To Live and Let Go

Rush of the Past

(Chapter One: Rian)

The constant loud noise of voices filled the long echoing hall as Rian walked down the familiar corridors since he had spent four years of his youth trapped within these four walls. And now, he found himself beginning his first year as a substitute history teacher at his old high school. Nothing had changed within the years he had been freed from this place.

The halls still had the nasty color to them, though now the paint was peeling and screaming to be repainted. All the lockers were the same and he figured if he opened his old locker he would find the Blink 182 sticker Jack had stuck to the door their senior year. Even most of the teachers that he had when he was a kid were still there, shocked that he had returned as a teacher all those years later.

One of the only good things about being back was that Alex was also a teacher there. They had been hired around the exact same time and he had been dubbed as music teacher. Rian honestly was a little jealous at that. Sure he loved history, but music was his life. But it made more sense that Alex was the new music teacher, after all he played guitar, piano, and sang. So it kind of made sense for him to be hired as the music teacher.

Rian really only stuck with the drums when he was a kid. He had tried guitar but really never put any real thought into it since he had loved the sound of drums from a young age on. But history was just as good. There was a good stack of books on history he had at home and always brought a few along when they had toured.

The school had been running low on teachers, and somehow they had been offered the positions. And even though they didn’t have a teaching degree, they were dubbed permanent subs and given the teaching position of the classes that didn’t have teachers. The school didn’t want to add any more stress to the already overworked teachers so that’s where Alex and Rian fit in. Rian’s mom was also on the school board and she had pulled a few strings and gotten them the jobs since they were in need of them.

Jack and Zack already had found jobs, Jack working at a local Starbucks and Zack as at a gym as a trainer. Alex and Rian had been the ones that really couldn’t find a job. But now thankfully they had one, if only temporary. Rian really hoped he wouldn’t have to be a teacher for more than a school year at most. Music was still his main priority, even if they were on hiatus.

It had been about a year since Dirty Work had been released and it took the time in between for them to mutually decide to go on hiatus. After all the crap they had gone through with recording Dirty Work, they were a little put out by it. Once they had finished touring for it and beginning to realize that it was time to start writing for the new record, none of them felt like it was the right time. So they had mutually decided to go on hiatus, specifically using that term instead of ‘breaking up’ since they didn’t want to, they just needed a break.

So because of that, Rian now found himself as a teacher at his old high school, walking down the hall to find his new classroom. He had been there once or twice before to move in his desk and materials that he had planned on using for the year. Though he was so nervous about his first day that he wanted to get there slightly early in case he happened to forget where his classroom was.

As he continued down the hallway, classroom close by if he wasn’t mistaken, he realized that the same name was being repeated over and over by the students. It was funny to him, that not even twenty minutes before the doors to the school had opened and in that little time, all the kids were already gossiping. But there they were, leaning up against lockers, laughing and talking about one name in particular, Finley Collins.

He had heard that name a few times by the principal when he had met with him a few days before to go over things needed to be done for the school year. Mr. Reynolds hadn’t given him the full story, just saying that Finley was returning this year and that she was far behind the rest of her class and in need of catching up so she could graduate. But from the looks of it, the rest of the school already knew what Rian didn’t about her and he kind of felt bad for her. He remembered what it was like being the new kid, being stared at and talked about, he could only imagine what the day was going to be like for Finley.

“Rian!”

Said boy couldn’t help but laugh as he heard his name being called, instantly knowing who it was. But how couldn’t he? He had to deal with the obnoxious boy for ten years now. He was bound to recognize his voice without having to turn around.

He slowed his gate so that Alex could catch up and smirked as he saw the slightly older boy with a huge grin on his face. “I’ve been calling you for five minutes, didn’t you hear me?”

“I highly doubt that,” Rian replied as he glanced at the two cups of coffee in Alex’s hand and laughed.

“Already trying to suck up to the principal? It shouldn’t be as bad as high school you know. You grew out of most of your obnoxious behavior. Thank God Jack’s not working here though, that’s a disaster waiting to happen.”

Alex just rolled his eyes and offered one of the cups to him, “From Jack. I stopped in earlier, that’s why I was a little late, and he gave us them on the house for our first day.” Rian took the cup and noticed that there was messy handwriting written next to his name on the cup. Recognizing it instantly as Jack’s.

Don’t fuck up too much on your first day. Give ‘em hell and say hi to Mrs. Benson for me.

Rian snorted as he turned to Alex, “What does yours say?”

I love you Lexy-Poo, make sure not to cheat on me with any of your students.

“Typical Jack,” Rian muttered as he walked into his class with Alex right behind him. The room was still empty since all the students didn’t actually want to get to their first class of the year on time, still wanting to rebel to bring summer back. That had been Rian back in high school and it was nice to know that some things hadn’t changed in the time since he had graduated.

Alex sighed, “Yeah, I think he did it purposefully so that Reynolds hates me even more than he already does.”

“Yes because Jack is always out to get you.” Rian answered as he began going through some of the papers he had out on his desk at the back of his room. “But either way, Reynolds hates you. You and Jack weren’t exactly the honor roll perfect students back in school.”

Alex grinned at that and Rian knew the other boy was particularly proud of how often he had been sent to the principal’s office for whatever Jack and he had gotten in trouble for each week. The two boys were exactly how they were back in high school, class clowns and looking for the next thing to use to get into trouble. But everyone in their class, including Rian, thought they were geniuses. Though, only Rian knew one of the main reasons why they did it.

All through high school, once their band had been brought to the attention of everyone at Dulaney, they were told they couldn’t do it. That being in a band was a one way ticket to nowhere and they were doomed from the start. At that time, acting out was the only way to get back at the teachers for bringing them down until they could actually make a name for themselves. So it was kind of nice to come back to their old high school as successful people in the music industry.

Yes being on hiatus sort of showed that the teachers had been right, that it was doomed from the start, but that’s what they were thinking. It wasn’t the truth. They planned on getting back to music. Hell, the four of them still got together at least once a week to play and Alex was still writing like crazy, they just needed to sort a few things out and get their heads back on straight. Not to mention find a new label. But that’s what the break was for. To do just that. Rian planned on leaving the school once again to show all the teachers that doubted them that they were living their dream and no one could bring them down. Even now.

By then, Alex had gone back to his own room since the bell was going to ring in a matter of minutes and the students were going to start coming in. Rian was still in back by his desk when the first few students walked in, glancing at him and whispering about who he was as if he wasn’t in the room. He just ignored him.

It wasn’t anything he wasn’t already used to it. He was in a popular band after all. They had to deal with fangirls all the time. A few stares and whispers were nothing as long as no one hit on him. That would be hard to deal with. He was only a few years older than these kids and it would be weird. But whatever, he would have to deal with that if it ever happened if it ever did.

The class was almost full and the bell was just going off as Rian began making his way to the front of the class as a few late students rushed in sending him apologetic looks. Rian just smiled to them showing he really didn’t care, especially on the first day. Once the class was settled, he glanced at the papers in his hand before looking up and smiling to his first hour class and taking attendance quickly.

“Hey guys, so I know it’s your first day here so I’ll go easy on you. Trust me; I know how you all are feeling. If I was a student here again, I wouldn’t even be in class. I’d be at one of the hiding spots in the back of school with my friends instead of listening to some stupid teacher drone on about what to expect for the year.”

One of the guys sitting in the front row raised his hand and Rian nodded to him, “where would that hiding spot be exactly?”

“Like hell I’m telling you,” Rian laughed as he threw the stack of papers down on the boys desk. “But because you were actually listening to what I was saying, I’ll allow you to pass these around to the class.”

The boy just smirked and rolled his eye as he split the stack of papers up and began handing them to the kids around him without getting up. Ha. Looks like a lot of things hadn’t changed since he was in school.

“So,” Rian continued as the papers spread through class, “because you are all seniors, I’m assuming you know how to read so I’m not going to read what’s on that paper out loud. I know it sounds difficult, but let’s at least use our brains a little on the first day back. Any questions on the hand out so far?”

A girl in the second row raised her hand and Rian smiled to her, “Is All Time Low ever getting back together?” Rian should have seen that coming. Of course some of the students are going to concentrate only on the fact that the two new youngest teachers in their school was in a band.

He was just about to answer the girl when the door to the room opened and Rian glanced over to see which student was now late when he saw the familiar black and blond hair and goofy smile of the guy walking in. Jack smiled happily as he waltzed in the room and Rian only raised a brow and watched the guitarist in amusement as he strutted to the back of the room. All eyes of the students were on Jack as he took a seat at Rian’s desk and gestured for Rian to continue.

“We never broke up, just taking a little break from music for a while. It doesn’t mean we’ll never get back together. Do you really think I want to be a teacher for the rest of my life instead of playing music? C’mon people, schools boring.”

A few cheers came from the class and Rian saw Jack smirking more from where he was at, at the back of the room. He really hoped the younger boy wasn’t going to be there long; he wasn’t going to focus if he was there all day. But luck really wasn’t on his side that day as the door to his classroom opened once more and Alex walked in with a smirk exactly like Jack’s on his face.

“Really?”

Alex shrugged, “really.”

“Mr. Dawson,” another student asked, making Rian focus back to his class as Alex went back to where Jack was and high fived him.

Rian sighed, “Is this another band question?” He asked as the girl nodded. “What happened to this being a history class? Last I checked this wasn’t a class on the history of All Time Low. We should actually get some work done.”

“Oh c’mon Mr. Dawson, it’s the first day.”

He just rolled his eyes, “ok fine. But after today we actually have to get things done. I’m not always going to be lenient like this.”

The class all seemed to smile in triumph as everyone started talking at once. Some seemed interested in asking questions while the rest just wanted to talk to each other. Rian didn’t really care though, tomorrow they could start getting to the actual course work, today could just be a chill day. As it was, this class was probably going to be his most difficult. It was his first period after all, and no one wanted to get stuck in something boring like history for their first class. He knew what it was like, all four years of school he had been stuck with math as his first or second class of the day and hated every moment of it. Maybe if he let everyone relax the first day it wouldn’t be so bad.

Jack and Alex were giggling and talking with each other in the back and when they caught his gaze, Rian just rolled his eyes as the other two laughed. A few hands came up and Rian looked to his students again as he called on one of them.

“So does that mean that you’re working on new music on your break?” A girl asked as Rian shrugged.

“You’re just going to have to wait and see like everyone else.”

Alex raised his hand, “Mr. Dawson, what’s it like to have such amazing bandmates?”

“I wouldn’t know. My bandmates are annoying as hell.”

Jack pouted, “Oh c’mon. We’re not that bad.”

“That’s true, Zack’s an angel compared to you two.” Rian replied as all the kids started laughing more. “And no speaking without raising your hand Mr. Barakat, there will be order in my classroom.”

Jack pouted more but raised his hand nonetheless, “Mr. Dawson, are you going to join me for Mr. Gaskarth’s class today?”

“You bet your ass I will,”

The rest of the class went through random questions and banter from Alex, Jack, and Rian. True to his word, they got nothing accomplished at all that day and used the class time for talking and questions. When the bell rang, everyone left to go to their next class and Rian shook his head as he joined the other two at the back of the class, grabbing another stack of papers for his second period class.

“What are you doing here?” He asked Jack as he shooed the two guys away from his desk so he could prepare for class.

“I was wondering the same thing myself,” Alex added as they both looked to the youngest boy waiting for an answer.

Jack just shrugged, “I work only half a day. I wanted to come and bug you guys and then go out to lunch later to celebrate your first day. Zack will meet us wherever we go. I invited him along with me but he had his private fitness class he had to teach today. Are you really coming with me to Alex’s class?”

“Yeah, I have a class this period but third I’m free.” He said turning to Alex. “I thought you had a class first hour.”

“I thought I did too, but it changed randomly. So I’m free this hour and had nothing better to do.”

“So did you and Jack plan this?”

Alex shook his head, “no. I had no clue that he was here. I was just coming since I had nothing better to do. I was really shocked that Jack was here.”

“So I take it you both have a class this hour?”

“Yeah but once this class is over, I’ll come down to Alex’s class for some payback.”

Jack smiled widely as Alex rolled his eyes and mentioned that he needed to get to his own class to prepare. Rian nodded and wished him luck as Jack followed behind Alex as they headed out to the hall and back to the music room. As the class began to fill up, more stares and whispers came and Rian had a feeling that all his classes were going to turn out like his first one did.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey there! So I've had several different ideas for Rian story for a while now and this is the only one that really made the most sense and would actually go somewhere and have apoint. So here it is. I hope you guys will like this! Please comment and tell me what you think! =D