Shakin’ Stevens, Merry Christmas Everyone to wake you all up and get in the Christmas spirit...” the radio man said in a abnormally chirpy voice, he must’ve had caffeine shots to be that happy at this time.

A healthy rumble of the car had Charlotte kissing the steering wheel of her car. She smiled happily, finding time to sing along to the song as she drove. Nothing could kill her happy mood now. She cut the engine as soon as she parked the car.

“I am here!” Charlotte called as she walked into the dance studio.

“About time!” Scarlett shouted from her office.

Scarlett was the main dancer in charge of the teaching the children, she knew practically every dance under the sun and Charlotte admired her for that greatly. Charlotte knew a bit of modern jazz and tap dance but her main sole dance was ballet and always will be. To be honest, no one could imagine Charlotte to be surviving on her wages that she has from teaching the children but she was doing well, dance was mega expensive in her eyes compared to what her parent’s paid when she was a young in. But in the hierarchy in their work, Charlotte was Scarlett’s second in command, Madame Lavelle was above Scarlett, as she owned the building and taught the older students as she dislikes children, Charlotte once quoted ‘they are ditzy idiots that aren’t mature enough for my knowledge’, there were also volunteer dance students that were in college or sixth form that helped out on daily basis. It was quite a solid business, Charlotte was proud of both Scarlett and Madame Lavelle for the effort they put into running it.

Scarlett poked her head round the door, raising her eyebrow at Charlotte. “You don’t normally look this neat?” She questioned accusingly, her Yankee accent lilting higher in pitch.

She was originally from America, New York but at her young age of 30, she retired from dancing in Broadway shows and came to Sheffield, of all places. There is more of a story behind it as Scarlett fell in love with a man that was from here, and he is now (poor guy) her husband. Their love story seemed perfect in Charlotte’s eyes, another reason to why Charlotte admired her.

“Well, thought I might make a change. I hate the judgemental looks I get off of the children.” Charlotte replied with a grin.

“Yeah, they do give you judgemental looks.” Scarlett laughed in agreement.

“Gee, thanks.” Charlotte grumbled, moving towards the changing rooms.

She took off her wellies, leaving them to dry by the radiator and placed her ballet shoes on. She had a few minutes of time to kill, her back relaxing from its perfect posture. She thought back to the other night, it has been two days and she still hasn’t spoken to Rosie, not a peep. She didn’t dare, it was not technically her fault that her friend is wrapped in the tight binds of jealousy.

Charlotte watched as the little girls come filing into the changing room, a chorus of ‘Morning Miss Charlie’ chirps. She smiled softly at them before walking out of the room, allowing the girls to change. There were a three boys that also did ballet, some of the best dancers in the class, she thought, reminded her of Luca Lavelle.

“Hello Charlotte.” Luca called as he walked into the dance studio.

Charlotte’s lips twitched into a smile. “Hi Luca, how are you doing?”

Luca rolled his eyes playfully. “My aunt is killing me overdrive, I think I may have bruised my back.” Luca mumbled.

“Show me.” Charlotte said, motioning for him to lift his shirt.

“M’kay.” Luca said.

He lifted his shirt at the back, turning around. Charlotte winced as she noticed a big ugly purple bruise covering the left upper side of his back near his shoulder blades. She touched it tenderly, hearing a noise of complaint from him, she immediately pulled away.

“Sorry, but yeah tell your aunt, you shouldn’t be doing anymore for at least a week.” Charlotte murmured, pulling his shirt down for him.

From the corner of her eye, she saw a familiar figure bending down and waving goodbye to a little girl. Charlotte didn’t move away from Luca, instead using his physique to hide behind. That’s when she realised who the familiar figure was, her long wavy hair was shielding her face but as her browns eyes met with Charlotte’s, she gasped. It was Robyn.

Charlotte didn’t even know what to do. She mustered up a strained friendly smile in her direction. Robyn glanced at her, then at Luca who must’ve looked too close to Charlotte from her distance. Robyn smirked at Charlotte before walking out of the dance studio.

Charlotte just watched her walk out in shock. She hoped she didn’t get the wrong idea, almost immediately she stepped away from him. Still stunned by Robyn’s appearance, it was uncanny.

“See Scarlett, and ring up Madame Lavelle to cancel for the next few days and we won’t start till after Boxing Day. It makes sense then.” Charlotte muttered as soon as she shook out of her daze.

Luca nodded, furrowing his eyebrows in concern for Charlotte but didn’t mention anything. He’d rather her tell him when she was comfortable than him prying in her business.

***

It was a long couple of hours, Charlotte was knackered. The children were all restless since it was their last lesson till after Christmas. She noticed that the little girl that Robyn dropped off was picked up by a different woman, the little girl shouted ‘mummy’ so Robyn was either a friend or her auntie. It still shocked her to see Robyn, since for one, she didn’t particularly like her for the most obvious of reasons and two she didn’t trust her either.

“Please start.” Charlotte cooed softly to her car.

The engine refused to start up, making spluttering noises then choking out. Charlotte slammed her fist on the steering wheel, letting out a frustrated groan. It took her a couple of minutes to realise that she could call her father, perks of having a mechanic for a father.

“Daddy... hello... are you in work today?... yeah that’s good cause my car has broken down... no don’t go saying women are shit drivers... sorry I know I shouldn’t swear but could you please pick me and my baby up?” Charlotte finished her call with her father after he promised to pick her up as soon as he could.

In just over ten minutes a pick-up truck arrived, she hopped out of her car, grabbing her bag with her. Sloshing in the snow in her wellies towards the truck, opening the door and got inside whilst her father did what he knows. Soon they both arrived at the ‘The Cho Sho’, Charlotte’s bad mood lifted instantly, the familiar smell of oil and gas filled her nostrils, as weird as it sounds it reminded her of when she was younger and much happier.

“Your car is gonna be in here for a couple of days, we need to order in some parts and cause it is a vintage build, it will take yonks.” Steve informed her. He was trying his hardest to be as formal as he could, she could noticed that he desperately wanted to laugh in her face and he totally would of if it weren’t for her father being in a meeting in his office.

“Thanks Stevie.” Charlotte grinned cheekily.

Steve muttered ‘bitch’ under his breath before rolling his eyes playfully. “You’re welcome Lottie.”

Charlotte laughed. She was waiting on Oliver to come by. He said he would drop her off in town when she informed him of her mishap with her car. She texted Rissa quickly, letting her know what was going on and she said it was okay, knowing her she was probably still in bed with Tom.

“Charlie?!” Oliver called as he walked into The Cho Sho.

Charlotte jumped up from her seat, pulling her bag over her shoulder. Thankfully she changed out of her leotard and tights in the garage toilets. She was now in a pair of black acid wash skinny jeans along with a colourful knitted jumper to match, her green parka coat over to keep her warm. She replaced her wellies with her burgundy velvet doc martens.

Oliver wrapped her up in a big hug, kissing the top of her head. She grinned at him, waving farewell to Stevie as she walked out of The Cho Sho with Oliver’s arm wrapped securely round her waist guiding her towards his car.

She noticed that she had to slide into the backseat, luckily Rissa was sitting next to her in the back and Robyn of all people was sitting in the front passenger seat.

Charlotte was stunned, here she was again, she is like a bad smell, Charlotte thought.

“Hello.” Charlotte mumbled whilst fastening her seatbelt.

Rissa was crossing her arms as if she was pissed off, probably either had a fight with Tom or pissed off at the fact Robyn was in the car with them. Charlotte decided to let Rissa’s mood simmer down before asking.

It was probably the second most awkward car ride, Charlotte has been in. Charlotte jumped out of the car as soon as Oliver pulled up outside the centre of the shops. Rissa slammed her car door and stalked towards the direction of the shops. Charlotte glanced at Oliver who sighed heavily, his eyes watching Rissa to.

“I’ll see you soon.” Charlotte murmured, not even bothering to hear Oliver’s reply, she ran after her friend.

“Bitch, what a fuckin’ skank, she knows nothing, just trying to cause more shit.” Rissa muttered bitterly.

Charlotte wrapped her arm around her friends shoulder. “Hun, it is okay, retail therapy will make it better!”

Shopping a week before Christmas probably wasn’t the smartest idea the pair have had. Charlotte did manage to get Lucy a book and her father a large framed picture of Charlotte, Polly and Ava. She was stubbed on what to get Oliver’s parents. She felt obliged especially if she was spending Christmas day with them. So in the end she remembered Oliver always talking about his mother’s cooking being his favourite so she got her a vintage style cooking book that has old dated weird and unique recipes, then his for his dad she got him a paintballing gift voucher that is both Tom and Oliver’s presents too. Charlotte still got Rosie a present, a monkey onesie along with a Christmas cookie scented Yankee candle. Then Rissa was difficult since they were both shopping together, Charlotte had to use various decoys in order to buy and look around, soon Rissa realised since she was shopping for Charlotte too. In the end she went for a safe bet and bought her pair of doc martens she was eying and a lion onesie. Soon all she was left with was Oliver’s secret Santa present. She wanted something witty yet worth her money.

Charlotte made Rissa wander with her further away from the main shops and into the weirder quirky shops. She wandered into a deserted shop that was called ‘Bits and Nobs’, it may have been the name for the reason she dragged Rissa in with her. She noticed an A5 book that had a woven front cover with all sort of symbols covering the front. She thought it would be perfect for Oliver when writing down lyrics or any ideas. She picked it up and then wandered towards the mugs, picking one that was a heat change mug with a picture of a dog that looked like Oskar. Rissa raised her eyebrows, not asking any questions even though her stare told Charlotte that she knew who her secret Santa was.

“So I guess Oliver is your secret Santa?” Rissa asked nonchalantly.

“Yeah, how did you guess?” Charlotte grinned cheekily, as they walked out.

“Wow, your luck is astonishing.” Rissa laughed. “Sorry for being a bitch before, Robyn was saying some shit that got me feeling like... shit.”

Her eyes looked so sincere that Charlotte gave her a big hug. “It’s okay, I actually saw her at my work, she was dropping off her niece I think.”

“Coincidence?” Rissa raised one eyebrow.

“I think not.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Short filler chapter, a bit delayed oops buts that's because I started to skip writing a few chapters and start writing the end (silly me!)
But omg thank you so much to all who have recommended this story, 25 that's like so big to me haha:) Plus over 100 subscribers now too, glad that it seems like you are enjoying this story so far!
Scarlett Jones
Ah a big thank you, hope you all comment on what you think so far and continue to subscribe:) much love all.
p.s next chapter should be out on sunday!!