Status: finished!

Aphrodite

quatre

Everything that surrounded Anabel was always a mystery. The way that she slipped a piece of paper into my notebook after days of barely catching my eye. The way that she always seemed to be looking until I did, and then she would avert her eyes like they were never there in the first place. The way her curvy handwriting scratched across the paper displayed an address, one that I recognized but couldn't place the exact location. Nothing came out straight when it came to her, it was all misconstrued into a tangled mess until it wasn't recognizable anymore.

As I drove to the address, my truck sputtering every time I adjusted my speed, I tried to figure out exactly what I was doing. For all I knew it was a prank, “Gorgeous Girl Lures Nerd Boy Into a Trap”, I could see it all over the internet now. That thought alone almost made me want to turn around, but I kept going, believing in my muddled mind that she had the best of intentions.

I slowed down in front of the address on the paper and found myself by a park. The sun was setting, casting it in a sort of half shadow, and it was empty except for a girl sitting on a swing, pushing herself back and forth. I parked and got out, slowly making my way towards her. I wasn't sure what I was going to say, or what I was even doing here. That realization hit me as soon as I was standing in front of her, my mouth open but not words escaping.

“Hello,” she said, her voice soft. She looked up, her eyes catching mine, and I sat down next to her. Her hair was twisted into curls that cascaded down her back and there was a daisy poking out near her ear, almost hidden but not quite. Her eyes were lined in black, some smudged in random places and her lips held a pale red color. I was suddenly aware of my plain white t-shirt and slightly ripped jeans that I felt like I had been wearing my whole life, clearly not a match for her. There was silence for a minute, the sound of the wind blowing around us the only sound that could be heard, and I opened my mouth, hoping something would come out.

“I'm Caleb,” I said, sticking my hand out awkwardly, attempting to break the silence that had settled over us. She laughed and stood up, putting her hands on her hips and turning to face me.

“I know,” she said, grabbing my hand and shaking it. “I'm Anabel.”

And then she smiled, a smile that could compete with the brightness of the setting sun, and I smiled back, feeling like I had just won some kind of prize.

But with every prize comes a burden, I just didn't know mine yet.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ah, it's been forever, sorry guys. Let me know what you think?