Status: Please check out my new story, "Sasha."

What Happened to You, Me, and Us?

Foolish

Early the next morning, I woke up with warmth and confidence in my heart. We talked and slept the through the night. It was simple and honest. No sex, just comfort.

I heard a strange noise from around the house. It sounded as if someone was coming up the staircase. But that was impossible...after all no one knew we were both here, right?

"Zack, wake up! I think someone is here."

"Shhhh, stop being paranoid and go back to sleep, Lo!"

He placed his index finger infront of his thin lips, signaling me to shut up.

"Zack, I'm fucking serious! Who knows that we're here?"

He cracked both eyes open and had his forearm resting on his forehead.

"No one. Gena knows I stayed the night here but she knows nothing about you being here. Besides, she'd never show up."

The footsteps got closer to the bedroom door and by now Zack was sitting up fully alert, with shock on his face.

Before I could jump up and hide, the door had flung open. And honestly, I'm glad I didn't get a chance to run. She deserved to see the truth. And I need to see if Zack would tell the truth.

"Um, Lauren?"

Gena stood in the door frame, mouth dryly open and eyes glassy with water.

"Babe, it's not what it looks like."

Liar.

"Seriousy!? You're fucking married to me! You told me you were coming here to write stuff for an album."

"Gena. I was...I mean I did. Well."

"Well, what? I can't believe this. She's in one of your shirts. You fucked her."

"Hello Gena, first of all you can address me as Lauren instead of 'she.' And I'll clarify this right now, we had zero sex. None."

"Babe, Gena. I love you. Lo just came over to hang out and talk about Matt. We just fell asleep. Nothing sexual happened. And there were no intentions of it."

I felt anger surge through my body, causing me to jolt up out of the bed.

"YOU. FUCKING. LIAR. We fucking kissed. We told eachother we loved eachother. You told me you wanted to end your marriage."

Zack's face shot red.

"What's she talking about, Zack?"

"I'll tell you exactly what the fuck I'm talking about, Gena. You've snagged yourself a good for nothing, pompous, lying, bitch ass, piece of shit husband. Have fucking fun with him. You're lucky he has pity on you for your cancer or else he'd leave your clingy ass."

I dipped down and picked my shoes up off the floor and marched out. As I headed for the door, I made sure I shoulder bumped Gena just so she knew we weren't cool anymore. Not that we ever, truly were anyway.

I was once again, played for a fool. I hate the baker boys. I didn't love Matt. I never did. I think I was just settling for one brother because I couldn't have another. And as for Zack, I was speechless.

***********************

After a few days of deciding that I needed to be single, I sought after my cousin for his wisdom. Brian and I met on the beach by the pier, with Pinkly, Brian's dog, as his aquintance.

"You're killing me, Laur."

"Psh, how do you think I feel, Brian. I have no clue where my head is, much less my emotions." I took a sip from my coffee as we walked up the shore. "God, he was so speechless when Gena was in the room. He barely said shit and he certainly didn't say anything truthful."

"Honestly, I probably would have acted the same if I was in his position."

"Like why the fuck would you tell me to come over when your wife knows exactly where you're going to be, regardless of whether or not she thinks you're alone."

"Cus' he's Zack. You damn well should know, that his thought process is never fully thought out well, by now."

I rolled my eyes and lit up a cigarette as we found a patch of dry sand to sit on.

"Why? Why, Lo? I know Zack so well, and I told you to leave him alone. You've already been through shit with him. Let it be. Leave the past alone."

"Ugh, I know. I think I've definitely got the picture now, Bri. Just....what do I do about Matt?"

"What do you mean?"

"I don't want to be with him...at all."

Brian pulled Pinkly onto his lap and stared off.

"You'll drive these guys mad."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means that you're fucking crazy and flip floppy and should probably stay single for the sake of man's sanity."

"Well, that's an awfully nice thing for you to say!"

"Oh, shut up. You know it's true. You never know what you want and then you teeter totter back and forth between two guys that you should just stay away from."

"I don't know, Bri. I feel like Zack and I are supposed to get back together."

"No. You want to feel that way but you know deep down that it's not right. He's already proved too you, multiple times, that he's basically toying with you. He's my best friend and from a guys point of view, he's trying to have a Mrs. and a mistress. Stay away from him, damn it. Learn your lesson and let it be."

"What is this? A Beatles song?"

"Cut the 'tude, and listen to my advice for once."

"Okay, can we just discuss something different?"

He nodded and we stood up and began to walk back to our cars.

"So tomorrow is Jimmy's annual memorial show. You'll be there right?"

"Of course. You know I'd never miss that."

"Cool, cool. Austin will be there..."

I rolled my eyes and huffed. Just what I needed, another run in with a former fling. As a teen, I always had the same friends as Brian and the guys, and Austin Carlile was one of them. His band, Of Mice and Men, were apparently done with their long tour and back home. Brian always wanted Austin and I to work out for some reason. I think it was because it was someone he trusted and knew would be good to me. Also, someone who was not Zachary Baker. I knew Brian was probably getting tired of being stuck in the middle of Zack and I.

"What happened to me needing to do mankind a favor and stay away from men?"

"I didn't say jump his bones and pair up with him. I'm just telling you he'll be there..."

He cocked an eyebrow and winked at me.

"Besides, isn't he dating that model?"

"Who? Jen? I don't know anymore. Apparently, they're just 'friends.' Aka they fuck eachother on the reg."

"Cool."

We reached our cars and Pinkly trailed behind us shortly.

"Cool?"

"Yeah, cool, Brian."

"Someone sounds a little butt hurt." He connected his middle finger to his thumb and plucked my shoulder.

"Why the fuck would I be jealous about Austin tapping some girl?"

Brian rolled his eyes and hopped his car with Pinkly. He rolled down the window and had a typical, Synyster Gates, smirk on his thin lips.

"Do yourself a favor and figure out what you're going to do with Matt, Lauren."

With that said, he turned the radio up and took off.

Matt was still in Italy and wouldn't be back for two more days. It would be beyond fucked up for me to break his heart while he's out of the country.