Status: Updates will be as Frequent as Possible!

Forsaken Vengeance

Chapter One

One Year Earlier

Everyone was busting around the hallways full of excitement for the ball that was a week away. I rolled my eyes at the thought of it. It might have been that because I was a third year and wasn't allowed to go unless invited that annoyed me, but just the thought of having to wear a dress, when I wasn't at home, irked me to the core. Part of me was happy I couldn't go. I guess being a year younger than my friends had its perks sometimes. Standing up on the steps, I raised an eyebrow seeing my sister walking this way.

"Great," I muttered.

Reagan Rowle, princess of Slytherin, and the constant pain in my ass. She paused in front of me, her grey eyes sparking with irritation.

"I thought I told you to wait for me by the herbology room."

I shrugged easily and looked down. My older sister could be frightening when she was pissed. And of course, her irritation was always directed towards me.
"I forgot."

Irritably, Reagan grabbed my arm and towed me behind her as she stormed towards the great hall.
"Seriously, Annalise, I'm a little tired of hearing that."

"W-Well, it's the semi-truth. Would you rather me just tell you that I couldn’t care less about what you told me to do?" I was thankful that my stuttering was becoming more under control these days with normal conversations.

Reagan yanked me down onto the bench at the Slytherin table and growled, "Can the attitude. I'm not putting up with that today." As she turned away from me, I stared up at her for a moment. She was very pretty, there was no doubting that. Almost all the Slytherin boys were infatuated with her, along with most of the other male students at Hogwarts, but her bitchiness sort of overtook any of the other good qualities she had.

Rolling my eyes, I looked over to the Gryffindor table and smiled as I locked eyes with my best friend. Harry grinned and waved at me, and I smiled back. He stood, beginning to make his way over to me. I gave a slight shake of my head and nodded towards Reagan and my brother Ronan, Reagan’s twin.

I saw a flicker of irritation pass over his face, but he sat back down. I sighed to myself and turned away. My brother and sister had never liked my Gryffindor friends. As I began to pick at my food, Reagan took a delicate bite of her lunch and asked, "Have you thought over what I said? About Marcus Flint?"

My face was automatically pulled into a grimace as I recalled our discussion the night before. "Not even if my life depended on it."

Ronan glanced up from the paper he was reading and frowned at me. I knew he was good friends with Flint, so what I said probably hadn't been the best choice. "What's wrong with him, exactly, Annalise? He's a decent kid, and he comes from a good family. Father approves."

"He's also an ass who thinks he's the smartest guy in the world. He's not even cute. Actually," I corrected, thinking it over. “He doesn’t even look remotely like a presentable human being.”

"Hey, watch the language," Reagan scolded, frowning at me. "And it's either Marcus Flint as your date, or you can forget about going."

Ronan nodded in agreement. "I won't have my sister seen with anyone less than suitable. It would be an embarrassment."

"Maybe I could just go with Harry." I smirked. "I mean, going with one of the champions is very special indeed."

Reagan and Ronan both rounded on me, and I shrunk under their gazes. "Don't even joke about that," Reagan snapped, slamming her fork down. "That's unacceptable.”

"H-He's just a friend. Relax." I muttered. Having both my brother and sister on me was horrible. I knew I was reaching close to the end of the short limits I was allowed.

Ronan stood irritably from the table; he straightened his prefect badge and gave me one last look. "Either Marcus Flint, or nothing."

With that, he grabbed his bag and disappeared from the table, probably off to torment a few first years. I sighed and grabbed my books before walking away silently. I didn't want to go to the stupid ball anyways, I thought to myself. And, only being a third year, I couldn’t get in without a date that was in fourth year at least.

Passing a group of the Durmstong boys, I smiled politely and waved at Hermione standing there with Krum before walking into Transfiguration. I dropped my bag down onto the table and propped my chin on my hand, my mind whirling from irritation. Who in their right minds would want to go with Marcus Flint? And why on earth would my brother and sister be stupid enough to think I would want anything to do with him? I shook my head, sighing again.

I heard the door behind me open, but I didn’t look up. I didn’t have any friends in this class anyways, so I knew no one would want to talk to me.

“Annalise?” asked a voice with a thick Russian accent. I lifted my head and turned to stare at the boy behind me. He was tall, and very muscular, definitely one of the Durmstrang boys. His short black hair was spiked, and his brown eyes were warm. I raised a brow as he approached me.

“Yes?”

“My name is Dimitri Makarov. It is pleasure to meet you.”

“Uh,” I said, blinking up at him, a little stunned. “Hi. I-I’m Annalise Rowle, but y-you can call me Lise.”

“Lise,” he said, smiling. “Is very pretty name. I wonder, do you have date for ball?”

My green eyes widened, and I stuttered once again which angered me, “Uh, uhm, n-no, I don’t actually-“

“Would you enjoy to go with me?”

I felt my cheeks flush, and I mumbled, “Uh, y-yeah, yeah that’d be really great.”

Dimitri smiled and gave me a small bow. “It is date then. I will meet you by stairs before the dance, yes?”

“Y-yes,” I agreed. Dimitri came forward and took my hand, giving it a swift kiss. As the gong to signal classes rang, Dimitri backed out of the classroom and left me in a daze as I stared after him.

ღ ღ ღ ღ

“A Durmstrang boy asked you to the dance?!” Hermione squealed, grinning at me wildly. Her excitement brought a smile to my face.

“Yeah, Dimitri…” I frowned, unable to think of his name.

“Dimitri Makarov!” she finished for me. “He’s one of Viktor’s friends. He asked me about you earlier.”

“He did?” I asked, raising my eyebrows in surprise. She grinned and nodded.

“Well look at that,” said one of my most favorite people in the world. I grinned up at Fred Weasley as he dropped down onto the couch next to me. I spent most of my evenings hanging out in the Gryffindor common room, seeing as all my friends were there most of the time. Fred was more than just a friend, though. He was pretty much my big brother. Since the moment I met him, he’d taken me in and acted more like a brother than Ronan ever had.

He slung an arm around me and said, “Now remember, always use protection, LeeLee,” he began, using his nickname for me. I felt my cheeks turn bright red and I pushed him off of me.

“You’re insane!” I laughed as he ruffled my copper hair.

There were footsteps on the stairs, and I glanced up, then smiled at Harry. He gave me a troubled smile back. “Still haven’t found a way to open the egg?” I asked him; Harry plopped down beside me and dropped his head back.

“Not yet, but I’ll get there,” he assured me. As I settled back in between my two best friends and listened to the chatter around me, I realized one important thing: I still hadn’t told Reagan or Ronan my new plans for the dance, and I could almost guarantee they wouldn’t be as thrilled as Hermione was.

But for now, I brushed off my worry. I was with my friends, and that was all that mattered at the moment.