Status: Hello readers, sorry I will not be updating till 5th June (due to exams) hang on until then please:)

The Fortune Teller

In these bodies we will live, in these bodies we will die.

The sun was slipping through the clouds, trying to make a break through. Outside was frosty, the air thick with murky iciness. Charlotte rolled in her bed coming to a halt when a figure was sleeping beside her. She opened her eyes drowsily, coming face to face with a very hung-over Rosie. Rosie was hogging most of the quilt and snoring softly, her makeup running down her face revealing a slightly green pallor.

Charlotte’s teeth chattered, coldness hitting her solidly, the joys of winter. She rolled out of bed, pulling her dressing gown on as she walked round her cottage. Her head was thumping but at the same time her stomach was grumbling loudly, she stumbled into her living and stopped dead in her tracks.

There were bodies of men lying across her couch and on the floor, covered in her excessive quilts and pillows. Thor too was huddled between Tom and Oliver. A rumble of snores came from them all, almost in harmony. Charlotte smirked, she remembered who they were. She could almost remember last night too, her memory shoddy in a few places but as an overall she knew she was fine, that it wasn’t a gang of rapists sleeping on her floor, it was in fact the weird goons that Rosie knew. She could hardly remember how she got herself into bed either, or how Rosie ended up there too.

Charlotte sat at her table, placing her head in her hands, feeling the full effect of drinking catching up with her. Zelda jumping onto her lap, Charlotte stroked her fur thoughtfully. She could see empty bottles of vodka and whiskey lined up beside the bin. Charlotte winced, surely they didn’t drink that much.

All she remembered was coming home from the Pub after a few glasses of coke and brandy, that Matt so kindly and enthusiastically kept providing her with. The walk home with Rosie was eventful as she couldn’t even stand upright so Lee ended up giving her a piggy back ride. Then Charlotte came up with the spontaneous idea of everyone coming back to her cottage. She had to admit it was a pretty good idea. Basically everyone sat round chatting, shooting insults at each other even Oliver joined in once the whiskey hit his system.

She got up from her seat, getting herself a glass of water and a painkiller to help rid of her headache. She was going to retreat back to bed, but she knew she had to prepare some sort of food for them. Luckily, she was an expertise in the kitchen, since her mum lacked skills in the kitchen department. It was always up to Charlotte to cook. She didn’t mind it. It often soothed her and provided her with some sort of entertainment and an excuse to get mucky.

She managed to get a big platter of pancakes out, then large bowl of random fruit. Charlotte licked her lips, her stomach still rumbling. She could hear people arising in the living room, groans and mumbles. Charlotte smirked. She hoped to god their hangovers will kick them in the head as much as hers did. The first to make an appearance was Tom, his hair was ruffled and his bright blue eyes were clearly dazed.

“Charlie, did you make all this food?” Tom asked, raising an eyebrow.

Charlotte nodded her head, not trusting her voice. She cleared her throat. “Yeah, I didn’t know what you guys liked, so there’s a mix along with Frosties in the cupboard.”

Tom grinned boyishly. “Nice one, god. Yeh are like the first lass we’ve had to cook for us, apart from my mam. All our friends that are girls can’t do a thing for a fuck.”

Charlotte watched Tom, shovel pancakes and fruit onto a plate along with a glass of water. He sat beside her at the table soon enough both Vegan and Matt joined them along with their own plates full of food. Charlotte turned on the radio The Rolling Stones filled the room with their song Paint It Black. She closed her eyes slightly, a small smile on her face. She liked this, she liked the company. She just liked the feeling of people being there. Charlotte may have a chronic bitch face disorder or just a simple introvert but she loved the feeling of people being around, the whole hustle and bustle of it all, just being on the outside watching satisfied her.

Thor rumbled his way in, causing fuss amongst the lads who each in turn picked him up, crooning over him. Charlotte rolled her eyes, the dodgy bugger. Rosie stormed her way in, grumbling like a gremlin. She practically gagged at the sight of food, she got a water bottle from the fridge along with painkillers before making a mad dash to what Charlotte could guess, is her bed.

The rest of the guys piled into her kitchen, perched on the counter, all at least snacking on some food. Charlotte closed her eyes once again, her eyelids practically drooping on her. It wasn’t until she felt her body being picked up in someone’s strong but lanky arms. His smell of sweet muskiness mixed with remnants of last night’s aftershave stuck with her. She felt herself getting tucked in bed alongside Rosie.

***

“Thank fuck, I have recovered. I am not joking but that was the worse hangover I have ever had!” Rosie groaned.

It was the next day and Charlotte met up with Alannah in their local cafe. Charlotte was feeling sore all over from her Ballet exercise ritual, plus she just came from teaching four to ten year olds how to Ballet, probably one of the most difficult things ever. Charlotte was in her scuff, a jumper over her leotard and hair in a tight bun at the top of her head.

Charlotte took a sip of her hot chocolate, before looking at Rosie. “I could guess. So what the hell is going on with you?”

Rosie smiled meekly, putting down her latte and lifting her gaze to meet Charlotte’s. “I met them at a party a couple of months ago, never thought of it. I kept seeing Lee around, so in the end he gave me his number. We’ve met up as a group a couple of times since then. They are all cool guys. Very genuine and I don’t know, I feel as if I can have something with Lee.”

Charlotte smiled softly, reaching for her best friend’s hand and giving it a gentle squeeze.

“That’s good and it really does seem that he is into you. But I think you are going to have to make the first move.” Charlotte nodded her head.

“Really?” Rosie smiled in slight disbelief. “Well, so what about you then? Who do you like?”

Charlotte rolled her eyes. “Can’t I just be friends with guys without having to like one of them?” She asked accusingly.

Rosie rolled her eyes this time. “So there is someone?” A mischievous smile upon her face.

“Good lord no, not at this time. I don’t need a guy at this moment. I am having too many family problems to even think about relationship.” Charlotte admitted, her eyes wide with frustration.

Rosie noticed this, kept quiet and nodded for her to continue. There was something that they both know about each other, their families were confusing. Rosie’s dad abandoned her and her mother when she was one and now only recently has gotten back in touch with her, she was feeling perplexed about her situation. But Charlotte was lucky, her father has always been around even when he remarried to Lucy and then had two other children, Charlotte’s father was always there, supporting and guiding. Lucy was also like a second mum to Charlotte. In a way Charlotte was very lucky, it was just that her mum was tricky. Always has been.

“Cool, but remember you are young, no need to keep on with this protecting yourself from all this drama. Live your life.” Rosie spoke softly, her eyes meeting Charlotte’s.

“Whatever Ro, drop it please.” Charlotte bit her lip, looking away from Rosie’s stare.

Rosie nodded her head, “So what is the big deal? Are you going to have to move out?”

Charlotte sighed loudly, taking a big gulp before speaking. “I don’t even know. Brian was speaking about how I don’t do anything for the house and basically I am not needed there, that they want to have kids so I have to geg out of their ‘new’ family.” She frowned deeply.

“That bastard, he can’t kick you out of your own house! What did your mam say about it?” Rosie asked, her brows furrowing in concern.

Charlotte let out another big sigh, biting her lip. She cleared her throat before continuing. “Nothing, after everything we went through together, she said nothing.” She let out a harsh laugh, “and you know what was horrible to see, is that she smiled at Brian as if he was her world and looked at me blankly, fucking disgusting.”

Rosie frowned, her lips settling into a pout. “Blinded by love, she’ll realise soon especially if he has been screwing around behind her back. But I think it’s a good thing too, an excuse to leave that part of your life behind you and start a new chapter.” She smiled positively, squeezing Charlotte’s hand.

Charlotte plastered a smile upon her face. “Yes, a new chapter.” Charlotte took another gulp of her hot chocolate, fishing for a marshmallow to chew, “so would you do the care of helping me to find an apartment?”

Rosie’s eyes lightened up considerably, or maybe it was the caffeine kicking in. “Of course I will!” She squealed with a grin to match her tone.

Charlotte rolled her eyes. “Good, I will meet you this Saturday, here at 12 sharp. And we will apartment hunt.”

“Okay, also you are coming out with me on Saturday night.” Rosie said cheerily.

“Really? I suppose so...” Charlotte trailed off, thinking back to her hangover yesterday, Rosie was clearly doing the same thing as her face pinched up in disgust.

“We will just avoid alcohol at all costs.” Rosie laughed jovially, Charlotte couldn’t help but join her laughter.

***

After meeting up with Rosie, Charlotte was feeling rather down. She didn’t want to go back home and maybe face her mum and Brian. She wanted to stay out as long as she could. She sat in her car for a while, sitting there thoughtfully. It was hard to her to find time away from the constant buzz, with her helping out at teaching ballet and her social life she shares with Rosie, then the occasional family drama that is ongoing. She knew if she was at least six years younger, the first place Charlotte would retreat to would be her grandmother’s house. But since she passed away when Charlotte was seventeen, Charlotte had to find a new place to retreat to.

It wasn’t hard that she found her father’s garage a rather atypical haven, when Charlotte found herself pulled outside the garage dryly named ‘The Chop Shop’ both ‘P’s were unlighted so the garage got its local name as the ‘The Cho Sho’. She got out of her little beat up vintage Volkswagen beetle and walked into the garage.

Charlotte looked like the type of girl to be flouncing around shopping (as much as she loved the occasional shop) but at heart she was a real tomboy, her long wavy blonde hair, ice blue eyes could fool anyone. Most reasons for her being a tomboy was because her father, Ricky used to be in a local rock band, (explains Charlotte’s love for music) he did very well up until he got signed. Charlotte was conceived just after the release of his band’s first album and immediate tour, her mother sunk into postpartum depression and could not physically cope, her father had to abandon his whole music career to come home and protect his daughter from his unstable fiancé, there were bitter feelings mutually and soon it ended in brutal divorce. Her father never went back to his band or music, he always had a talent for tinkering especially car’s, so with his (little) money of the success of his album and tour, he opened up his garage and twenty years on, it’s one of the leading garages (within their town) with hope to expand across into other towns.

Charlotte admired her dad, always. She was a typical daddy’s girl, even after he found a new wife, Lucy. Whom Charlotte grew to love, and her half sisters, Ava (fourteen) and Polly (sixteen), Charlotte found comfort in her father’s side more so with her mother.

Charlotte stepped into the garage, walking past the workers, smiling slightly, murmuring her greetings. She made a beeline for her dad’s office, where he was sat in his chair, his eyes closed with a newspaper across his chest. Charlotte leaned in the doorframe, watching him curiously. He didn’t look like he seemed to age, always looking the same. His dark brown hair was rumpled, oil over his face along with muck, his ever tanned skin (unfortunate Charlotte didn’t inherit that, as much to her dismay) and his lean figure. His hair was greying but he still had that boyish youth attached to him, it almost felt as if nothing has changed. Led Zeppelin was on across the speakers within the garage the faint song of ‘Black Dog’ could be heard.

Charlotte let out a cough, announcing her arrival. She could see her dad shoot up in his seat, a guilty look across his face until he realised it was his daughter then he let out a laugh.

“Don’t shock me, thought yeh knew better than that to surprise yeh ol’ man.” Her father chuckled, folding the newspaper away, to stand up and greet his daughter.

Charlotte hugged her dad. He pressed a kiss on the top of her head. They pulled away Charlotte sat down in the chair in front of his desk, tucking her knees underneath her. Her dad sat back down in his chair.

“To, what I owe the pleasure?” Ricky smiled cheekily.

Charlotte rolled her eyes. “Can’t a daughter want to visit her daddy in work?”

Ricky let out a sigh, sneaking a wink. “Normally yeh come to visit me when yeh are after somethin’.”

Charlotte let out a dramatic offended gasp. “You think oh so low of me.”

Ricky laughed, Charlotte joined in, letting a smile creep its way onto her face. That was something she loved about her dad, the way he could put a smile on her face within minutes or even seconds of conversation. He was such a likable person.

“Now, me dear Charlie, what is up with yeh?” Ricky asked, a serious look upon his face.

“Just troubles with mam, what do you expect?” Charlotte sighed.

Ricky nodded his head slowly. “Nothin’ less, but must be pretty bad if yeh are speakin’ to me about it.”

“I will put it this way, I need to go and look for a new apartment.” Charlotte bit her lip.

Ricky grumbled loudly in annoyance. “Seriously? Charlie dear, yeh need some backbone. She can’t bloody kick yeh out of yeh own cottage.”

“No, I don’t want to be around her anymore. I have stuck around for as long as I can, and Dimwit is driving me nuts so the more reasons to go.” Charlotte argued.

Ricky cracked a smile. “I guess that is a valid reason. But honestly Charlie, now yeh will have to get out quickly before she changes her mind, yeh have been given this opportunity.”

Charlotte nodded her head. “I know I will. I am going apartment hunting this weekend. I am hoping to get out just before Christmas.”

“Good, I will help if needed. Also, Lucy hasn’t seen yeh in a while and I think she needs yeh to keep her sane around Ava and Polly.” Ricky smiled softly.

Charlotte grinned fondly at the mention of her crazy half sisters and Lucy. “I will be down soon for sure. Is Polly still with her fella?”

Ricky let out a big sigh. “I don’t know. That girl has more mental emotional breakdowns than the flippin’ soap dramas put together.” He let out a chuckle.

Charlotte rolled her eyes playfully. “You don’t mean that, she is just a teenager.”

“Yeah, right.” Ricky said in disbelief.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is filler-ish chapter, but just shows a bit more about Charlotte, the next chapter for sure will be more exciting:) i'll try to update at least every weekend or more if i can!
Also thank you all for the lovely comments! And subscribing too! Please continue to do so if you want to stick around to see Charlotte and Oliver's story grow:)
Much love, hope you all have a lovely weekend!